TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched a bit and have come up w a couple ideas but i just wanted to post to pick your brains.

I have a 2000 taco ext cab v6 5spd 4x4 w dakars ome shackles comfort shocks and a u bolt flip (allpro, allpro shock tabs welded to rear axle approx .5 inch inboard vs stock).

I have replaced the ome rear lower shock bushings w energy ones and a steel sleeve (due to the threaded bottom bolt eating the ome bushings, yeah im a dumbass). i am running my 265x15 winter tires on steelies.

i am now getting an intermittant vibration in 4th or 5th gear between 75 and 90 km/h. when i slow down it goes away. today is the first time this has happened twice in one day (to work and back). i canlook in the rear view and really notice the rear of the truck vibrating.

i am also getting an intermittant clunk when entering my driveway (rear end flexing a little since it is up hill). this, just like the vibe does not happen all the time. for example it clunks when no vibes and today vibes and no clunk when i pulled in.

while under the truck i have found that there is a bit of play in the hanger bearing while jiggling the drive shaft. the u joints do not seem to have any playin them but i might be wrong. i believe they are the stock joints (105 000 km on truck). otherwise all the bolts seem tight (gonna verify w the new torque wrench tomorrow) and the truck does not chatter or clunk when on rough surfaces.

so far the list includes hanger bearing, u joints, loose bolts, or maybe the rear diff???? the diff was warrantied 2 yrs ago by the dealer and replaced and has not given me any trouble since it was fixed.

sorry for the long post but its getting me all riled up.

any advice or tips to find the problem are greatly appreciated.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Check the u-bolts. One or more may be loose. Myself, as well as a few other people have had their u-bolts loosen up on them, especially after wrenching.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do that today, 90 ft lb is the spec i believe. thanks

ill post if it solves the prob.

·
Registered
854 Posts
When I did my OME install with the same Dakar leafs, my rear pinion angle didn't change. My truck doesn't have any vibes and we have the same rear lift??? The u-bolts may be the problem, but most driveline vibes come from a changing pinion angle. Degree shim s may help correct the problem? How bad is the vibe at that speed?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the thing. it only does it once in a while and it didnt do it right away just recently. ive had the lift on about 8 months and checked all the bolts at 1 month and 2 months but havent since. like i said its ok around town but on hwy it does it intermittantly. worked 3 dayshifts this weekend. so thats 6 trips there and back. out of the 6 it only did it 3. it might not do it for a couple weeks then it comes back.

oh and it rained today and i didnt check the u bolts. tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well 4 of the 8 u bolt bolts needed snugging up. i got approx. about 1/4 to 1/2 turn from each of these. made sure the rest were at 90 ftlb so now weel see if it vibes on the way to work tonite.

as a side note i love the new torque wrench. shit i think id still be out there checkin junk if i didnt have to work.

ill update in a couple days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts