TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a '04 Tacoma xtracab v6, 5-speed and I was trying to decide what I want to get for the rear of my truck. Up front I am going to be lifting it a total of 3" and I was hoping to lift the rear somewhere between 1.5-2.5". I want to have someting on the rear that will ride ok (doesnt have to be great) but most importantly something that will be able to support the weight of a 5-6k trailer (I am only going to be towing it on level ground for about 5-10 miles at the MOST only about once a month). My budget is to spend about 600 on the rear not including shocks... so guys... spend my money and tell me what i need! :)

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
if ur just looking for a basic lift for the rear, i have a set of add a leafs from downey off road added 2 1/2" and they were only like 90bucks shocks were bout 70$ a piece, so far im satisfied with it, i carry a lot of steel around and the springs helped compensate for the sag, another good company i hear if ur looking for a whole new set of springs is deaver springs, im not sure what the pricing is on those

99 cxb 2.7, 2 1/2 285/75r16 deuler AT ARB winch, customized exhaust and header

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Tacoma418 said:
I want to have someting on the rear that will ride ok (doesnt have to be great) but most importantly something that will be able to support the weight of a 5-6k trailer (I am only going to be towing it on level ground for about 5-10 miles at the MOST only about once a month). My budget is to spend about 600 on the rear not including shocks... so guys... spend my money and tell me what i need! :)
With a $600 budget, I'd suggest new rear leaf packs by Alcan, Deaver, or OME. OME's would be the cheapest of those; I think they're about $350 for a pair, without shocks. They provide about 2.5" of lift. Custom Alcans or Deavers would run you closer to about $500, I think, and could be more custom-suited to your particular needs than the "off-the-shelf" OME packs.

Edit: Deaver's standard off-the-shelf 7-leaf prerunner pack is the most popular/common of their leaf packs, but they're very soft and are not suited to towing the weight you state you regularly tow. They offer an 8-leaf version that is more suited to towing, but I'm not sure what the load capacity is on those. Contact Jason at DeMello Off-road, and he can give you more information on those, if you're interested. (look up "cb77DEMELLO" in the Members List for his contact info, or to PM him)

·
Registered
182 Posts
As someone mentioned before, Alcans are a possibility. Mine were shipped out yesterday :) and ran me $470 for 3" of lift over stock. If you tow or carry weight in your bed, the Alcans may be a better option than the Deavers, esp if you don't care that much about flex. Deavers are better for flex, Alcans for towing.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
well Alcans are custom made...so they can customize the way you want it to be...for towing..better flex...etc...etc...

but alcan would be the best choice since you can tell them what u are planing to do with ur truck...and they will make ur leaf pack according to the way you want to perform...

FYI u spelled suspension wrong...Chris... :D
"suspen[t]ion"

·
Registered
134 Posts
For off the shelf I would definetely look at the OME. It sounds like just the ticket for what you described. They are built to be a two stage leaf spring, and more designed for occasional towing. They also have springs that are designed to go up to GVM!
The progressive spring design of Deaver and most Alcan are not going to hold up to this, and they may have to try a couple times to get the custom spring right to your requirements building something from the ground up. In my experience you can get a 10 leaf Deaver pack, that will hold the weight, but you will be talking a 4+ inch lift, not the 1.5-2 inch you are wanting.
On the Alcan's: 04 RedLobster has it exactly. They are custom to your application. Deaver leaf springs get the wrap that they are not good for particular applications because they use the same arch in there Tacoma design, and add leafs to increase the spring rate to handle more weight. Consequently, this provides more lift as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are going to tow alot an AAL might be a good option. It will not cause the springs to squat as much when you are towing like a shackle lift would. But with $600 you can probibly do better, unless you want to save some cash.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
04RedLobster said:
but alcan would be the best choice since you can tell them what u are planing to do with ur truck...and they will make ur leaf pack according to the way you want to perform...
Deaver will do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Tacoma418 said:
Ok, I have a '04 Tacoma xtracab v6, 5-speed and I was trying to decide what I want to get for the rear of my truck. Up front I am going to be lifting it a total of 3" and I was hoping to lift the rear somewhere between 1.5-2.5". I want to have someting on the rear that will ride ok (doesnt have to be great) but most importantly something that will be able to support the weight of a 5-6k trailer (I am only going to be towing it on level ground for about 5-10 miles at the MOST only about once a month). My budget is to spend about 600 on the rear not including shocks... so guys... spend my money and tell me what i need! :)
I can do Custom Rear Deaver springs for right around there.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
synovus said:
Deaver will do the same thing.
oh yeah i forgot that Deavers will custom make them for you too...stupid me...well either one should be good...just that they are out of my reach...since they are too much money...for me.. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a similar story about Deaver....kind of. They were going to stick by there product as long as I paid shipping. No buddy wants to take responsibility to pay even if it isn't what they told you it would provide. I have had Alcan tell me they would pay shipping till it was right, and I am sure a lot of people have heard the same from Deaver, but when push comes to shove customer service falls short when it affects the bottom line. Then you start getting posts like the one you point out, because the company was too worried about losing a dollar vs. satisfying the customer. In the end Deaver took care of me. I guess they swept it under the carpet, and got back on track, but I am still weirded out about the extra cost for so called custom springs that all have the same arch, and just more leaves. I started out with 9 leaves, and have 8 now, and I think I could have went for 7 leaves based on the lift I have, but will live with a little extra lift in the rear. I don't want to loose any money on my custom springs. :D
I just chalk it up for a lesson learned, and caution others to thinking that there is only one good manufacture out there.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
I have a similar story about Deaver....kind of. They were going to stick by there product as long as I paid shipping. No buddy wants to take responsibility to pay even if it isn't what they told you it would provide. I have had Alcan tell me they would pay shipping till it was right, and I am sure a lot of people have heard the same from Deaver, but when push comes to shove customer service falls short when it affects the bottom line. Then you start getting posts like the one you point out, because the company was too worried about losing a dollar vs. satisfying the customer. In the end Deaver took care of me. I guess they swept it under the carpet, and got back on track, but I am still weirded out about the extra cost for so called custom springs that all have the same arch, and just more leaves. I started out with 9 leaves, and have 8 now, and I think I could have went for 7 leaves based on the lift I have, but will live with a little extra lift in the rear. I don't want to loose any money on my custom springs. :D
I just chalk it up for a lesson learned, and caution others to thinking that there is only one good manufacture out there.
You ordered 9 leafs from deaver and had them replace them with 8 leafs? Were they too stiff?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I never got to see how stiff the 9 leaf pack was. There was so much lift that I couldn't fit the stock TRD shocks on.
I told Deaver I wanted 2.5 inches of lift with more carrying capacity for camp/4wheeling trips. They suggested 8 or 9 leaf pack. I went with the 9 leaf for extra measure and got 4+ inches of lift. The second go around I went with the 8 leaf instead of gambling that they were going to be able to bring the 9 leaf pack around to what I wanted in the first place. I found it took 500 lbs of weight in the bed to bring the truck to a 2.5 lift, or to compress 1 1/2 inches on the 9 leaf pack. I drove the truck with weight in the back even with the 8 leaf pack till the Bilstein's arrived. The 8 leaf has me at 3+ inches. When I put the 7100's on the truck it lifted a little bit more from the shock pressure.
I know that Deaver would have totally taken care of me if I were local, and shipping wasn't involved.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
I never got to see how stiff the 9 leaf pack was. There was so much lift that I couldn't fit the stock TRD shocks on.
I told Deaver I wanted 2.5 inches of lift with more carrying capacity for camp/4wheeling trips. They suggested 8 or 9 leaf pack. I went with the 9 leaf for extra measure and got 4+ inches of lift. The second go around I went with the 8 leaf instead of gambling that they were going to be able to bring the 9 leaf pack around to what I wanted in the first place. I found it took 500 lbs of weight in the bed to bring the truck to a 2.5 lift, or to compress 1 1/2 inches on the 9 leaf pack. I drove the truck with weight in the back even with the 8 leaf pack till the Bilstein's arrived. The 8 leaf has me at 3+ inches. When I put the 7100's on the truck it lifted a little bit more from the shock pressure.
I know that Deaver would have totally taken care of me if I were local, and shipping wasn't involved.
I'm not crying foul, or squealing in Deaver's direction. But, a lot of these leaf packs need to be seated in. These buggers ride high and hard for a while, and you might have to beat them up a bit. For my work chevy, there was 0 movement on my rear end. I thought it was a major F/U. But, we put 3,700lb in the back a week later. Wow.... those springs moved. And after that, they have been very good. I won't say which shop supplied them, but my sig says where I am. And 3 years later, the leafs still do the job, and haven't lost their ride height or 2" of lift. Are they stiff?? They are 2-1800lb leaf packs in the rear. They carry a LOAD. They ride very well considering what they do. It is possible with the light trucks you will need some time and load to push these springs where they should be. I hope you get taken care of from who ever builds your parts. I know the shop close to me has done well so far.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah I don't know if that is true or not about the "settling" thing. I ran the truck for nearly 2 weeks with 500lbs in the back, and flexed it to the bump stops. Its still high. I don't expect it to settle any more than 1/4 of an inch with the same payload and fuel weight over the next few years.
Heres some pics before hitting the road, and about a 100 lbs worth of boxes in the back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are going to to keep your truck for a while stay away from AAl. They are great for a cheap short term fix. Get a new spring pack if you want to do it right. Speaking from experience, overloading the springs beyond their reccomended load rating wears em out quick. A wobbly rear end is no fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts