TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone beside all-pro make these? my buddy got a complete axle flip kit for his Sammie and it was only 20 buck compared to the 50 that all-pro wants for theirs less the spring perch. i know they are different products but pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Allpros sucks.
Buy one from somebody that can read a tape measure.
FROR, Marlin, etc.
Anywhere you go its going to be expensive- shit U-bolts are the worst part. The plates are only 20 bucks, but you need new U's so just live with it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ubolts

I've got a set of round ubolts that come with some 3 inch steel lift spacers, also a square set of ubolts $20 for the whole mess
email me and I'll send you my ph#
here's a pic and my ad http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/277277594.html
some guys get two steel plates cut and drilled and make their own.
I've even seen a steel plate with holes in the corners welded to the spring perch and the springs sit on it with another plate on top and and they use grade 8 bolts to sandwich the springs, no ubolts at all.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Timstoy said:
Wes
I've got a set of round ubolts that come with some 3 inch steel lift spacers, also a square set of ubolts $20 for the whole mess

Thanks Tim but I already got a set for my rig- Had to take a torch to the Allpro plates I got to make them fit( bolts holes), then had a spring shop make the Ubolts for me.
They are nice and tight on the axle which I like, and any spring person I think will say is correct- Ubolts tight to the axle, tall nuts and an inch of threads showing. I love going to professionals :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yeah, Ive seen that before online somewhere- looks pretty cool. Aside from easier, cheaper, home-fab not sure what you gain though... over a flip that is.
Wonder what size bolts they used? I went ahead and got my Ubolts 9/16 so I don't worry about those suckers at all.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
oo want one

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Timstoy said:
some guys get two steel plates cut and drilled and make their own.
I've even seen a steel plate with holes in the corners welded to the spring perch and the springs sit on it with another plate on top and and they use grade 8 bolts to sandwich the springs, no ubolts at all.
those won't even work cause they aren't rounded to wrap around the bottom of the axle. they are squared.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like my best bet is Marlin. FROR are a bit pricey at 80 bucks. 1/2 steel plate or not. i don't need 1/2 for the top of my leaf spring! my bumpstop isn't that hardcore! :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You ought to call them and see what size U bolts they use, eye to eye measurements on plates, etc. and measure your axle to make sure.
It needs to be snug on the axle- if they are building shit to work on any old axle, move on.
Just my advice, take it or leave it- I will save you the call to AP though, like I said, theres is not right.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Wes said:
Yeah, Ive seen that before online somewhere- looks pretty cool. Aside from easier, cheaper, home-fab not sure what you gain though... over a flip that is.
Wonder what size bolts they used? I went ahead and got my Ubolts 9/16 so I don't worry about those suckers at all.
I'm using the u-bolt eliminator and love it. Not for the saving of ground clearance.. 9/16 is pretty small. But for the 5/8" bolts and the bigger stronger spring perch. I haven't had my bolts come loose yet, where I always seem to have problems with u-bolts staying tight. I wish i could put one up front! 5/8" bolts are much easier to carry than u-bolts and in G8 they are damn strong. They can also be used for spare bolts for my hydro setup.

We used the same bolts as replacements when my buddy sheared both 5/8" G8 bolts holding his knuckle to his TRE for his full hydro.

Pretty versitile bolt IMO!!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I bought a u bolt flip kit from Allpoo and the u bolts were not the right diameter for the axle tube. It seemed to be about 1/4" off. I had to hammer them on from the bottom and then squeeze the bolts to fit the plates...horseshit.
I really like the u bolt eliminator idea. I have never heard anything about this before. Is this something you can do on the front springs, or does this fall under the same (No No)mentality about putting blockes under the front springs?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Kaistie said:
I really like the u bolt eliminator idea. I have never heard anything about this before. Is this something you can do on the front springs, or does this fall under the same (No No)mentality about putting blockes under the front springs?
The reasion I can't put them on the front axle is the space required on the axle tube. You would probably have to run a full width spring hanger kit to space the springs out enough on the axle tube.

I don't see why they would be different than u-bolts on the front end.

One complaint people have against the u-bolt eliminator kit is if the spring perch should fail... there is nothing holding the spring to the axle tube...

IMO if you have a failure like that... the rig is going to have bigger problems to worry about. The axle tube would have to rip in 10 places or I guess you could have a huge ~4" chunk missing from the top of your axle tube?

Hard to explain...

AP changed the design and the middle piece, basicly another leg that goes completely under the perch. Much stronger...

OH BTW... you can not get bolts in going UP through the eliminator unless you put them in before you weld it to your axle... I would just them through the top like the picture shows. You can replace bolts w/o breaking out the cutting device.
Hope the pictures help.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i bought A-P's u bolt kit, the u bolts seemed a little on the small side. had some new ones off a full size chevy laying around. so iused those. ive bought alot of stuff from all pro , everything seems to work good :2cents:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts