TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hav a 95 4- runner 3.0 v6 4x4 .I put a 5" lift on and 150 miles later vibration and a binding arcing noise. My rear diff sounds like nuts n bolts,Im running 31x10.5 x15s on street and 33x 12.5 x15, what is the best gear ratio for rear to not dist. front diff. and do you think lift could have done it their was no noise or anything before lift done by me check by my ase cert. tech he said want a job ;lol.my? is what gear ratio should i use and any help to find one cheap.lol.nearest cleveland ohio thanks to all hope this is the right place for this thread.Ive been told 4.55 or 4.87 are factory gears but no luck on witch one.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The best gear ratio for the rear is the one that matches the front...

Here is a link to the gear codes:

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

You can find out what gears are in it by the VIN sticker on the drivers side door sill (assuming that the gears haven't been changed). Most 4 runners have 4.10 if its a manual transmission, and 4.56 for an auto.

Either should be fine with 33" tires.

The vibration is likely caused by improper pinion angle because of the lift.

Good rule of thumb is that over 3" of suspension lift requires you to correct pinion angle.

3 options for this:

1. Shims on the spring perches and or carrier bearing drop kit - Quick and easy, but doesn't always work.

2. CV type driveshaft - expensive.

3. Cutting/rewelding of the spring perches - the right way to do it, but more work involved.

Also, if the front/rear gears WERE mismatched, you can easily blow them up when you use 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for ur info i bought it 1year ago i dont know if they changed them or not but after lift 150 miles i didnt even ingage the 4x4 and it started to make it a few people said the angle issue too makes sinc to me but rough country says no way!! ya way it did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
covhmrepairs
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing