TTORA Forum banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just an interesting update. We broke the main leaf on our allpro 50T pack a while back. We decided to switch over to deaver mainly because of their service and customer support program for future leaf spring needs. We talked with them, explained what we have and do and they recommended going with a E30 (Also known as the H70) pack. I mounted it up and right off the bat the truck sat 1.5" lower with the brand new deavers compared to the worn in 50T. Took it out testing and they worked great but the rear was kicking a bit. Only change made was the leaf springs. With less then 20 miles on the pack I pulled them back off and Deaver made some adjustments. Got them back yesterday and will be installing tonight. They originally were an 11 leaf pack. Got them back yesterday and they now have 13 leafs in them. I'm excited to get it mounted up tonight to see how the stance is. It will be about a month till I get a chance to test them in the dirt though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Stance wise it's sitting perfect now!!! It brought the rear back up to where the 50T pack was. Performance wise, I won't be able to comment till 10/19 as that's the next time the truck will be in the dirt. Although, I will likely take it for a spin around da hood tonight! LOL Street testing... You know how we do it...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Stance wise it's sitting perfect now!!! It brought the rear back up to where the 50T pack was. Performance wise, I won't be able to comment till 10/19 as that's the next time the truck will be in the dirt. Although, I will likely take it for a spin around da hood tonight! LOL Street testing... You know how we do it...
Point here being, Deaver is the bee's knees. I don't know whats good about the knees of a bee, but from what I gather its definitely awesome.

When it comes to most off road parts there is some healthy competition and there is a lot of brand loyalty. Shocks, glass, tires, etc. But honestly when it comes to leaf springs I don't think it's a stretch to say that there is Deaver, and there is everyone else. And everyone else isn't close.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Question for you guys, Ive cycled leafs before and done some fab work, just never installed leafs from scratch, Im going to be installing some F67's on my 99 Extra cab taco next month, using a probably 16" bypass or 18" Not sure. 12" Shackles on top of the frame, and a tundra axle. I know the 52.50 spread. And Making sure the shackle angles. My question is how do I do centering the axle , and making sure everything is straight and true so It drives straight and so I dont go messing something up? Such as for one placing both front hangers in the right place

·
Registered
345 Posts
16" shocks are plenty, you don't need the 18" inch ones, just my 2 cents. You need to mock up the front hangars and shackle pivots and the spring perches on the axle all at the same time and tack them on. During this you will need to set your pinion angle as well,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just a quick follow up on the posts I made a few up... The new customized H70 pack that deaver built for us seems to be working great! Definitely cured the kicking issue the off the shelf H70 pack was giving us. I can't compare apples to apples yet as I haven't had the truck out to our normal testing area yet but at the event I did take it to, it performed great! 1st impression right now is we're dialed in and ready to rock again whenever the time comes!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Question for you guys, Ive cycled leafs before and done some fab work, just never installed leafs from scratch, Im going to be installing some F67's on my 99 Extra cab taco next month, using a probably 16" bypass or 18" Not sure. 12" Shackles on top of the frame, and a tundra axle. I know the 52.50 spread. And Making sure the shackle angles. My question is how do I do centering the axle , and making sure everything is straight and true so It drives straight and so I dont go messing something up? Such as for one placing both front hangers in the right place
I realize this is an old post, but I'll respond anyway so it is not left unanswered.

To ensure that your truck drives straight--the front and rear wheels must be aligned. Assuming that your frame is straight, so long as you mount the hangers and shackle mounts straight, you shouldn't have any issues. the leaf spring design allows for a bit of shifting between the axle and the U-bolts. this shifting will align your axle after you have driven it a bit. This is one of the reasons you should re-torque your hardware after driving. every time I put my rear suspension together, I don't torque down my U-bolts. I get them fairly snug, drive it up and down the street a few times, then a torque them down. and I re-torque a few days later.

·
Registered
523 Posts
For a while now I have been focused on school and building up a few motorcycles. As well as racing a class 3 Bronco.

My Tacoma has had many more miles put on it and a few more additions. It just took a light beating supporting the San Felipe race (no issues at all).

I have some positive feedback on the suspension (supporting the math and techniques this thread details). School is out in two weeks. I'll take some good photos of my truck and write up a few things I have learned since.

Teaser info: Proper math is crucial. There is no "magic number". Race prepping leaf springs is very easy and you should be doing it. valving. valving. valving.

·
Registered
523 Posts
16" shocks are plenty, you don't need the 18" inch ones, just my 2 cents. You need to mock up the front hangars and shackle pivots and the spring perches on the axle all at the same time and tack them on. During this you will need to set your pinion angle as well,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree. I've built multiple leaf sprung trucks using the Deaver f67s and 50t and those similar. Using up all of the travel of the 18" shocks is easy and very useful. to use a 16" shock you would have to angle the shock much more creating a lower resistance of compression. the angle of your shock should not be your method of valving. Placing your shocks at a 90 degree angle off of the datum line (imaginary line going from the front hanger mounting point to the point where the shackle mounts to the frame) is the best possible option you have for maximum travel and full use of the shock.

If this is confusing I can better explain this with photos after I get done with school for the semester.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
281 - 292 of 292 Posts