TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear end went out and i was told i need a new one axle gears and all it has 4:10 gears in it. Its a 92 toyota 4x4 should i put the same ones back in it or what should i do.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you need. But, I have 4 cylinder 4:10 chunks, I think 3 sets of them. They are all factory set ups with no locker or anything. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can see if we can work something out.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Jesse my bro lives in Statesboro.. I'll see when he's coming back in town and see if he can bring it down if you get it from Marshall. PM me and let me know.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
First of all, I would not trust that opinion if I were you.

If you got that opinion from a dealership understand that most or at least many dealerships will not repair a rear axle or diff because they don't want too and many don't have the people who know how to.

Take the truck to a rear end shop or at least a real mechanic and have them look at it for you. If you can find a local and knowleable member here that will help you that would be good too.

Dealerships are just part swappers for the most part and the bigger the part and the easier it is to change the better it is for them. The less they have to think and the quicker they can get your ass off of their lot while leaving behind as much of your money as they can get the better. It's not their pocket that is paying the price so they simply don't give a shit.

Once in a while you may manage to find a good dealership shop with good techs but sadly that is the exception and not the rule.

The dealership has little interest in your return business as the cycle now averages 5+ years before you're ready to buy another new car and that is just too long for them to care.

Their primary interest is selling cars, not servicing or repairing them. The high costs and overall poor level of service avaliable at many dealerships is just their way of saying go fuck yourself. That is unless you're buying a new car. For the most part dealer shops will do only the minimum that they are forced to do by Toyota or some judge under warranty and still maintain a dealership. Once it gets beyond that and routine oil changes or lube jobs most of them are about as useless as tits on a boar hog and some even manage to fuck that up. That's simply because most are not really setup as a service business in the first place.

This is not exclusive to Toyota, it's a trait that is common to most dealerships of any make vehicle in this country or even most products in general.

Why? Simply because OEMs only care about selling new cars while repairs, warranty or otherwise usually don't show up on the bottom line except to subtract from it. Once your tail lights are across the curb, you can go fuck yourself for all they care. That is right up until it comes time for you to buy another car. Then they will again become your best new found friend right up until the tail lights of the new car clears the curb, then it's back to square one. That is until their reputation for poor quality and overall shitty attitude starts to have a pronounced negative impact on new sales. In that case the OEM will either clean up its act or launch a new ad campain stressing their increased focus on better quality or service. Usually the latter. By the time most manage to extract their heads from their asses, its too late and a competitor has eaten their lunch already. Just as is happening with the GM, Ford, Chrysler etc. right now and it will eventually happen to Toyota too.
The prevaling attitude is "Why worry about tomorrow? To hell with tomorrow, I may be dead tomorrow. Get it now and get all you can grab while you can still grab it."

Go find someone who is in the repair business and is setup to do that and do it well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dick I have to dispute your knowledge. First and formost. the bread and butter of any and I mean ANY stealership are the parts and service departments. They do not make Jack SH** on sellin you a new car. How would I know 10 years of stealership work experience. Think about it 400.00 to do brakes. we all know it can be done for less then 100.00 tranny flush 140.00 what 25 dollars in fluid and a 15 dollar gasket. Parts have a markup of nearly 40 percent. The main money maker of any stealership is Labor your average Tech probably makes 35 cents on the dollar. and with a 60 dollar an hour labor rate at 4 hours you do the math. yes some techs bring home 6 figures but the majority of techs average about 75 a year. and the funniest part of all is that their own vehicles need the most repair. and that is the result of working on so many vehicles each day that leaves them with no motivation to repair their own vehicles.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Well then if that's the case they have a very odd way of going about business. Let's see the highest possible prices and the worst possible service with all the work half done and what was done was done half assed.
Yeah, I'll be back, alright.

The bit about the mechanics car is timeless, it's stems from the cobblers of old children's shoes.

I worked with cameras about 7 years and the automotive industry for about 5 of them before I finally got around to putting some on my own truck. Of course by then I'd already quit working with camera chip makers. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts