TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this post has most likely already been done but i couldnt find it. i got a 99 prerunner with stock rearend with 4.11's and 7.5". i want to buy an electronic locker like on the TRD editions but i dont know where i could get one after market. or what price range that would be. any help appreciated,
RENEGADE76254

P.S. i called yota and they dont sell the e-locker setup or the new rearend with e-locker on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
i know this post has most likely already been done but i couldnt find it. i got a 99 prerunner with stock rearend with 4.11's and 7.5". i want to buy an electronic locker like on the TRD editions but i dont know where i could get one after market. or what price range that would be. any help appreciated,
RENEGADE76254

P.S. i called yota and they dont sell the e-locker setup or the new rearend with e-locker on it.
The Toyota e-locker is not compatible with your rear end. You could locate and swap in a TRD rear axle but you'd probably be better off going with an ARB locker.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
your best bet would be finding a TRD axle and swapping it in

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how hard would it be to swap?? would the wiring already be in the fuse box. with previous experiance with vehicles i found it common that they use one fusebox/wiring setup for all trucks and only connect the ones that are needed. has anybody had any trouble with the e-lockers??

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
never done a swap, but from what i've heard it's a direct replacement and the wiring isnt hard. you're right about one fuse box/wiring setup for all vehicles

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well with air locker u need air compressor, that requires a few more mods than a e-locker right?? what do u mean about same money, i seen arbs for about 900 and then air compressors i havent priced. and hopefully an axle swap from the junkyard would run 500 or so. then i could prolly get some electronic parts of the wrecked truck so i could install it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
well with air locker u need air compressor, that requires a few more mods than a e-locker right?? what do u mean about same money, i seen arbs for about 900 and then air compressors i havent priced. and hopefully an axle swap from the junkyard would run 500 or so. then i could prolly get some electronic parts of the wrecked truck so i could install it.
personally i would rather run the arb. that way in the future when/if you decide you need a front locker you already have the system set up. but thats just my opinion. also you have a compressor to air up your tires

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey, If you have that much free time then knock yourself out:) I have not seen TRD rear ends for $500, but if you keep looking maybe you can find one.

As far as the air compressor goes, the install is supposed to be straight forward. Maybe someone will chime in who has done this before.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
the TRD rearends have been going for around $800+ or about the same $ as the ARB including the compressor. Install on the TRD including electrical would probably be a little easier though...as long as your truck has all the plugs, connectors already in the main wiring harness; this is not always the case, however, so I would check that out before hand.

and the 7.5" diff is up front; your rear diff is an 8.4"...unless you have a mini.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
The TRD rear axles (Complete - Drum to drum) I've seen go for about $600-700 - Have you priced out the factory RR DIFF switch- Its like $40 bucks alone-

http://www.rocky-road.com/airlocker.html
Retail price on the locker is $700 & $200 for the compressor-

I looked around for a TRD rear end and even came across a couple for pretty good prices- However- Its really hit or miss when they are used.

I bought my rear locker & compressor both for Less than $700 Brand new from another member.
So I am quite pleased- ARB basically includes everything in the box that's required (If you don't need to regear)
plus I have an available air compressor- (use it to air up my wifes vehicle :) )
The install of the air compressor is very straight forward- plus ARB did I nice job on prepping the electrical harness & relay - They only thing to decide is where/how you want to run the air line and where you want to mount the switches.

Now my trucks ready to "drop in" a front ARB locker

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
hytenor said:
the TRD rearends have been going for around $800+ or about the same $ as the ARB including the compressor. Install on the TRD including electrical would probably be a little easier though...as long as your truck has all the plugs, connectors already in the main wiring harness; this is not always the case, however, so I would check that out before hand.

and the 7.5" diff is up front; your rear diff is an 8.4"...unless you have a mini.
Umm ya so now that ive done both the arb and a elocker i gotta say the ARB is easier!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Umm ya so now that ive done both the arb and a elocker i gotta say the ARB is easier!
ah, finally, the voice of experience ;)

RJ didn't seem to have too much trouble with his TRD swap, did he?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ive heard that the e-locker is compatible with one axle is it the trd non locker one? so if i have a stock non trd axle it wont fit but in a trd non locker it can be sligtly modified to fit? or could my axle be modified to fit it? The mod I read about involved grinding to make room and welding a chunk on to make another bolt hole, so is this mod for the trd non locker axle or my non trd axle?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeti said:
Ive heard that the e-locker is compatible with one axle is it the trd non locker one? so if i have a stock non trd axle it wont fit but in a trd non locker it can be sligtly modified to fit? or could my axle be modified to fit it? The mod I read about involved grinding to make room and welding a chunk on to make another bolt hole, so is this mod for the trd non locker axle or my non trd axle?
There's basically two rear axles:

1. TRD rear with the e-locker
2. Non-TRD rear without the e-locker

Not sure about modifying the non-TRD axle...here's a BUMP!

·
Banned
598 Posts
powertrax "no-slip" goes for around $400-$450, and is a snap to install. no-fuss no-muss with "air" or wiring.....

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Yeti said:
the mod you are refering to is for the 8" pre-Tacoma rear ends.

The non-TRD 8.4" rearend is quite a bit stronger than the TRD both in ring gear size and how the axles are fitted into the differential.

If you want a selectable locker for your truck your only options are adding an ARB RD-89 and compressor or other air source, or, doing a complete axle swap, drum to drum and wiring up the e-locker. cost wise these two options come out about the same depending on how much of the work you can do yourself.
For a non-seletable locker there are only a couple choices like the No-slip and Lockrite. For LSDs you have the aftermarket TRD that trdparts4u sells or the Detroit Truetrac.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
14 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing