TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - I put this under SAS tech as it is more likely a SAS'd rig will have rear disc brakes. I warped a rotor last year playing in the snow and I am working to change the rear rotors and pads. I pulled the axle and found two races that appear pressed in. These need to be removed to get the bearing assembly out, and thus get the bad rotor out. Any suggestions on how to get the races out? I might be able to cautiously tap them out but I'd need to replace with new if I did.

By the way, this is from a 98 Taco that formerly had ABS. ABS guts are now gone. This disc brake change was a modified version similar to Sky's.

Just found my repair manual. Sitting on its side in my book shelf. The parts pressed on the axle are called bearing retainers.

Still would like input on best way to push these off.

Guess while I have it down this far I might as well replace bearings as well

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Pics would help as I'm not seeing what you are talking about in my head.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
If it's similar to a sky kit, the rotor does not get pressed onto the axle.

You have to cut off and replace the bearing retainers. A cut off wheel will work. Be careful not to damage the axle shaft.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If it's similar to a sky kit, the rotor does not get pressed onto the axle.

You have to cut off and replace the bearing retainers. A cut off wheel will work. Be careful not to damage the axle shaft.
Sorry if I did not explain well. The rotor sits on the inside of the outer axle shaft. The studs are pressed through the rotor and then through the outer axle shaft. So the rotor will sit between the outer axle shaft and bearing case. Bearing case needs to be removed to change the rotor.

My problem is dealing with the bearing retainers. Cutting them off seems extreme as they were taken off before by the guy who did my disc brake conversion. He said he had a jig set up on a table to get them off. Unfortunately he is 45-minutes away and he has now closed up his shop (for good). The should come off. Plus I have to still deal with getting them back on or putting new ones back on. Just looking for the easiest way to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
They are not supposed to be reused. They are more or less a disposable item, as constant installing and removal will stretch them, allowing for the bearings and/or ABS rotor to move out of place, leading to premature failure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are not supposed to be reused. They are more or less a disposable item, as constant installing and removal will stretch them, allowing for the bearings and/or ABS rotor to move out of place, leading to premature failure.
I just purchased new ones but I'll wait to decide if I'll use them. As for wear on them, not a concern for my situation as I do not have the ABS rotor in there anymore, and the bearing is secured with snap ring (on the diff side of the bearing retainer).

Toyota also said to grind them. I know I can tap the diff-side retainers off but I am going to try to tap against the bearing case to drive the outer one off. I may sacrifice bearings, but I have new ones to replace if I damage them.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The guy that did my press work for me would just take a cold chisel and a big ass hammer to knock a dent in them to relieve some pressure then just pressed the axle out of the whole bearing and retainer deal at once.
They shouldn't be reused, but $20 is high at Toyota. Your choice.

The best tool I've seen made/used is just an old axle tube cut off around the pumpkin with some garbage welded up there to hold it on the press.
Bolt the outer four bolts back up to the axle with the axle in the tube, then just press the shaft out, leaving the bearing and retainer behind in the backing plate/hub deal. Alot of work for a rotor change- any way to move your calipers out so you can run the rotor on the outside of the hub?
The basic front calipers and rotors to back disc swap I've seen posted up on here allows that.

There is an article on 4x4wire I think that shows some of the stuff- AK98 sent me that link and the manual page but apparently I accidentaly deleted the wrong pm

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Pull the retaining clip, hold the axle over your head by the rotor and let it fall while still supporting it. Do this with the splined part down. I put some cardboard down when I did this. I know it sounds crazy but it will NOT damage the shaft. Definitly wear some good gloves and use some concrete you don't mind chipping. You may have to do this a few times but it works really well. Check out my link. It is for drum setup but it is basically the same thing when it comes to removing the bearing retainer. I have pics of the splines after hitting the concrete so you won't worry.

http://webpages.charter.net/dstrbdone/tech.html

-TRent

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Pull the retaining clip, hold the axle over your head by the rotor and let it fall while still supporting it. Do this with the splined part down. I put some cardboard down when I did this. I know it sounds crazy but it will NOT damage the shaft. Definitly wear some good gloves and use some concrete you don't mind chipping. You may have to do this a few times but it works really well. Check out my link. It is for drum setup but it is basically the same thing when it comes to removing the bearing retainer. I have pics of the splines after hitting the concrete so you won't worry.

-TRent

Cool that it worked for you- but alternatively I brought mine from over my head full power to a 2x4 about 20 or 30 times and it never budged. I destroyed a bunch of 2x4 in the process. Maybe the concrete smack would have made a difference- but I only spent $70 to get both sides pressed on and off. Cheaper than a new axle if I screwed something up. Maybe it would have helped to notch that bearing retainer prior to beating on it?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

-TRent
Nice write up. I've got the whole day to fiddle so I'm starting the project. Got grinder, chisel, and lots of concrete available. I don't have a press so I'll probably find a pipe slightly larger diameter than the axle to hammer the retainers back on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Piece of cake. They came right off with some pounding on a 1x4 on concrete. Now if the auto parts store would have gave me the correct rotors I'd be in business....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cool, The hardest part is over. I ended up buying the press when it come time to do mine because toy wanted an insane amount. The press is a little 12 ton that I got at Harbor Freight a couple years back. For only like $120 It has paid for itself time and time again.

-Trent

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Toyota Davis wanted 110 per side just for labor- with the axles brought in.
Ummm, no.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts