TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
---------------
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
TBob said:
Good idea Bob, might as well upgrade your speakers since the interior is ripped out. New speakers will make a difference over stock, even with the stock radio - however, if you upgrade the head unit, you will get more power and better control over the sound going to the speakers. My stereo includes a built in cross-over that allows me to control the frequency going to the front speakers, the rears and the sub - much better way to go for improved sound quality.

I have Polk Audio speakers in the extra cab and Polk component speakers (separate tweeter/mid) in the doors (tweeter is in triangular tweeter mount like in 3rd gen 4 Runners - got from web). I think the extra cab and front door size is 5.25" for your truck - you can fit a bigger speaker in the extra cab if you modify the brackets or get an adapter bracket from the web. Bigger speakers in the door may require more modifications.

Let me know if you want some more info or pics.
 

·
---------------
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
grumpy said:
if not going to run an amp,I'd suggest stay stock and upgrade HU. It'll sound better overall
I disagree - my stock stereo sounded much better with new speakers - I later upgraded the stereo and it sounded even better. You can put a killer stereo in your truck, but if your speakers are stock, it's still going to sound stock....just more power going to crappy stock speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:dunno: so what do I need to get? Polk speakers?

4xClover said:
Good idea Bob, might as well upgrade your speakers since the interior is ripped out. New speakers will make a difference over stock, even with the stock radio - however, if you upgrade the head unit, you will get more power and better control over the sound going to the speakers. My stereo includes a built in cross-over that allows me to control the frequency going to the front speakers, the rears and the sub - much better way to go for improved sound quality.

I have Polk Audio speakers in the extra cab and Polk component speakers (separate tweeter/mid) in the doors (tweeter is in triangular tweeter mount like in 3rd gen 4 Runners - got from web). I think the extra cab and front door size is 5.25" for your truck - you can fit a bigger speaker in the extra cab if you modify the brackets or get an adapter bracket from the web. Bigger speakers in the door may require more modifications.

Let me know if you want some more info or pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Bob,

Polk is good, so is Boston Acustic and Infinity. Now if you want the good stuff go for MB Quart. They are without a doubt the best money can buy and you can hear the difference if runing a good head unit between the MB Quart and the Polk (even though Polk is a good brand). You really can't go wrong with any of these.

I had a set for 16 years that were played very loud with all kinds of amps over the years. One speaker finally went when the glue that holds the cone to the speaker frame finally gave way!

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a new head unit like Alpine or Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten) and get new speakers. You'll be amazed at the difference in sound quality by using the brands I mentioned versues brands like panisonic and jensen.

Hpe this helps,
Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Bob -

I've been very pleased with Polk car audio speakers. About 6 years ago I replaced all the factory speakers in my 4runner with Polk components and sub/amp new HU. They still sound great to this day. Several of my other friends put Polk speakers in their vehicles...and all happy.

Sound is a personal choice...but in my experience the Polks have the best all around sound vs Infinity and Bostons. MBs and Diamonds I havent tried. Of course Polk has several different lines, but their mid grade line teamed up with a HU and amp really put out some good tunes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Another thing, Crutchfield is overpriced I think. Circuit City carries Polk, they generally have good prices and sometimes you can find an open box deal -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
if you dont get at a minimum new HU wiht more power then stock be careful on what spkrs you get. low power will blow a speaker faster then overpower. you need to run too much unclean power (distorted) to the spkrs (you won't hear it) and they will blow.
boston acoustics do not require much power but they are $$$$.
go to rabini and sons and get new alpine HU that pushes at least 35Watts RMS don't deal in peak power its a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,088 Posts
Here is an interesting read...

http://www.decware.com/secrets5.htm

I built my system around this concept and I only spent $300 and it sounds awsome. I used a self powered sub like Bazooka for the base and one small amp with high/low pass crossover for the mids and tweeters and it will blow you out of the vehicle. It hardly ever distorts and is always clear. Good luck, but you really can have a nice system for very little money if you do it right.
 

·
---------------
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
Westy said:
Another thing, Crutchfield is overpriced I think. Circuit City carries Polk, they generally have good prices and sometimes you can find an open box deal -
Yes, Crutchfield is over-priced--Goot point!!! However, they have a great website for finding the products you want to fit your vehicle - get the model number(s) and shop the net for the best prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea it did that - it showed me alot of different choices. I'm thinking may I'll just stop by audio express and see what they say - maybe they'll have something on sale.

4xClover said:
Yes, Crutchfield is over-priced--Goot point!!! However, they have a great website for finding the products you want to fit your vehicle - get the model number(s) and shop the net for the best prices.
 

·
---------------
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
TBob said:
yea it did that - it showed me alot of different choices. I'm thinking may I'll just stop by audio express and see what they say - maybe they'll have something on sale.
Won't hurt to check with them, but I wouldn't buy anything from those fawkers! Just my opinion though...... Here are some website I've bought stuff from for much cheaper than retail and crutchfield.

http://www.etronics.com
http://www.hookedontronics.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds great but I have know idea what any of this is - sounds like I don't need to replace the speakers though

Kaistie said:
Here is an interesting read...

http://www.decware.com/secrets5.htm

I built my system around this concept and I only spent $300 and it sounds awsome. I used a self powered sub like Bazooka for the base and one small amp with high/low pass crossover for the mids and tweeters and it will blow you out of the vehicle. It hardly ever distorts and is always clear. Good luck, but you really can have a nice system for very little money if you do it right.
 

·
---------------
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
TBob said:
sounds great but I have know idea what any of this is - sounds like I don't need to replace the speakers though
You can do a number of things regarding your stereo - it really comes down to personal preference. For me, I wanted to get rid of the factory speakers b/c they sounded like shit - did that first and then added a new head unit. Had that for a while and then added an amp and sub and then later replaced the head unit for a newer model to get Sirius.

Just really depends upon how much you want to spend homey! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Ive used etronics and i love there service and products and price, i would highly recommend. I think im the only person in the world that hates mb quart, they broke in three months but maybe i had a Friday special. you know?
 

·
Good For You
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
TBob said:
sounds great but I have know idea what any of this is - sounds like I don't need to replace the speakers though

T-BOB, go get a amp for the speakers. You will be amazed at the difference a little power makes in the quality of the stock system. Give me a call later today if you have any questions.
 

·
Good For You
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
Kaistie said:
Mike has spoken, end this nonsense immediately :rolleyes:

WTF is that supposed to mean? You got something to say, speak up.

For what he wants to spend, a small amp will make a noticable difference. When he wants to spend more, he can definately do better than an amp.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
12 Participants
az250r
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top