TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my spare tire the other day while installing a bumper and got a good look from the back of my rear axle and drive shaft and i'll be damned if it didn't look crooked. Sure enough i measured and the driverside wheel/tire was 1/4" closer to the front than the passenger side rear. I measured from the axle to the spring hanger on the front so it's 1/4" off according to my measure. I've had it off a few times for an aal and a 1" block but is it possible it's in offcenter? i'd imagine i'd be having tire scuff problems or it'd be driving wierd but I can't say i've experienced anything out of the ordinary. Should i sweat it?
Thanks guys,
Jamie

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
It's possible that you have sheered a centering pin, or something.. I'd undo the ubolts to check to see if they are in tact.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I completely toasted a deaver pack on my tacoma and it made my truck look like it was going down the road crooked. If you're leafs are blown, it could be causing this.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got factory leaves w/84k on them and a fabtech aal that has sagged about an inch and a half. The thing is it doesn't look crooked driving down the road per say, just clearly noticable when looking at it from the back by folowing the angle of the driveshaft.

·
Registered
123 Posts
KStacoma said:
I pulled my spare tire the other day while installing a bumper and got a good look from the back of my rear axle and drive shaft and i'll be damned if it didn't look crooked. Sure enough i measured and the driverside wheel/tire was 1/4" closer to the front than the passenger side rear. I measured from the axle to the spring hanger on the front so it's 1/4" off according to my measure. I've had it off a few times for an aal and a 1" block but is it possible it's in offcenter? i'd imagine i'd be having tire scuff problems or it'd be driving wierd but I can't say i've experienced anything out of the ordinary. Should i sweat it?
Thanks guys,
Jamie
Both of my Tacomas are like this. I noticed this today when I was measuring for new shocks and was measuring the distance between the bumpstop and the bumpstop on the frame. On the driver's side the bumpstop on the frame was right directly above the bumpstop on the springs. On the passenger side it was much more forward. I'm talking more than 1/4". I thought it was odd but my trucks drive straight too.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
You can also check to make sure your leafs have not "unrolled" Look at the eyes on the front of the pack. if the gap is large, the spring is done.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Justox said:
Both of my Tacomas are like this. I noticed this today when I was measuring for new shocks and was measuring the distance between the bumpstop and the bumpstop on the frame. On the driver's side the bumpstop on the frame was right directly above the bumpstop on the springs. On the passenger side it was much more forward. I'm talking more than 1/4". I thought it was odd but my trucks drive straight too.
Exactly man, but in my case it's the driver side. Mine drives straight too. You can really see it if you follow the line of the driveshaft from the diff to the transfer case.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This same thing happened to mine just about a month ago after a wheeling trip except it was off by like 2". I had to cut the old U-bolts and then I just realigned the axle and put on some new u-bolts. I sheered the pin that goes through the leaves and block. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I put my 31x10.5 bfgs on, I noticed the passenger side tire is just a bit farther outboard than the driver's side. When the tires were withing the wheel wells, it was impossible to notice.

My alignment is all within spec, my tires wear fine, my truck is just a little off.

It bugs me cause I can see it everytime I look in my side mirrors.

Daniel

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same problem, as do a lot of trucks I see. One of the downsides to a leaf sprung suspension. On one truck it was caused by a worn out front leaf spring bushing that allowed a little forward back movement. I also agree with everyone on the worn/wrapped leafsprings causing it also. The axle would need to be more than 1/4" off to indicate a broken centerpin. There is a decent amount of play betweeen that centerpin ahd the hole it fits in the axle anyway. I wouldnt really be worried about 1/4 inch. I had an 85 and had the leafspring center pin jump out of its hole and then the axle was off by like 4". Drove pretty normal, but looked funny as all heck. I had rear wheel steering in one direction only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts