TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i know... i already tried the tech/faq couldn't find anything.

i got the toytec 2" shackles and im trying to take off my stock shackles. im having trouble with one of the lower bolts on the shackles. i think its frozen from the rust, it doesnt move out at all. after many attempts to hammer it out, its still stuck. i bought some pb blaster yesterday and sprayed some on. i will continue to spray some on bolt through out the week, until saturday when i attempt to take it out again.

are there any tips or tricks that will help get the bolt out? if the the pb blaster doesn't work, what would be another way to take out the bolt?

i will be changing the shackles and shocks, is there anything i should know for the rest of the job?

thanks.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
yeek219 said:

i got the toytec 2" shackles and im trying to take off my stock shackles. im having trouble with one of the lower bolts on the shackles. i think its frozen from the rust, it doesnt move out at all. after many attempts to hammer it out, its still stuck. i bought some pb blaster yesterday and sprayed some on. i will continue to spray some on bolt through out the week, until saturday when i attempt to take it out again.

are there any tips or tricks that will help get the bolt out? if the the pb blaster doesn't work, what would be another way to take out the bolt?

i will be changing the shackles and shocks, is there anything i should know for the rest of the job?

thanks.
I don't know if you know already, but the bolt going through the shackle on the top and bottom have a spline on the inside to prevent it from spinning. Make sure you are only trying to turn the nut, not the bolt. Also a good breaker bar would get that nut off! I use a 1" gas pipe that is about 3 feet long. That got my nuts off :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yeek219 said:

thanks.
Well if it's just the bolt you're trying to get off the shackle I'm assuming you've already successfully removed the nut. Have you tried supporting the truck by the frame on jack stands and then jacking up the rear axle housing to remove as much of the stress off the shackle as possible?

~Miguel

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o ya, i know that. the nuts came off easy. im just having trouble getting the bolt out. im able to take my passenger side shackle off. im just having trouble with the bottom bolt on the driver side.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i've also had the truck on jack stands, and jacked up the rear axle.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Then the only thing I can think of is a BFH! The bolts seem like they are almost pressure fit on there sometimes. Beat the hell out of it, unless the new shackles didn't come with new ones.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miguel said:
OK had to ask. Sledgehammer?

~Miguel
hahahaha, if it was that easy i would do it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
just throwin it out there... what if you jacked up the axle to shift the angle between the shackle bolt and leaf spring.. idk?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rebuilt98 said:
Good luck. Try some heat but you'll burn up the bushing in the process. I just had to pound the bushing out and replace it w/ poly.
i got new bushings to replace the old ones. so if that way is easier i could do that.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Thats odd, I was sure my '99 shackles they were not bolts but a part of the shackle. There was a nut top and bottom, a plate, and the rest was one piece. Maybe mine had frozen into one piece, but I thought they were meant to be that way.

In any case, to get them off, try to treat it as all 1 piece anyway. Take all the load off while not twisting the spring. Jack the whole back of the truck up until there is no compression in the spring but the axle is not hanging its weight off it either. Take off top and bottom nuts and then push the whole lot out. It it starts to skew, work top and bottom to keep it even.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not2XS said:
Thats odd, I was sure my '99 shackles they were not bolts but a part of the shackle. There was a nut top and bottom, a plate, and the rest was one piece. Maybe mine had frozen into one piece, but I thought they were meant to be that way.

In any case, to get them off, try to treat it as all 1 piece anyway. Take all the load off while not twisting the spring. Jack the whole back of the truck up until there is no compression in the spring but the axle is not hanging its weight off it either. Take off top and bottom nuts and then push the whole lot out. It it starts to skew, work top and bottom to keep it even.
you're correct, it is one piece, but the bottome bolt isnt moving. thanks for the tips, i will try it out.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
They are one piece..Take both nuts off, remove the plate behind the nuts and both studs, upper and lower, come out together. I just assumed he knew that because he said he got the other side off..

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Ahh, I get what you're saying now. One other idea is to improvise a press with a big-assed C-clamp and some shims (steel plate, sockets, whatever) to press against the spring. Harbor Freight sells an awesome tool along those lines, but it will still take improvising for the stock shackles.

I can't remember what may be in the way, but maybe you could get a gear puller on there.

·
Registered
870 Posts
jeez do i have to come over and help you out, where in socal u located ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trdtacostand04 said:
jeez do i have to come over and help you out, where in socal u located ?
haha, actually pretty close to pasadena. i think i will be working on my truck at my buddy's house in arcadia, this saturday. but if you're free, i wouldn't mind the help. i'll pay in beers :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
A friend and I actually tried pulling mine out with a comealong. The only thing that accomplished was it tried to slide my truck sideways. Of course we stopped as soon as we saw what was happening. That isn't a good thing when a truck is jacked up. I ended up cutting my old bushings out with a knife than hammering the sleeve out. Energy Suspension bushings were installed after trashing the oem bushings. Glad I planned on replacing the bushings anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts