TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to swap rear discs into my 03 Taco. Don't feel like spending hundreds on a kit or whatever. I figured I would use taco front rotors and calipers, and just need a bracket to mount it all on. I can mate the lines together and plumb the lines and a proportioning valve in line and a residual valve for the discs. Oh, and an emergency brake is not a concern, I plan on getting a e-brake that mounts behind my t-case.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wow, unless you are looking to do some heavy hauling or towing, you are throwing good money out the window. The taco is light enough that it is has really good braking with drums in the rear. My Tacoma brakes better than my full size Ford work truck that has disc all the way around.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Tacoma front rotors may not work. Too much offset.

Also, the T-case brakes are more of a parking brake. Not really suitable for emergency stops.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question was, how can I get rear discs in my Taco w/out a kit? Yes, the drums brakes do work ok, but I hate them. PIA to replace, maintain, etc. I want em gone. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
646 Posts
Im going to be doing discs in the rear. My drums have been needing replacement for about a year but they still work. Im not going to spend the money to replace the drums, springs, and shoes when I can do a disc swap for about the same price. Search Pirate people over there have used Taco calipers on the rear.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Dont know for sure, but I would think that 03+ 4runner rear brakes should bolt up... I know I am going to look into this when I get my 07.... Probally wont do it, but I have ben curious...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing