TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 DC with Kings on the front (2" of lift) and am looking to raise my rear height to be just a little higher than the front. I have been looking at new springs, but am not sure what will be the best brand for my needs. On weekends, I can haul 2 ATVs on a trailer plus have about 200 lbs in the bed, but the rest of the time, it is just a daily driver. With the OEM springs the current sag is liveable, but I want to get 33 x 12.5s on it in the near future and I know there is no way those will fit with the sag. $$ is somewhat of an issue so I don't want to get too pricey, but I don't want something I'll be unhappy with either. I have been eyeing the All-Pros with 5100s for @ $399 or maybe some custom Alcans, which I have no idea on cost. I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from Deavers, OME, an AAL, or shackles. What would you all suggest (besides having two trucks!)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
do u have a lift for the front, or just shocks? how much were they? you like them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Deaver makes a 2" lift and then if you choose to go bigger you can get a shackle. I personally really like mine, but have never run all-pro springs or Alcans. Downey, and daystar both make 1.5 shackes. if you are happy with the ride, and spring rate then you could just do the shackles. but regardless you will need to get new rear shocks. the Deavers are right around $350
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
BigBro said:
I have been eyeing the All-Pros with 5100s for @ $399 or maybe some custom Alcans, which I have no idea on cost. I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from Deavers, OME, an AAL, or shackles. What would you all suggest (besides having two trucks!)?
I'd say go with the All-Pro's. Their springs get good reviews and they're even on sale right now at 15% off (I'm not sure if the kit w/ the 5100's is 15% off, or just the springs, though).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
wow...im an idiot, wut i meant to say was did he get new a-arms and stuff, or just new shocks, but i guess that would mean he got new everything...sry for taking up ur time...
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
schcott said:
wow...im an idiot, wut i meant to say was did he get new a-arms and stuff, or just new shocks, but i guess that would mean he got new everything...sry for taking up ur time...
lol... no need to be sorry. He may be running aftermarket A-arms, but I doubt it, as most people tend to mention that when they say what lift they're running.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you think he got new "everything." He got aftermarket coilovers (the Kings) for the front, but apparently did not get anything to lift the rear at that time. Since he didn't lift the rear, and didn't mention otherwise, I assume he's running the stock shocks back there (along with the stock leafs, which he's wanting to replace with the All-Pro's or some other brand).
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
BigBro said:
I have an 02 DC with Kings on the front (2" of lift) and am looking to raise my rear height to be just a little higher than the front. I have been looking at new springs, but am not sure what will be the best brand for my needs. On weekends, I can haul 2 ATVs on a trailer plus have about 200 lbs in the bed, but the rest of the time, it is just a daily driver. With the OEM springs the current sag is liveable, but I want to get 33 x 12.5s on it in the near future and I know there is no way those will fit with the sag. $$ is somewhat of an issue so I don't want to get too pricey, but I don't want something I'll be unhappy with either. I have been eyeing the All-Pros with 5100s for @ $399 or maybe some custom Alcans, which I have no idea on cost. I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from Deavers, OME, an AAL, or shackles. What would you all suggest (besides having two trucks!)?
If you want 33x12.50s you'll need a lot more lift than that 2" ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Yes what he said. IF you want the 33x12.5's you should also be lookin at about a 3" body lift.


Also, deaver makes a like an 8 or 9 leaf pack that is designed to carry more weight. Demello has the listed on his site. Though the All Pros might not be a bad way to go either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hytenor,
Actually you bring up something that I had already considered. I intend to also get the Bushwacker cutouts. Yes, I know they're not really made for the D-cabs, but there is a guy from the Texas chapter that has them on his and they look pretty good IMO. I would expect that should get me to 33x12.5s, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the Deavers were really best for flex, but not for heavier loads. That's why I was thinking Alcans or All-Pros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Schcott,
Just got the Kings up front, no new A-arms, etc. However, there was an immediate difference in truck handling and capability. I've also never had an issue with them. $ well spent!
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
BigBro said:
I thought the Deavers were really best for flex, but not for heavier loads. That's why I was thinking Alcans or All-Pros.
Deaver's 7-leaf prerunner pack is the most common leaf pack they sell, and you're right, it's not designed for heavy loads. But with the additional 8th leaf, load carrying capacity is improved quite a bit. Deaver, like Alcan, can custom make leaf packs to suit whatever your needs. You can talk to Jason at DeMello Off-road regarding the Deaver 8-leaf packs, if you'd like to find out their load capabilities and price in comparison to the All-Pro's.

DeMello's site: http://www.demello-offroad.com/
His e-mail: [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
BigBro said:
I thought the Deavers were really best for flex, but not for heavier loads. That's why I was thinking Alcans or All-Pros.
I just got some 5-leaf Deaver's from Wheeler's. Wheeler's said these were made more for load carrying and were close to stock (plus one leaf). I haven't installed them yet so I don't have any real world experience with these - just going off what Wheeler's told me.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
cheez said:
I just got some 5-leaf Deaver's from Wheeler's. Wheeler's said these were made more for load carrying and were close to stock (plus one leaf). I haven't installed them yet so I don't have any real world experience with these - just going off what Wheeler's told me.
If you don't mind my asking, how much were 5-leaf packs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,393 Posts
cheez said:
I just got some 5-leaf Deaver's from Wheeler's. Wheeler's said these were made more for load carrying and were close to stock (plus one leaf). I haven't installed them yet so I don't have any real world experience with these - just going off what Wheeler's told me.
You must have a96 truck? those are the stock replacement springs right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,393 Posts
BigBro said:
I have an 02 DC with Kings on the front (2" of lift) and am looking to raise my rear height to be just a little higher than the front. I have been looking at new springs, but am not sure what will be the best brand for my needs. On weekends, I can haul 2 ATVs on a trailer plus have about 200 lbs in the bed, but the rest of the time, it is just a daily driver. With the OEM springs the current sag is liveable, but I want to get 33 x 12.5s on it in the near future and I know there is no way those will fit with the sag. $$ is somewhat of an issue so I don't want to get too pricey, but I don't want something I'll be unhappy with either. I have been eyeing the All-Pros with 5100s for @ $399 or maybe some custom Alcans, which I have no idea on cost. I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from Deavers, OME, an AAL, or shackles. What would you all suggest (besides having two trucks!)?
I can have the deavers made with load carrying capacity if you like. They are not the cheapest but I have never had a problem with there customer service!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
cb77DEMELLO said:
You must have a96 truck? those are the stock replacement springs right?
I have an '04. I think Wheeler's markets them as they're own spring but they're made by Deaver - obvious from the Deaver sticker on each spring. Yeah, they're basically stock replacements (still has overload leaf) with one added leaf.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
cheez
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top