TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the tacoma scene (atleast to modifying them) and had a question about the rear spring setup. I have had several early model toys that I have turned into rockcrawlers and have always put chevy 63's on the rear. Makes them ride like a caddy. Does anyone put these springs on the rear of their tacos???? Im not turning this into a crawler because its my dd but of course I have the itch to make it better than it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
There are a number of guys that have them, but they also have relatively larger lifts, 6" and up, since the spring produce a good bit of lift on a tacoma. They are a nice setup though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I was worried about. Looking at the rear end of my taco compared to my other toys it looks like it would be a lot more lift than I was after. It lifted my 80 pickup about 4 inches which was perfect but looks like it would jack the taco up a bit more. I guess Ill have to go to a junkyard and check out some leaf springs and see whatll work. Cant see buying deavers for my mall crawler.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
85buggy said:
Yeah thats what I was worried about. Looking at the rear end of my taco compared to my other toys it looks like it would be a lot more lift than I was after. It lifted my 80 pickup about 4 inches which was perfect but looks like it would jack the taco up a bit more. I guess Ill have to go to a junkyard and check out some leaf springs and see whatll work. Cant see buying deavers for my mall crawler.
Hopefully somebody who has done the Chevy's swap will chime in, but if I remember correctly, they'll give about 3-4" over a stock Tacoma setup.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
85buggy said:
Im new to the tacoma scene (atleast to modifying them) and had a question about the rear spring setup. I have had several early model toys that I have turned into rockcrawlers and have always put chevy 63's on the rear. Makes them ride like a caddy. Does anyone put these springs on the rear of their tacos???? Im not turning this into a crawler because its my dd but of course I have the itch to make it better than it is.
another decent alternative is a rebuild.. Check out my site in the mods section for the write up :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
atwinda said:
another decent alternative is a rebuild.. Check out my site in the mods section for the write up :)
i agree. this is the least expensive route for anyone who is not a all-pro wheeler and wants a better ride. this is what i will be doing...

however, i've been told that the oem leaf steel breaks more easily than the other like Deaver or Alcan, but then again, i'm not doing any crazy off-road stuff so it should be fine for me.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top