TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone trimmed this section of quarterpanel out of their 4Runners?? I was thinking of trimming it out so I could tuck my rear bumper up higher and have a straight shot mount to the frame.

Here's an under shot. It shows the body mount attached to the inside.

I had alittle bit of damage last summer running with no rear bumper :saw:

Looks like a pretty critical area since the rear tailgate hinges attach to it.

Here's the inside body mount

I know some guys cut that out and end up running a truck tailgate. I need to keep the stock gate and glass for the kids. I know the tailgate will hang down but I was going to build a bumper to protect it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
That's why I recommend people build trucks instead of 4runners when they are planning to go big ... that double wall rear is a million time more unaccomodating than the single wall truck bed...

What I would recommend is cutting it, then using tube to fill the gap.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I recommend people build trucks instead of 4runners when they are planning to go big ... that double wall rear is a million time more unaccomodating than the single wall truck bed...

What I would recommend is cutting it, then using tube to fill the gap.
Yeah, but a truck won't haul my 2 kids and wife around without some major cab and tube fab work :confused:

I was thinking of maybe running a piece of 1/8" flat plate at an angle (basically just cutting the round corner off).

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Do you ever plan on running a top again? If not, just convert to a pickup tailgate.

And cut that bastard out. Fill with steel. my 1/4 rotted out there two years ago, and I cut a big hole in it, and bent new sheet to go in there. You can get rid of the whole panel. The strength is on the inside wall, not the outside. I drove around for a while with the hole, and my tailgate didn't rattle, or in any way flex the body with out the metal there. It did, however, look terrible.

Oh, yeah, and flipping finish your truck.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you ever plan on running a top again? If not, just convert to a pickup tailgate.

And cut that bastard out. Fill with steel. my 1/4 rotted out there two years ago, and I cut a big hole in it, and bent new sheet to go in there. You can get rid of the whole panel. The strength is on the inside wall, not the outside. I drove around for a while with the hole, and my tailgate didn't rattle, or in any way flex the body with out the metal there. It did, however, look terrible.

Oh, yeah, and flipping finish your truck.
Yeah, I'm planning on running the top for a couple more years while the kids are still young.

Do you have any pics of your 1/4 panel work? What did you do for the area under the taillight?

I might actually have some time to work on the truck this weekend, finally :D

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, no pics

which part do you mean by "under the tail gate".
Under the taillight :D It sticks down in line with the tail gate.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some pics of one trimmed out like I was thinking. Disregard the bumper though :D I will build something that fits a tad bit closer to the body.

What do you think?? Worth the extra bit of clearance between the tire and the tailgate? How would you build a bumper to fit that area knowing that the tailgate will stick down several inches?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts