TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Yours is an 06 huh, so you cant turn it off???

But you should know if it works becuase on mine the slip light comes on solid (indicating A-TRAC off) when the locker is on.
05, but I have the trac/vsc package. I'm having a little trouble with this because I have a ABS/TRAC/VSC disable mod that works by grounding the blue wire with the yellow stripe right at the 4WD ECU(The locker actuator does the same thing), and I think I can get all of them to work on a 3 way switch. Up position would be ABS/TRAC off anytime (grounded), middle position would be normal flow through, and down would be ATRAC(+12VDC). I gotta scratch my head a little more and I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
05, but I have the trac/vsc package. I'm having a little trouble with this because I have a ABS/TRAC/VSC disable mod that works by grounding the blue wire with the yellow stripe right at the 4WD ECU(The locker actuator does the same thing), and I think I can get all of them to work on a 3 way switch. Up position would be ABS/TRAC off anytime (grounded), middle position would be normal flow through, and down would be ATRAC(+12VDC). I gotta scratch my head a little more and I'll figure it out.
That would be pretty cool....

For now I am not too worried about A-TRAC and the locker... since I can turn TRAC off I have what I need for how I use my truck....

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I figured it out finally, works great on the taco's too! thanks FJ dudes.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82211

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
On my FJ the ABS light no longer comes on with the locker as it did before. Makes sense as the skid control ecu is not getting the "locked rear axle" signal anymore with the EX3 wire cut. Does anyone think there will be problems with ABS still active with the ATRAC and locker engaged?
Ok, Since I'm still new, I'm going to bring this topic back up. I want to do this mod and have all the capability in the world to do it, however there are a few questions I have and between this forum and the FJCruiserForums I have not been able to come up with the answers.

After reading the above quote, I got to thinking about that ABS Light, and yes it does come on with out the mod when you engage the Locker (just like my Tacoma does), but does not come on with A-Track. Now, for those that have preformed the mod it appears that the ABS light does not come on when A-Track and the Locker are on together.

First Question: Since it has been some time since this topic was talked about, has anyone had any problems to date that have preformed this mod??

Second Question: For those that have done the mod, if you turn the locker on only, no A-Track, does the ABS light come on anymore??

Third Question: Even though the ABS light dose not come on after the mod, dose that really indicate that the ABS in still on, or is the ABS off and the light just don't work anymore??

Forth Question: Dose anyone have a reason for why Toyota turns off The ABS when you lock the locker??

Thanks for any input.

jb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 FJ-BF-Auto, Rear Locker, 4wd,
VSC-Cancel Switch (Hack) and 4WD Control ECU (Rear Diff Lock) in Blue Box (Hack) With these I can turn of "VSC Off" & "VSC Trac" anytime and the vehicle will operate with the two rear wheels locked (rear locker on) in 2H, 4H and 4L and the "ABS" is turned of as long as it remains Locked. A-Trac only operates in 4-L and the manual states it will only operate under 6-MPH when the rear diff is locked. In 4-L the VSC-Cancel Switch must be in the OFF Position for A-Trac to come on.

When I added the (Rear Locker + A-Trac as per write up) I noticed my ABS brakes would no longer turn off. Deleted this mod and ABS Brakes stay "OFF" as long as the Rear Locker is on.

This might help someone, everthing tested and works fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know if I am opening a can or worms here or not, but I am getting mixed messages on this hack from other sites (such as Pirate4x4). The feedback that I am seeing on there is that of the people who are having the rear pinion rear failures, the majority of them seem to have had the gears strip while using the A-TRAC hack.

My question to anyone who has done this hack, have you confirmed that ABS is in fact off when you are using the hack? The reason I am asking is because I am wondering if ABS may be trying to apply on the rear wheels while the rear locker is engaged. Causing the rear pinion gear to get stressed to the point of stripping. Stock on my FJ, ABS/VSC is always off while in 4 wheel drive. Rear locker and A-TRAC only function in 4LO.

Can anyone with a newer FJ Cruiser that has the factory hack enabled confirm how it works for them and what they see?

I am just wondering. I have not done the hack yet because I am worried about the issues reported with the rear pinion gears.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I don't know if I am opening a can or worms here or not, but I am getting mixed messages on this hack from other sites (such as Pirate4x4). The feedback that I am seeing on there is that of the people who are having the rear pinion rear failures, the majority of them seem to have had the gears strip while using the A-TRAC hack.

My question to anyone who has done this hack, have you confirmed that ABS is in fact off when you are using the hack? The reason I am asking is because I am wondering if ABS may be trying to apply on the rear wheels while the rear locker is engaged. Causing the rear pinion gear to get stressed to the point of stripping. Stock on my FJ, ABS/VSC is always off while in 4 wheel drive. Rear locker and A-TRAC only function in 4LO.

Can anyone with a newer FJ Cruiser that has the factory hack enabled confirm how it works for them and what they see?

I am just wondering. I have not done the hack yet because I am worried about the issues reported with the rear pinion gears.
I hacked mine (07) and have not had a failure and have used it on many an occasion and typically under a great deal of stress (that's why I needed it!) If done properly, the ABS is not active on the rear wheels. It only works in 4LO, ABS/VSC is off. I would guess that most of the failures are due to the bad batch of pumpkins and driver error.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Question for FJCRUSER: I have a 2007 4X4 Shift FJ, what do I need to add the A-Track? Is it just the switch? Thanks in advance.
For the ATRAC alone, you need only add the switch.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Ha, what do they guys on Pirate know about an FJ Cruiser? Most of the time they just slam it. The rear gear issue is a separate problem and not related, even some of the Tacomas were having issues with the gears, seemingly due to a bad batch...

As far as problem with the hack, I'm the one who has had it the longest of anybody, and no problems - or broken gears.. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ha, what do they guys on Pirate know about an FJ Cruiser? Most of the time they just slam it. The rear gear issue is a separate problem and not related, even some of the Tacomas were having issues with the gears, seemingly due to a bad batch...

As far as problem with the hack, I'm the one who has had it the longest of anybody, and no problems - or broken gears.. :D
My Brother just got his third member replaced at the dealer this past week...the truck is only like 4 months old and he killed the rear! Hopefully it was one of this bad batches you are speaking of!

Brian I think you need to do that hack that way we can test it out next time we are at Calico!

·
Registered
309 Posts
My Brother just got his third member replaced at the dealer this past week...the truck is only like 4 months old and he killed the rear! Hopefully it was one of this bad batches you are speaking of!

Brian I think you need to do that hack that way we can test it out next time we are at Calico!
That would make sense, and hopefully I did just get a bad diff from the factory. I highly doubt that using the ebreak will break my gears. Not that it matters much longer, ARBs front and rear here I come :D!

Brian, you should try it out at Calico, It will make for a good test. Remember, you can always undo it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

I thought Denny was rolling a TRD Sport?!?!? That's freaking news to me the bad rear ends were 05 TRD Off Roads and such.

·
Registered
148 Posts
All right, you guys are hijacking the FJ Cruiser tech thread. :p

I love the extra feedback and input from the Taco guys, but I just wanted to try and keep the thread on topic to the FJC if possible.

Yeah, I know that some of the early FJC's had the faulty rear pinions and it's sort of a roll of the dice if you have a bad one or not. So far though mine has not had any problems with the rear pinion, bulges or anything else and I tend to wheel it pretty hard. So hopefully I am one of the ones without any problems.

I will consider doing the A-Trac hack, but I just haven't committed to cutting it just yet. If anything, I may do the internal cab wire mod instead. Less noticeable if I ever have to take it into the dealership for routine servicing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been seriously looking into buying an FJ lately but I'm just wondering if all of them have the capability to have that A-trac + locking rear shit that's posted here. And also are there any options that you recommend I get with it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The A-Trac hack just needs to be done on the 2007 models. I believe all the 2008+ models have it activated from the factory. The main thing you will want for an FJ Cruiser is of course 4x4 and the rear locking differential (E-locker). You could get by without the A-Trac switch by adding the switch later. I believe all FJ's that (at least with option pack 2) have A-Trac as part of the factory build - but they just charge you extra to 'activate it' which is just the factory switch to connect the console wires up.

I would just find the best deal you can on a FJC and go from there. You will be replacing the skids, roof rack, suspension and most of the other factory options with beefier stuff anyways if you intend to wheel it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The A-Trac hack just needs to be done on the 2007 models. I believe all the 2008+ models have it activated from the factory. The main thing you will want for an FJ Cruiser is of course 4x4 and the rear locking differential (E-locker). You could get by without the A-Trac switch by adding the switch later. I believe all FJ's that (at least with option pack 2) have A-Trac as part of the factory build - but they just charge you extra to 'activate it' which is just the factory switch to connect the console wires up.

I would just find the best deal you can on a FJC and go from there. You will be replacing the skids, roof rack, suspension and most of the other factory options with beefier stuff anyways if you intend to wheel it.
I'm definitely going to wheel it. Buyin' something like this and not wheeling it would be the same as buying a lambo and going the speed limit. i was just wondering if all had the A-trac which if I understand you correctly are the 08 models with the option 2 package. I would rather have the manual, but they seem kind of hard to come by. Do the benefits of a manual warrant passing up an automatic?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts