TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was crusin thrugh some muck in my newly acquired Taco (99 TRD automatic) and used the rear diff lock a couple times. All seemed well. On the way out of our local pits, i got stuck on a steep incline and decided to try the lockers again.

(might be important to know i DONT have an extended breather on my tranny case and was going through some DEEP water) I wasnt a retard and i DIDNT try turning the RR DIFF lock while the wheels were turning. i made sure the truck was in neutral to turn it on and off.

anyways, i needed a tug to get out. once out i noticed my diff lock light was still on after turning the switch off. my friend suggested a fuze may have got wet, and i agreed. however once out of the pits it was QUITE obvious that My rear diff locker is now stuck ON.

it doesnt disengage either by using the switch or by shifting out of 4L. i now have my rear lockers on all the time ( in 2H, 4H, 4L ). Im guessing the solonoid is seized. i let the thing sit for a couple hours afterwards to see if maybe it was water that had got in and either shorted the electrical, or into the solonoid and hoped it would drain out.

Now when i shift into 4H to N to 4L it grinds a little. (however it DIDNT do that at all before letting it sit)

My truck is now sitting at the dealership who hasnt contacted me yet.

Whats my biggest concern here?
Any speculations as to what happened and whats broken?

oh yeah .. 1st post by the way
*sigh*

·
Registered
757 Posts
I assume you tried doing some slow left and right turns in fwd and rev to give it some slack? If so, then yeah, your actuator is probably stuck or fried.

·
Registered
80 Posts
X3 on toasted actuator.

Mine filled with water and stopped working also.

Before you let the dealer rape you on the repair, search for e locker rebuild/repair and read the write ups and decide if it is something you can do with your skills and tools. If it is, you can save yourself a lot of dough!

The one I am thinking of shows some road salt damage,which is different from your problem, but it shows how to dissasemble the actuator and clean the components and reassemble it. There are a lot of useful threads. Read them to gain some knowledge before you spend too much.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts