TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

2000 Prerunner ex cab. Recently put 5100's on the front. I now want to order up some for the rear but have a couple questions.
So far I'm fairly happy with the fronts, but it is a bit stiff when driving in town on these fine Illinois roads. Feels like I'm riding in a wagon. Highway speeds it seems ok. Fronts are currently set on the 2nd groove from the bottom out of 4 grooves with stock springs. Any recommendations on how to smooth out the ride a bit? Are there different springs that may help with this or possibly a whole different set up that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? The reason I'm asking is because if there is a better route I should go, there's no sense in ordering matching 5100's for the rear.

As for the rear, are people with slight lifts running the 5100 part number listed for our trucks, the ones that call for at least 1" lift? The reason I ask is because I checked the extended lengths for the number listed for our trucks, then I jacked my truck up, disconnected lower shock mounts and measured at full droop. Distance between upper and lower mounts were 1" longer than the listed 5100's for our trucks. I can't imagine this would be a good idea as the shock would be the limiter of travel. Are you having no issues with these? Running a different part number with a longer extended length? Limit straps?

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
The stiffer front suspension is likely from the increased preload on the springs, not the shock. Kinda goes hand in hand when lifting by adding more preload.

The rear is a tricky situation. The stock mounts will typically limit your down travel because shocks that are longer for the added lift can top out on compression. You have to find the balance between the two. The recommended course of action would be to go with a longer shock and add longer bump stops to limit your up travel as needed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had 5100s in front before. Shocks control dampening not lift. More preload gives a harsh ride. When I had 5100s in the front I had bilstein d560 's in the back with ome dakar leaf springs. A more comfy ride cost money. I've tried 5 setups for the front so far I'm currently running kings upfront and dakar rear Springs with bilstein 5160s. Those rear shocks are alot nicer. It all depends on your budget

I suggest call headstrong offroad tell them what you have and tell them what you want and they will point you in the right direction. I did group buy with them once I think I used my username. There good to deal with

1 - 3 of 3 Posts