TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting the Danahoe Coilover Front Suspension for my 2007 Tacoma 4X4 Sport Access Cab. My local shop suggested adding leafs to the back with new shocks for a mild lift and general towing abilities. I am looking for the best set up for good ride quality and maximum towing capabilities. I'm not sure whether Add-A-Leafs like the Deaver 3 pack are good for towing, or if I should go for the Dakar replacement Leafs, or should I go with airbags or a combination of springs and airbags. First and foremost I need towing capabilities and if anything I want to increase my towing capacity if possbile. I also do not want to have bouncy rear suspension which requires me to have a load in the bed to keep things smooth.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I am planning on getting the Danahoe Coilover Front Suspension for my 2007 Tacoma 4X4 Sport Access Cab. My local shop suggested adding leafs to the back with new shocks for a mild lift and general towing abilities. I am looking for the best set up for good ride quality and maximum towing capabilities. I'm not sure whether Add-A-Leafs like the Deaver 3 pack are good for towing, or if I should go for the Dakar replacement Leafs, or should I go with airbags or a combination of springs and airbags. First and foremost I need towing capabilities and if anything I want to increase my towing capacity if possbile. I also do not want to have bouncy rear suspension which requires me to have a load in the bed to keep things smooth.
Note that adding a lift does not increase your towing capacity. It just makes it easier to handle the load that you can do. Adding a lift doesn't stregnthen the frame...

If you do airbags, say goodbye to flexing offroad.

I did a leaf pack rebuild, which consisted of cutting up a stock leaf pack and adding two leafs in and keeping the overload. It kept a nice smooth ride, and it doesn't sag much when towing.

So unless you beef up the entire frame and drivetrain, don't expect your towing numbers to go up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that some people like combining the airbags and aftermarket leafs for a best of both worlds application. I am concerned about a harsh ride with add-a-leafs and also concerned with having my rear lower than the front if I just add overload springs. I have looked into getting the Deaver 3 pack and keeping my overload or possibly a deaver 10 or 12 pack but I'm not sure if those will hold up for towing requirements. I won't be doing anything crazy with the truck mostly going up camping, and snowboarding, the dunes, and minor trails. I want the lift for looks/function but don't want a rough ride so that's why I would rather have the Danahoes in the front. Also a lot of people are using the Bilstein 5100's and I assume they should do well for daily driving, towing, & offroad. So which add a leafs would be recommended then? Or should I have Deaver or OME build me a custom leaf pack for my application?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got off the phone with Deaver and they told me that they can make me a custom Leaf-pack that would be added to the stock leafs to add some height about 1.5" and also be able to handle my towing loads. They told me that the 3 Pack AAL and the 10 or 12 packs leafs reduce towing and load capacity on the trucks. So I guess this is the best I can do to have the truck be a daily driver, tow rig, and light duty trail truck. Now I like deaver and would love to have them do the install but they are in So Cal and they will charge me more to just make me the leafs and send them to me than if they installed them in their shop so I was wondering if there is anyone in Nor Cal that you guys recommend for custom leafs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
consider Alcans. You can custom order them and from experience they handle great when towing and hauling. They also are very flexy off-road. Price not bad compared to Deavers. And to add a note about increasing towing capacity . . . your gonna have to jump up to a 1/2 ton full size truck to increase that. It all boils down to the engine, transmission, and axle size that determine towing capacity. How much are you looking to tow? (weight)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm still a noob but I wanted to let you know my experience since I use my Tacoma on a Farm and do alot of hauling and towing I just finished the rear a week ago.
I destroyed my stock springs after 5 years. SO, after much research, I went with the Wheeler HD 5 leaf pack (which is actually deavers) and re-used my SuperSprings Overload helper springs. I can now load up and not be dragging my ass or loss of handling. I've also gained about 2" in the rear in hight (so still working on getting the front to match with coil-overs and other minor isuess worked out). So I probably can get larger tires in and still clear when loaded.
However, something to keep in mind even with new springs and better load capasity the axel is still only rated as I think, 2800lbs or so? I'm sure but a real tech head will correct me.
Also the bed is not that strong and when loading up it will get deformed from too much weight and as already stated the frame is not a Tundra's!
As for towing the new setup works real well other than the hitch is a bit high (which a drop would fix) but the 3.4l has more than enough power to pull quite a bit when not sagging and scraping off of things in the fields.(Knowing my luck the next thing I'll need is a clutch!:explode: )

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will mostly have a sportbike in the back or maybe a couple on a trailer, or a 18 foot speed boat on a trailer, or very rarely maybe 1 or 2 times a year a 3500 lb car on a 1500 lb auto trailer. I know other guys that have used the new tacoma to tow a car and trailer and it did fine. Car and driver also wrote an article that stated they towed a 3770 lb mercedes on an auto trailer with the new tacoma and it was fine. I'll look into the Dakars and alcans as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts