TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Bumper Fabrication - DONE - PIC added

I am attempting my first real fab project; a rear bumper. I am making out of 5"x2"x3/16" stock. I plan on shackle points and 2" receiver. I think I have a good grasp on the overall design of the bumper. What is throwing me is how to mount??? If any of you have some pictures of the mounting of custom rear bumpers I would appreciate seeing them. I am basically building the bumper that Downey Off-Road offers for the Tacoma, so if any of you own this bumper I would love to hear about how it mounts up.

Thanks for the time,
Brent

Thanks for everyone's help.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
See the link to my pics below, this should help...

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
On my Stout Equipment bumper, the mounting brackets are 1/4" thick ANGLE IRON, that slides along the frame rails from the side and bottom of the rails. Unfortunately, I have no pics.

I would at least make it out of angle iron for added strength. The mounting should be stronger than the bumper itself. Otherwise, you'll have a strong, heavy bumper that will simply cave into the tailgate or fall off if rear-ended or the truck slams onto a rock during a departure angle. Better that the bumper get bent, than the mounting brackets or frame.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
One of the earlier designs that Demello did on his rear bumper was to pancake 3 pieces of 3" wide 1/4" bar stock, run that through the bumper for the shackle point and bumper mount, then leave out the middle piece back where its bolts to the frame and it then just sandwiches around the frame. He used that before switching over to laser cut brackets.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Brent13 said:
I am attempting my first real fab project; a rear bumper. I am making out of 5"x2"x3/16" stock. I plan on shackle points and 2" receiver. I think I have a good grasp on the overall design of the bumper. What is throwing me is how to mount??? If any of you have some pictures of the mounting of custom rear bumpers I would appreciate seeing them. I am basically building the bumper that Downey Off-Road offers for the Tacoma, so if any of you own this bumper I would love to hear about how it mounts up.

Thanks for the time,
Brent
SEARCH!!! I've been collecting pics for mine for the past two months, got a large file and plenty of ideas

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Brent13 said:

Thanks for the time,
Brent
You can use square tubing, angle iron, burly plates, etc. Rear bumpers are pretty easy to mount, just have the mounts squeeze the outside of the frame rails.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Burly Plate??

Thanks Mike, that picture really clears it up. Also, what the hell is a burly plate??? After seeing your picture I think I will go with 3/16 square stock or maybe even channel stock. The square stock that you used, what size is it?

Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Mike said:
You can use square tubing, angle iron, burly plates, etc. Rear bumpers are pretty easy to mount, just have the mounts squeeze the outside of the frame rails.

Later,
....Mike

While were on the subject :rolleyes:
Big thanks to ya mike, I got alot of useful info from your site. :saw:

Josh

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I don't know if its a consideration, a bumper as stout as the one your descibing as your planning to fabricate, you may consider reinforcing the outer part of each side of the frame up to the front leaf spring purchases. I can think of a variety of good reasons to do this at the same time. If the bumper it going to be drug, or used to extract another vehicle, thats a fair amount of leverage against the lightest and least reinforced part of the frame. The frame is .120 square wall tubing and the area where the cross member is, is open on the inside. Anyways, a thought.

Wally

·
Registered
670 Posts
Im too lazy to try and find the Thread on my Bumper, but heres a pic of it. 4"x2" .25 wall with CNC Machined(by me) Shackle Tabs and Hitch.

its a Stem Built BIATCH! :saw: :welder:

·
Registered
670 Posts
My brackets are .5" Thick by 1.5" Wide

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
what and ugly fawking bumper :D O wait, i think i got the measurements from you a few years ago for mine that looked well just like yours ;) simple, looks good and you cant hurt the damn things, thanks mike for the help back in the days :kewl:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is done......

I finshed my first bumper last night. The only welding I "farmed out" was the shackle point welds. My welder just does not have the power to weld one inch thick material. I did not want those coming apart when pulled on. All the other material was 3/16" steel. I ended up mouting to frame with channel stock. It is ready to work.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts