TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install lift kit on my truck. So, i'll need rear shocks but i got a question : Will relocate the rear shock, like a ''V'' from the axle to a custom ''crossmember'' worth the time and money to do this? Is the flexibility will be more with this shock set-up or if i just keep the stock shocks set-up with good shocks like RS9000X or Billstein will do the job as well?

Thanks for your opinion
Jo

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
if u do the relocate flip the u bolts too. youre gonna do new shock mounts on the axle anyways.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Classydjo said:
I'm about to install lift kit on my truck. So, i'll need rear shocks but i got a question : Will relocate the rear shock, like a ''V'' from the axle to a custom ''crossmember'' worth the time and money to do this? Is the flexibility will be more with this shock set-up or if i just keep the stock shocks set-up with good shocks like RS9000X or Billstein will do the job as well?

Thanks for your opinion
Jo
be aware that the more angle you put the shocks at (/ \)the less effective they will be. You can compensate by getting shocks with heavier valving than OE or as you suggested, the 9000s and crank them up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, the move worth the time and the cash after all?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes, its worth it for the added articulation you get. Bear in mind that whatever type shock you decide on you'll want to pick your mounting points and take measurements from those points with one side of the axle fully stuffed, and fully droped. That will give you your extended, compressed, and travel lengths to look up for the right shock model.
Also, take it for what its worth but the way I set mine up was to cut out the old upper left shock mount completley, weld tube to the ends of the 3" square stock (crossmember) put poly bushings inside the tube and run a bolt though the lower frame rail "C" channel, though the poly bushings, and through the top of the "C" channel, then nut and washer on top. So the tubes on each end sit verticaly inside the "C" channel of the frame and ride on poly bushings. This prevents a rigidity between the ever flexing frame that can cause the crossmember or frame to crack and break. I can also pull it out anytime I need to for whatever reason (like if I need the spare steel for fix something on the trail :eek: . Just my :2cents: but if you go that route I can take some pics for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot! I'll decide what i'll do when my front kit will arrive ;) I,ll surely need your pics if it do not cause troubles :)

Special thanks to you!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SgtMunger said:
Yes, its worth it for the added articulation you get. Bear in mind that whatever type shock you decide on you'll want to pick your mounting points and take measurements from those points with one side of the axle fully stuffed, and fully droped. That will give you your extended, compressed, and travel lengths to look up for the right shock model.
Also, take it for what its worth but the way I set mine up was to cut out the old upper left shock mount completley, weld tube to the ends of the 3" square stock (crossmember) put poly bushings inside the tube and run a bolt though the lower frame rail "C" channel, though the poly bushings, and through the top of the "C" channel, then nut and washer on top. So the tubes on each end sit verticaly inside the "C" channel of the frame and ride on poly bushings. This prevents a rigidity between the ever flexing frame that can cause the crossmember or frame to crack and break. I can also pull it out anytime I need to for whatever reason (like if I need the spare steel for fix something on the trail :eek: . Just my :2cents: but if you go that route I can take some pics for you.
sounds interesting...post up some pics ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Right side shows crossmember mounted inside "C" channel, bolted through and riding on poly bushings.

Left side mounted the same. Note:The stock upper left shock mount had to be cut out to fit this crossmember in as one unit. What you see in this pic on the white shock is a bolt in.

A quick pan back shows the new upper bolt in mount (in stock position) that is used for my air-adjustable shocks I put in when I carry loads or drive long distance. It improves its street manners and I can carry heavy shit without having heavy duty, less flexible springs.

The wide shot. I yank the air shocks out when I wheel of course.

The lower stock position mounts for the air shocks are modified from the RockStomper U-bolt flip kit. The lower inverted V shock mounts I made from 3" square stock (just like the crossmember.

The upper shock mounts are the same: 3" square pieces I cut up.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SgtMunger said:
Right side shows crossmember mounted inside "C" channel, bolted through and riding on poly bushings.
LOL, wow! that is some wild "red-neck" engineering there :p

the 'air shocks for loads' idea is very interesting, though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
While I do admit to being a ******* its still a sound physics principle Chris :p . For it to be true rednect I'd have to add some duct tape and bailing wire, but I'm fresh out, I used it all to hold my supercharger on :D . That crossmember doesnt twist on the polys while the shocks are operating, if that what you were thinkin ;) . Ever seen how much your frame is flexing while rock crawling? If you impede that movement your putting undue stress on your crossmember welds or isolating that flex to a smaller portion of the frame which is worse. But again, thats just my :2cents: . I'm not a fabricator but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :D

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SgtMunger said:
While I do admit to being a ******* its still a sound physics principle Chris :p . For it to be true rednect I'd have to add some duct tape and bailing wire, but I'm fresh out, I used it all to hold my supercharger on :D . That crossmember doesnt twist on the polys while the shocks are operating, if that what you were thinkin ;) . Ever seen how much your frame is flexing while rock crawling? If you impede that movement your putting undue stress on your crossmember welds or isolating that flex to a smaller portion of the frame which is worse. But again, thats just my :2cents: . I'm not a fabricator but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :D

ok, so similar to a norcal ******* with all that engineering in there :p

and I resemble that remark.

I guess all that mud kinda gave it away though.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Now you're talking- I've been laboring over the decision what to do back there forever now and the poly seems like the way to go.
Right now I just have a piece of pipe welded in there for the shock mounts, but I'm relocating through the bed a little because I hate the extreme / \.

Hey I've only got black tape on mine- bailing wire and duct tape are for employed ******** ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SgtMunger said:
How'd you guess? :lmao: I am originaly from NorCal (Paradise, Butte County) :D

I grew up in Merced..Okie reject town, LOL

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey I've only got black tape on mine- bailing wire and duct tape are for employed ********
Nex week dey gonna learn us ha to use dem pipe clamper thangs and I'ze gonna make me an exo cage with some old exhaust pipe I cut outta du junk yard place :xrocker: :xbeer2:

I
grew up in Merced..Okie reject town, LOL
hehe, I bought my first Yota out of there, an old black 81 on 33's with a Lincoln locker in the rear. There was some serious Okie engineering on that puppy :kewl:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts