TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is larger springs and.... 3link and 4 link, is there any other options for a 1989 ext cab 4x4 and which of these options is cheapest/yields best results, im guessing 62'' deaver springs are cheapest but 4 link is best?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
4 link would be the best, but it sucks ass on the street and the cost of it would be around 8-10k. The other route would only cost you probably around 3-5k depending on how crazy you want to go.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
navyseals101 said:
can you go in to a bit of detail of why 4 link is bad on road?
Your handling isn't the best and it will be noisy and not ideal for a DD unless you like noise and have 8k to drop on the back and fully cage your truck too (additional cost). Although I guess you could just 3 wheel it everywhere :rolleyes: mainly cost is an issue for most.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
navyseals101 said:
and what about just deaver springs and shocks through the bed
Deaver 62's are your cheapest option and most practical for a DD. Just the spring setup with shackles and mounts is around $1300 I think. You'll also be converting to spring under, so if you're not doing the fab work yourself it can get expensive. Even with simple shock hoops and you doing the work yourself, it will be about a minimum of $2k in parts.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Also an afterthought I had was because of a DD you want a softer ride. Shocks valved for heavy compression with coilsprings/coilovers will be a MUCH stiffer ride than shocks and leaf springs. It's not quite as plush.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Tweeter said:
Also an afterthought I had was because of a DD you want a softer ride. Shocks valved for heavy compression with coilsprings/coilovers will be a MUCH stiffer ride than shocks and leaf springs. It's not quite as plush.
I think it depends more on how you valve the shocks. Either setup can offer a soft ride with high bottoming resistance, but you're going to have to stray away from the manufacturer's defaults.

Also, whether you go springs or coils, shock valving is something that will need to be adjusted if you're going to get the most out of your suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
AllJumpStyle
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing