TTORA Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I'm definitely going to wheel it. Buyin' something like this and not wheeling it would be the same as buying a lambo and going the speed limit. i was just wondering if all had the A-trac which if I understand you correctly are the 08 models with the option 2 package. I would rather have the manual, but they seem kind of hard to come by. Do the benefits of a manual warrant passing up an automatic?
If I were to buy again, I'd buy bare-bones with the e-locker and buy the ATRAC switch (@ $65 IIRC) and plug it in myself. I do like the gauge cluster on the dash, but it's not essential.

Manual is a 6-speed full-time four wheel drive system.

Automatic is a 5-speed part-time four wheel drive system.

I have the A/T and having driven four previous 4Runners, three with manual and one with A/T, IMO the A/T is easier to drive off-road, but the manual is more diverse and has better (slightly) gearing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm definitely going to wheel it. Buyin' something like this and not wheeling it would be the same as buying a lambo and going the speed limit. i was just wondering if all had the A-trac which if I understand you correctly are the 08 models with the option 2 package. I would rather have the manual, but they seem kind of hard to come by. Do the benefits of a manual warrant passing up an automatic?
To answer your question, from what I have read I believe all 4x4 FJC's that roll off the factory line have A-Trac. The only difference is if they put in the switch in the cab to activate it or not. Mine has the Option 2 package and it came with the rear diff locker and A-Trac standard.

The 2008 and later years have no need to do the A-Trac/Rear Locker hack. Just the 2007 model years. The '08+ that have the rear locker equipped come set from the factory with both A-Trac and the rear locker enabled so that you can use them at the same time. A-Trac does not disable when you activate the rear locker on the 2008 and later models as it does with the 2007's.

The only known difference I know between the 2007 model year and the 2008-current model years is the '07 did not come with the cyclone pre-filter on the air intake and the '07 has to have the wires cut to activate the A-Trac while the rear diff is locked.

Now about the manual or automatic transmission, I have an AT and love it. I know people who run MT and after long runs it can get tiring. It's a personal preference though. The MT will give you a slightly better crawl ratio than the AT. The front/rear differential gear ratio is 3.727:1 (5 AT) and 3.909:1 (6 MT). This gives a final crawl ratio of rawl ratio of 33.76:1 (AT) vs 41.84:1 (MT).

As fjcruser stated above, the MT is full time 4WD/AWD and the AT is selectable 4WD/2WD. I am not sure if that makes a major difference between the two on gas mileage - but I have heard from some that it does. The AT giving you slightly better gas mileage since you can run it in 2WD most of the time.

I ran stick for years, but I have to give Toyota credit on this AT... it's nice. The AT for the FJC is Toyota's shiftmatic transmission, so you can lock the AT in any gear from 1-5 by manually shifting the AT stick through the gates. Also, the AT has Toyota's new neural fuzzy logic so that when you go down hills the AT will automatically downshift if it senses you are using a lot of brakes to help slow the vehicle down on steep inclines. So far I like it and it is one of the smoothest shifting AT's that I have owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
idid this and my fj vsc ,abs slip liht and check engin all came on together and now i have 0 throttle gota bring it to the dealer now ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
i did a no cut atrack hack through the junction block on the drivers side kick panel and it worked perfectly in the george washington national forest memorial day weekend

61 - 66 of 66 Posts