TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my rear end come apart last night when i was about 80 miles from my house. I decided put my truck in 4H to go and pick up the new rear end i had driven down there to get and i do not even get a mile from where the rear went out at and heard a loud ting and my truck would not go anywhere. I can look at my front shaft to the diff and when i gas it it will turn just a little but not turn completely over so i was thinking either my transfer case went out too or my transmission did. Would anyone happen to know what may have happened to my truck? Thanks in advance

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Ok my rear end come apart last night when i was about 80 miles from my house. I decided put my truck in 4H to go and pick up the new rear end i had driven down there to get and i do not even get a mile from where the rear went out at and heard a loud ting and my truck would not go anywhere. I can look at my front shaft to the diff and when i gas it it will turn just a little but not turn completely over so i was thinking either my transfer case went out too or my transmission did. Would anyone happen to know what may have happened to my truck? Thanks in advance
So, you have no-wheel drive? might be this
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2147653&postcount=13

If you still have power to the rear it won't be the tcase....most likely front diff

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why would that have happened? Was going around 45 with a small trailer behind me when it popped did not have no strain or nothing.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
But why would that have happened? Was going around 45 with a small trailer behind me when it popped did not have no strain or nothing.
could have been damaged earlier and finally went.
got big tires? Wheel hard?
have you checked your CVs? hubs?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tru i shoula have taken my rear driveshaft off before i wheeled it in 4x4 high trying to get somewhere...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've found out that my front differential is what went out. Also I have a question about my rear end, the rear end on my truck says 6YF and u just bought another rear end that says 9YX around where my third bolts into the rear axle. Do these numbers have to match or can they be different? I hope I did not just screw up on this new rear end i just bought.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Well I've found out that my front differential is what went out. Also I have a question about my rear end, the rear end on my truck says 6YF and u just bought another rear end that says 9YX around where my third bolts into the rear axle. Do these numbers have to match or can they be different? I hope I did not just screw up on this new rear end i just bought.
4x4 and Prerunner Tacomas have only 2 different rearends: the open "8.4" and the elocker. As long as you get the same one that you have and with the same gear ratio you'll be fine...direct bolt-in application. You cannot, however, interchange the two.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal. Would the front diff for my truck be the 7.5" late model non-add with the 391 gear ratio? What would i need to look for when i try to find another one? Thanks

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Good deal. Would the front diff for my truck be the 7.5" late model non-add with the 391 gear ratio? What would i need to look for when i try to find another one? Thanks
If you have manual hubs you can use any Tacoma front diff from '95.5-04 with your same ratio. If you find an ADD diff all you have to do is swap the tube section from your old one to the new one. That ratio is common so you should be able to find them cheap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah thanks your very helpful. Bought a complete rear from a 2000 for $250 just got to find that front diff now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I thought my front differential was shot but I see that the passenger side axle is shattered. I unbolted my front drive shaft from the transfer case i turned the front drive shaft in hubs on free and now my differential spins fine but with the hubs locked it acts like it does not want to turn at all when truck is running. What do you think could be causing this? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts