TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I have the typical rear bumper rot. Does anyone know of a place where I can get a cool/tough looking rear bumper for my 99 taco w/out spending lots of $$$$??? Any info is much appreciated, and as always, thank you in advance>

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your rear bumper with the rot visible?

I'm right in the middle of painting my entire frame with MasterSeries paint... and I did sand a little bit of the inside of my bumper and paint that. I'm curious to see where these bumpers typically rot from, so I can prevent it by paying special attention to that area.

If you have a picture, I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
there are not very many cheap ones. most people who are building them want them to hold up and be as strong as they need to be. they dont like the reputation of making cheap things. i personally have had a bentup rear bumper for a couple of years now and i am fully impressed with it. the only thing i wish i had done differently would be to not have it powdercoated and had it sprayed with bedliner. but like the others said, look around in the vendors section and see what you can find. there are many different makers of rear bumpers and they have a good difference in some of their prices.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That all depends on what you call a lot and what you intend to use it for. Sometimes less in not less and more is not more, more is in fact less and vise versa.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
There is no reason you can't spary it with bed liner. I don't know why you would want to do it but there is nothing stopping you. Just skuff up the existing finish a little and have them spray away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have a picture. it is rusting through directly under the liscence plate. I worked at a toyota dealer for 8 years and they pretty much all seem to do it. it looks like if you had a trailer hitch ball on the bumper, it would tear right out of the middle. your message says that your from mass, where? so am i

·
Registered
42 Posts
Look for a used...

after market bumper from a wrangler or a ranger. The mounting width is almost the same as the Taco.

I found a stout one and mounted it to my hitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
kap
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing