TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new the guy on the block. Greetings to all.
My Tacoma is a 1999 ext cab v6 3.4. I need to ask 2 questions please.
First question: The rear drive shaft is separated into two parts on my truck. There is a carriage, or some sort of bracket that the rear drive shaft rides in. I don't know what it's called. But I slid under my vehicle and grabbed a hold of the drive shaft and wiggled it back and forth and it wiggles pretty easy in that "carriage". It seems that only a rubber grommet is keeping it from wiggling more. Is this okay, or does it need replaced.
Question 2: Does the front drive shaft spin when truck is in 2 HI. Thanks

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
First question: The rear drive shaft is separated into two parts on my truck. There is a carriage, or some sort of bracket that the rear drive shaft rides in. I don't know what it's called. But I slid under my vehicle and grabbed a hold of the drive shaft and wiggled it back and forth and it wiggles pretty easy in that "carriage". It seems that only a rubber grommet is keeping it from wiggling more. Is this okay, or does it need replaced.
A little bit of movement isn't anything to really worry about. I've got about 1/2 inch of play in mine and it's fine. If you've got $100 so blow then you can replace it, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Question 2: Does the front drive shaft spin when truck is in 2 HI. Thanks
No, the front driveshaft does not spin in 2WD regardless of hub type (manual hubs or automatic (ADD)).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A little bit of movement isn't anything to really worry about. I've got about 1/2 inch of play in mine and it's fine. If you've got $100 so blow then you can replace it, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

No, the front driveshaft does not spint in 2WD with trucks that are either equipment with manual hubs or automatic hubs (ADD).
acually they can spin with the little bit of drag in the driveline. but should stop easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y'all. That was quick. I appreciate it. I bought my 99 Tacoma used with 121000 miles on it. I love it. I've had it a month and I've done put 4000 miles on it. It sure does love gasoline (20mpg hwy) but right now, I'm love it too much to care. I just fill er up, and off I go!!! Been fishing all over Tennessee lately. I'm from Tennessee, right on the Tennesse river.
Well, thanks again. I think I'm gonna love this forum. I'll finish my public profile 'fore the day is out. Kevin

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's a carrier support bearing. X2 interex. a little bit of play won't hurt you, it's designed for that.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Welcome from another Tennessean.
What part of TN are you in?

But with the miles you have on your truck I would look into changing the Center Support Bearing with in the year.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts