TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have fabbed a new x-member for the rear shocks....how far rear of the axle did you mount your top x-member?
I just swapped in some 63" chevies, and I plan on running some Bilstein 5150's with the top mounts angled in a bit.
I'm a bit confused here.....first it was tits to have the /\ setup. Then it wasn't. What's the latest way to mount shocks? I'll be rockcrawlin only.

--Scott

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

/\ Way more articulation, but just my opinion. I am doing a relocation in a couple of weeks.:saw:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Put a protractor on the shock, try not to exceed 22 degrees.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a protractor on the shock, try not to exceed 22 degrees.
I don't have shocks yet....I got a 3x3 square tube 3/16" wall for the x-member and some 1/4" plate for shock tabs, and no idea what I'm doing. :D I have the bed off, just got done boxing in the frame, and just unsure of where to put the member in relation to the axle. If I put it right above the axle, it looks like there won't be much room for much of a shock.

--Scott

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump........

931 Posts
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/lift/rearshocksandmounts/shocks%20mounts.htm

I just did another one about a week back. Try to get the shocks as far out on the axle as possible. Since he had the stock u-bolts and plates, we ended up cutting the stock lower shock mount stud off the u-bolt plate (drivers side) so we could get the shock farther out on the axle.

You may want to put the upper cross member in, then disconnect the stock rear shocks and then flex it out and measure both extended and collapsed lengths so you can order the right shock lengths.

The one we just did also went with the RS9000 shocks and is very happy, says it rides like a totally different truck. Played with the valve adjustment for a day or two but has found the spot he likes now.

There is also a kit from Off-Road Solutions if you dont want to fab your own. Comes with really nice shock mounts. Heres a pic from their site, but it does not have the new shock mounts that the kit we had came with.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
And do you lose the ability to put a spare back under there?

931 Posts
And do you lose the ability to put a spare back under there?
I honestly don't know! I would have to go and look and get back to you. Everyone that I know that has done this took the spare out of there anyway as they didn't want it scraped off on the trail.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can fit a 33" spare, but it's pretty tight. Not sure about a 35. That is, with a setup that mimics the folks @ ORS/Steve parks.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send you my tech article on the Chevy 63 swap, which covers all shock placement issues.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Inverted shocks ride like shit. I did mine and it works good on the trail etc. but rides crappy on the road. The more angle you tilt them at the less dampening effect the shock has.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
In this album you will find photos of how I did my xmember for the rear. I used 63" chevy's with bilstien 5150's as well. But one detail you are neglecting is what is the size of shock you are using? mine are 14" travel which meant I needed to go a bit further aft of the axle than typical application.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2116137642

The deal on the /\ set up is the angle helps with articulation but it does not allow for as much damping of the shock. basically nuetralizes what the shock is meant to do.

I know mine are angled in, about about 20º or so I wish they were more verticle and further out on the axle tubes. The wider you can get on the axle the softer the ride is going to be because the shock is damping more of the trucks weight.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Putting the shock further out on the axle makes the truck handle better because of one thing, less leverage on the shock, which equals more control. Leaning them in makes them less efficient, because you are limiting the stroke, thus limiting the dampening effect of the shock. I can't tell you where to locate your x-member because you need to flex the suspension first. If you tilt the shocks too much this way /\ you increase body roll, which sucks on the street.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
IMO, the "A" set-up is the "old" way to run them. Your shocks don't dampen like they should, you get alot of body roll, and the shocks don't really move back with the axle as the suspension cycles.

I went with a peice of 2"x2" 3/16" tubing for the crossmember. Boxed the inside of the frame and went with an angle of 50* for my shocks after cycling the susp. From center to center it's about 13" from where the shock mounts to the axle to where it is bolted through the x member.
Mounting them more inward on the axle allows for very good articulation, while leaning them back allows for proper dampening when the axle moves back. I also mounted my tabs paralel to the axle, but through the x member which allows them to move both ways when the axle is moving back, and side to side (orbit eyes)
Here's some pics of my setup. I've only had it out on about five runs, and so far I'm very happy with how it works.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
IMO, the "A" set-up is the "old" way to run them. Your shocks don't dampen like they should, you get alot of body roll, and the shocks don't really move back with the axle as the suspension cycles.

I went with a peice of 2"x2" 3/16" tubing for the crossmember. Boxed the inside of the frame and went with an angle of 50* for my shocks after cycling the susp. From center to center it's about 13" from where the shock mounts to the axle to where it is bolted through the x member.
Mounting them more inward on the axle allows for very good articulation, while leaning them back allows for proper dampening when the axle moves back. I also mounted my tabs paralel to the axle, but through the x member which allows them to move both ways when the axle is moving back, and side to side (orbit eyes)
Here's some pics of my setup. I've only had it out on about five runs, and so far I'm very happy with how it works.

That looks oddly familiar! :confused:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yep, your design. :) The only thing I changed from Dunks was how the top of the shock mounts to the x-member. 'Yall used a tab, I bolted it straight through with a sleeve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts