TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have an '03 3.4 with the trd supercharger in my '93 4runner. When I try to accelerate in the higher gears my clutch will slip. At first it seemed to do it only when cold, but this morning it had been running for a while and did it.

So my tranny has to come out. My question is, how likely will it be that my rear main seal is leaking, and secondly, how hard is it to replace one. It's possible that my oil pan leaked some oil into the bellhousing when the inspection cover was not installed. I hope that's the problem, but I am just trying to anticipate the worst.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
odonekanobe said:
Hey, I have an '03 3.4 with the trd supercharger in my '93 4runner. When I try to accelerate in the higher gears my clutch will slip. At first it seemed to do it only when cold, but this morning it had been running for a while and did it.

So my tranny has to come out. My question is, how likely will it be that my rear main seal is leaking, and secondly, how hard is it to replace one. It's possible that my oil pan leaked some oil into the bellhousing when the inspection cover was not installed. I hope that's the problem, but I am just trying to anticipate the worst.

Thanks,

Eric
how many miles on the 03 engine? pretty new for a rear main seal leaking. Its easy to replace the seal its getting to it thats the hard part. If the tranny is coming out then the seal is right there and easy to replace. Sure the stock clutch isnt being overpowered by the sc engine. How old is the clutch? Might need a heavier duty clutch, either way if the tranny is coming out to possibly replace clutch etc then the seal is easily replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor has approximately 20k on it. Are people overpowering their stock clutches? All I have is the downey headers, so I really wasn't thinking that I was putting out that much.

So I guess the idea is that I will take the tranny out and see whats going on. What would I want to do if I do go another route on the clutch? Centerforce?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
odonekanobe said:

Thanks,

Eric
if the seal is blown you are covered under warranty but if the clutch is worn out you're on your own. If you got enough oil in there from the ins. cover being off to soak the disc it needs to be replaced.

I would be surprised if that seal is out on that new a truck with only 20k.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guarantee that the motor is not covered, being that it was pulled and put in a 93 4runner. Im starting to think that just a little bit of oil did get in that inspection cover, and now it is causing my problems.

So people out there with the s/c's, are your stock clutches holding up? When I pull the tranny, I would like to swap out my clutch with what I have already. (Lifetime Warranty) But If its not gonna handle the power, I would rather put the right clutch in now. I don't really like pulling my tranny, would much rather be wheeling the rig!

Thanks.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,484 Posts
odonekanobe said:

Thanks,

Eric
The inspection cover only really exposes the backside of the flywheel. Yes oil/grease can get to the other side, but just having the inspection cover off wouldn't normally lead to this kind of issue.

A bad rear main seal usually causes oil build-up at the back of the engine just between the bellhousing and the engine (duh) and on the back of the oil pan. If you dont have any oil in this area, the seal probably isn't leaking. That seal doesn't usually go out after just 30k miles. If you do have to replace the seal, it only takes about 30min and the seal costs about $10 from the dealer.

As for the clutch, many on this board have smoked their stock clutch with the S/C on the 3.4L engine. I've replaced clutches for two people that had S/C and both went with the Centerforce dual friction. Seems to work well for them, so I'd recommend it. www.dualfriction.com for good pricing.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
odonekanobe said:
Well, I guarantee that the motor is not covered, being that it was pulled and put in a 93 4runner. Im starting to think that just a little bit of oil did get in that inspection cover, and now it is causing my problems.

So people out there with the s/c's, are your stock clutches holding up? When I pull the tranny, I would like to swap out my clutch with what I have already. (Lifetime Warranty) But If its not gonna handle the power, I would rather put the right clutch in now. I don't really like pulling my tranny, would much rather be wheeling the rig!

Thanks.
Ah...go with showstop's recommendation; he knows what he's talking about ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Showstop, thanks for the info. I think I will go with the dual friction...I have one on my 83 flatbed and its great. That was what I was going to go with originally, but the money situation was a little tight.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ShowStop said:
A bad rear main seal usually causes oil build-up at the back of the engine just between the bellhousing and the engine (duh) and on the back of the oil pan. If you dont have any oil in this area, the seal probably isn't leaking. That seal doesn't usually go out after just 30k miles. If you do have to replace the seal, it only takes about 30min and the seal costs about $10 from the dealer.
I've got these symptoms.....at 83k........did I do it, or is it just broke?

BTW Its not a "oily build up" It's wet, and leaking on mine.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,484 Posts
jh3 said:
I've got these symptoms.....at 83k........did I do it, or is it just broke?

BTW Its not a "oily build up" It's wet, and leaking on mine.
Sounds like the leak just started. If your sure its the rear main, then I'd say wait until the clutch needs to be replaced and do it then.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Is this something I've done, or has it just happened? We've got a 95.5 w/ 165k on it...........no problems. I just dont want to believe mines phuckin up at 83k!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts