TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a simple rear bumper next week as my stock one is about to fall off.. What materials are best and what design? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
pressure treated lumber;)

seriously though 3/16 box seems pretty popular

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I am doing one in in 1 3/4" tube in the coming couple weeks. 4130 chromaly I believe at .095 thickness. I prefer the tube to the box look.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
me to, but i have a new taco with no money, and i like how she looks just as she is

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
me to, but i have a new taco with no money, and i like how she looks just as she is
see ot thread on post whoring....whoops i 'm guilty too LOLZ

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm looking at building a simple rear bumper next week as my stock one is about to fall off.. What materials are best and what design? Thanks for the help
I made mine out of 3/16" - 3"x4" square tube

·
Banned
722 Posts
Yeah I'd say Square tube is the easiest to work with. 3/16 is not extremely heavy but is very strong. 2X4 for the main on mine.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I think it depends to a large extent on what you do with the truck. For rocks I prefer the plate style usually made from rectangular tubing as there is typically more resistance to them being bent from bashing them on rocks. For other types of wheeling the tube styles are probably better because as a general rule of thumb they tend to be lighter.
There are exceptions to every rule though. For example DeMello makes some heavy assed tube style bumpers.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I made mine out of 2"x2"x.120". It has survived a HELLUVA beating. It's built like sliders, with one outer rail, another under the pinch seam. I highly recommend you consider something under the bottom and around the sides to minimize damage when coming off obstacles and the back drops down...

:( My truck used to be so shiny ...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I like the 3/16" rectangular designs. If you want to mount your tags to it it'll need to be 6" high. If you want it to have a built-in reciever, don't get over 2" thick.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Here's my design:
* 3x5x1/4 inch rect. tubing
* 2" reciever hitch (re-drilled hitch pin)
* Two shackle mounts, 3/4 plate, welded on both sides of bumper.

* Link

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Yeah I'd say Square tube is the easiest to work with. 3/16 is not extremely heavy but is very strong. 2X4 for the main on mine.

if you dont mind, im going to borrow your idea of rotating the sqaure tubing like you did on the sides. :kewl:

·
Registered
838 Posts
someone on this board has a nice simple, but i think awesome rear bumper, its 2"x6" with a flip up plate holder which exposes an integrated 2" hitch. it may already be posted, but i just can see it b/c of the internet blocks here at work.

·
Banned
722 Posts
if you dont mind, im going to borrow your idea of rotating the sqaure tubing like you did on the sides. :kewl:
Have at it. I got the idea from JH3. Check out his old bumper build for his taco. I think his corners look a little cleaner but he used 2X4 all the way around instead of the transition from 2X4 to 2X2.

someone on this board has a nice simple, but i think awesome rear bumper, its 2"x6" with a flip up plate holder which exposes an integrated 2" hitch. it may already be posted, but i just can see it b/c of the internet blocks here at work.
Something similar but not quite a flip up

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
One thing others and I have found with the flip up license plate holders is that your plate winds up getting hammered to shit in the rocks. It's best to move the plate up to the tail gate and out of harms way.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Was it Brian or Todd's dad who did that? I forgot.
As I recall he had the same thing in the rear too. You definately don't want to tangle with that shit on the freeway. LOL

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Was it Brian or Todd's dad who did that? I forgot.
As I recall he had the same thing in the rear too. You definately don't want to tangle with that shit on the freeway. LOL

I should have taken more pics of the mounting...I didn't even look.....

I wonder if its mounted to the 'stock' bumper mounts, seeing as its sitting just in front of it. As ******* as it is...I bet there is not much holding it in place.

And I LOVE how he used shackes on the corners, but just welded them in place......strange.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts