TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180364

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/175994-b-m-f-rear-diff-skid-plate-group-buy-1-10-01-2011-10-15-2011-a.html

currently we're at $225+shipping...at 40 it'll be $225+$10 shipping

Specs

1/4" plate steel CNC cut formed on a press brake and fully welded. The design I'm working on will allow me to only have 4 weld joints on the whole skid (not including the mounts) all the rest will be bent steel plate for Optimal strength. The design also has Pinion protection
(NOTE) if you have axle wrap I don't recommend pinion protection because it will contact your drive line when your axle wraps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just got on the list on the main board. It is for my 9.25 LC rear axle. If you can pull enough people I would order with you. If you are struggling for the last few units I will take 1 or 2 more for future projects.

Let me know as time progresses.

·
20,355 Posts
Like it other than the pionion gaurd design looks like a rock anchor. I plan on just getting a beefier housing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like it other than the pionion gaurd design looks like a rock anchor. I plan on just getting a beefier housing.
lmao.... i was thinking MUDSHOVEL . nice design ,. is there a hole to access the drain plug?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got on the list on the main board. It is for my 9.25 LC rear axle. If you can pull enough people I would order with you. If you are struggling for the last few units I will take 1 or 2 more for future projects.

Let me know as time progresses.
cool...if shipping costs are cheaper to ship many at the same time, we have a few guys in the denver area that will be hopping on this deal and will be shipping ours together then distribute them out...if that sounds good with you, just let JLee know you'll be interested in the Denver group shipping

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are there any pics of it bolted up? Is there a price difference without the pinion protection?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Could probably drill some small holes in the bottom for a water drain. still have to drop it to change the oil but at the same time, its better than a sheared off drainplug.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good point about the drain holes. Looks like it would trap a lot of water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any pics of it bolted up? Is there a price difference without the pinion protection?
you could PM him and see if he'd make one without the pinion kickout

he's also going to include a kickout for extra protection around the e-locker for those who have it...a simple piece of plate welded over where the e-locker is to prevent a random whatever from coming up and contacting the e-locker motor

·
7,735 Posts
Looks a lot like Hytenor's design. Wonder what he thinks about it.

Not a bad design. I'm not crazy about the "mud shovel", but 10 min with a cut off wheel and that could be fixed if you don't like it. On the other hand, I've beat the shit out of my pinion flange and it would be nice to have something there.

It's just one of those trade offs you have to make. Add armor, but then there's something else to get hung up on.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Jesus. That just looks paranoid to me. If you're hitting your rear diff that hard, you have other problems.

Question: Won't the fit change if you don't have that monster diff cover that is already welded on? What does it look like on a stock housing?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jesus. That just looks paranoid to me. If you're hitting your rear diff that hard, you have other problems.

Question: Won't the fit change if you don't have that monster diff cover that is already welded on? What does it look like on a stock housing?
Pics are coming this weekend.

·
Registered
434 Posts

For me, any armor is about paranoia.

I've seen a few guys hang their diffs up. Usually didn't cause any permanent damage, but you do that enough...

My philosophy - I'm going to armor my truck before I beat the hell out of it. I don't want rocker panel damage and then sliders :p. I don't want to f-up my rear diff either. To me, the money is worth the protection.

I also want to do full skids... in time.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
It just seems too big and bulky to be effective. 1/4" plate? Come on... I would rather put the money towards gears lockers and tires that will allow you to take lines that don't involve smacking the shit out of the diff.

·
Registered
434 Posts
For a little more money you could get bigger tires and lockers so that you can take any variety of lines that don't involve hitting your diff. And... You can crawl over the rocks very slowly instead of smashing through them, and relying on skids to take the abuse. And that way if you do hang it up, it will hardly scratch anything. Not to mention my lack of giant skid combined with bigger tires means I will clear most of the rocks that are just in a bad spot. Obviously there are different schools of thought on this, but that's my take.
I'm already on 33's. I'd have to do quite a bit (cutting, etc) to go bigger, and I'm not ready to get to that stage - I still need to be able to drive the damned thing to work everyday...

Perhaps those with a purpose-built trail rig can take your approach. But it simply wouldn't work for me. I gotta drive the thing home after wheeling, no trailer for me ;).

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Crud, you quoted me before my edit that I did to come off as less of a dick :D. I understand where you're coming from. Let us know how it performs when you get it installed.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
As a person who wheels a stock height truck, I'd stay way far away. This lowers your differential clearance buy the looks about 1". Also your adding a skid plate in a area that is not needed. The strenght of the differential and housing is far beyone what is needed for dragging over some small rocks.

Skid plates are a bandaid for poor driving skills? If your thinking of this skid plate for anything other then bling your driving the wrong truck. If your going to hammer down on your DD to the point where this is needed it is a lost cause, plan on trailering your ride home from a trail or 2.

If your driving a 2005+ Tacoma, I'd be more worried about your plastic fuel tank and weak skid plate. Oh snap, I just look at a TRD Taco, it doesn't have a fuel tank skid plate for that plastic tank.

I don't mean to sound like too much of an ass. I would not touch that with Kyle's hand, let alone a 10ft pole.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As a person who wheels a stock height truck, I'd stay way far away. This lowers your differential clearance buy the looks about 1". Also your adding a skid plate in a area that is not needed. The strenght of the differential and housing is far beyone what is needed for dragging over some small rocks.

Skid plates are a bandaid for poor driving skills? If your thinking of this skid plate for anything other then bling your driving the wrong truck. If your going to hammer down on your DD to the point where this is needed it is a lost cause, plan on trailering your ride home from a trail or 2.

If your driving a 2005+ Tacoma, I'd be more worried about your plastic fuel tank and weak skid plate. Oh snap, I just look at a TRD Taco, it doesn't have a fuel tank skid plate for that plastic tank.

I don't mean to sound like too much of an ass. I would not touch that with Kyle's hand, let alone a 10ft pole.
I do want a set of skids, especially for the unprotected gas tank...

I guess I don't know how strong the diff is, and I've seen people hang their diff on very 'easy' trails that were 'stocker' runs. (Proper tire placement on my part meant I didn't get hung up...)

I haven't done very tough trails, but I'd like to know the undercarriage is protected when I start to do the tougher trails.

Surprised there's such a backlash to this... perhaps the diff really is that tough and it doesn't matter? If that was the case, I don't see why it would even have been made in the first place. Obviously this isn't the first guy who's made this skid.

I pretty much already committed. I guess I could still back out... he doesn't have any of my money yet...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts