TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure this thread is going into the appropriate category, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how interchangible the rear suspension components of a Tundra are with that of a 96 Tacoma?

Basically, Im looking to use the shocks, lift blocks, and AALs from a Fabtech 2.5" lift for a Tundra.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jessevic said:
I cant see how anything off a fullsize rear would bolt to a midsize rear. I could be wrong, but since you are buying a cheap ass rear end lift, why not just buy the tacoma version of it?
No offense, but I was looking for someone to reply who actually knows the answer to my question... not just an assumption.

And the reason Im looking to put this rear lift on my truck is because I am getting this lift for free, and hoping it is interchangeable with Tacomas. My current suspension is shot and Im trying to slowly upgrade with a small lift. Not quite ready to commit to purchasing a $2K 6inch lift yet.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
nobody suggested a 2k 6" lift. nor will i

since its going to be free why don't you just go for it and let us know how it turns out. i think the determining factor would be the spring width.

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
A measuring tape would answer your question. Also stay away from the lift blocks unless you really want to be made fun of, which is why you got the first response. But measure everything, spring length and width, shock lengths, distance between axle and frame, and etc. Do this on your truck and tundra to see how well they match up. But if I had to guess the springs will be the same width but will be longer. My guess as well is tundra springs would probably provide some lift to the tacoma by themselves.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Would Tundra leafs work? I am also wondering this because techicnally this would make my truck a half ton pick up if I put the tundra suspension under it right? I think the rear leafs would work but what about the coils up front?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah use a tape measure, if that doesn't work you could always weld it, of course, that might not work either. :welder:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Unless someone beats me to it; Tomorrow I'll measure my springs, and the springs on my wife's Tundra, and let you guys know.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Blitanicle99 said:
Would Tundra leafs work? I am also wondering this because techicnally this would make my truck a half ton pick up if I put the tundra suspension under it right?
you would have a half ton drive train but not half ton bearings or diff, if the tundra diffs are different that it

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Blitanicle99 said:
Would Tundra leafs work? I am also wondering this because techicnally this would make my truck a half ton pick up if I put the tundra suspension under it right? I think the rear leafs would work but what about the coils up front?
Takes more than springs to make a 1/2 ton... brakes, frame... I think the rear ends are the same....

Searh for the OEM lift, havent seen it much here but check out yotatech.com lots of guys running tundra coils up front, but again wont make your mini a half ton...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Im just gonna hold out for something else... just not sure what yet!

·
Registered
131 Posts
ah64id said:
Takes more than springs to make a 1/2 ton... brakes, frame... I think the rear ends are the same....

Searh for the OEM lift, havent seen it much here but check out yotatech.com lots of guys running tundra coils up front, but again wont make your mini a half ton...

Just to clear this up, Tacos and Mini's ARE 1/2 ton pickup's, the payload on a 05 is 1400 lbs. They even made a 1 ton mini model in the 80's :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Tatunka said:
Just to clear this up, Tacos and Mini's ARE 1/2 ton pickup's, the payload on a 05 is 1400 lbs. They even made a 1 ton mini model in the 80's :D
I still wouldnt qualify one as a half ton.. Not by generic standards.. Yes they can carry over a 1/2 ton.. but there are also 1 tons that have a payload of almost 3 tons, and they are still 1 ton trucks...

I am not trying to knock the streangth or classification of the taco/mini.. I love my mini.. but despite its strong chassis I wouldnt qualify it as a half-ton. Half-tons are full size trucks... IMO a halfton is also a useless truck... why get a fullsize that you will max out its ratings with a wet fart.... Either get a mini or a 3/4....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts