TTORA Forum banner

Blocks or Springs? Remember I will only be lifting the truck 2" all around.

• Blocks

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Springs

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Georgians. I have indeed tried the search function and by no means am I a stranger to Yotas. So I do have a question out there for members who have had first hand experience with these two types of approaches and would love to hear any pro's or con's that might come with them. Question: Blocks or Springs? If you do want to throw up some info that would be much appreciated. Lexus Senior Cert. and Toyota Expert Cert. not to mention ASE Master Cert. (not trying to come across as conceited just want to provide a little background) so please feel free to throw out as much tech info as you would like. My application will be with my 93 P/U as in my sig. I will be utilizing Toytec Ball-joint spacers up front (2") and am curious as to which set-up is commonly prefered to lift the rear. Pros, cons, suggestions or a simple vote would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, springs are best. Add a leaf is next best, then shackles, then blocks. It all really depends on your budget and goals. If you're just going for looks, then blocks will suffice. If you're going to wheel it a lot, then go with another choice.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, springs are best. Add a leaf is next best, then shackles, then blocks. It all really depends on your budget and goals. If you're just going for looks, then blocks will suffice. If you're going to wheel it a lot, then go with another choice.
So blocks are not really built for longevity or is it a more of an issue of all around suspension performance?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree, blocks are mean to your springs. I've had both on my 98 taco. the springs from all-pro have a much better ride, hint; get the next size up from what you want, because mine settled. I only needed two inches, but I bought the three inch.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far. That was a good reminder about the axle wrap. I have seen OEM's implement these on trucks but I figured there has got to be a threshold that you do not want to cross.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just get some shackles off ebay for 40 bucks. cheap, easiest to put on and should wheel just fine.
Phil I do have a question about the shackles. What's the equation or rule-of-thumb when it comes to shackle length vs. actual lift achieved. I appreciate the response BTW.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Lift shackles,however much longer the shackle is than stock youget half that much lift. say you have a 2 inch longer shackle youll get 1 inch lift, 3 inch longer shackle you get 1.5 inch lift. You dont need to go with no more than 2 inchs of lift with shackles.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
This kit right here:
Lift
with the shackles if you arent doing any heavy towing/hauling. If you are going to tow and haul alot then get the AAL.

Sorry to go different than everybody else:rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This kit right here:
Lift
with the shackles if you arent doing any heavy towing/hauling. If you are going to tow and haul alot then get the AAL.

Sorry to go different than everybody else:rolleyes:
No all ideas are much appreciated. In fact those Toytec rear springs were exactly the ones I had in mind if I were to do the leafs.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
No all ideas are much appreciated. In fact those Toytec rear springs were exactly the ones I had in mind if I were to do the leafs.
Also, I know that you said that you are going with the spacer lift, but if your budget allows a little bit more I would recommend the OME lift from Toytec. I dont know what kind of research you have done, but the OME will ride better than the spacers, and if I remember correct, the spacers cause premature front end sag(faster than the OME). I have had mine for 3 years with no problems. Just food for thought....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I saw that kit for the Taco's. The difference is I have IFS w/ Torsion bars instead of front coils. Again I appreciate the responses. :kewl:

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I'd do aal or shackles or both if need be.
If I remember right we had a 1.5" blocks under a '92 that we had. Cranked up the t-bars a little to level it out. BJ spacers are better tho. It was okay I guess...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yeah I saw that kit for the Taco's. The difference is I have IFS w/ Torsion bars instead of front coils. Again I appreciate the responses. :kewl:
Ok, my bad. I dont really know anything about the older models

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Nobody16
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing