TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just recently I swapped the TOY 8" diff for a Ford 9". I don't have the rear VSS anymore. I'm getting a P0500 code and my speedo isn't working.

I already tried to tap into the front wheel VSS's at the skid control ECU but this did not work.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
you can install the tone rings in the 9", but I don't know the details. Wyatt at Demello Offroad is smart on this issue, maybe give him a call. Luckily the 4wd's speedo sensor is in the transfer case so mine still works, but of course the abs,vsc, and traction control don't. There's also a speedometer app for the iPhone if you have one of those-

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can install the tone rings in the 9", but I don't know the details. Wyatt at Demello Offroad is smart on this issue, maybe give him a call. Luckily the 4wd's speedo sensor is in the transfer case so mine still works, but of course the abs,vsc, and traction control don't. There's also a speedometer app for the iPhone if you have one of those-
Is there a VSS in the tranny? Mine is 4WD as well but it is my understanding that there are no VSS's on the tranny. Toyota usually uses a VSS1 on the tranny and another backup VSS2. I understand that there is no VSS 1 or 2 on these vehicles.

However according to my diagrams the signal comes from the WSS (wheel speed sensor, aka VSS) it goes something like this:

WSS > skid control ecu > combination meter > ECU (the signal is "conditioned" be the combination meter)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Really? I had thought about this ... where would I feed it to? i mean where does it go?
contact Wyatt on this...he has all the needed spec and install writeups.
awesumdc

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Pulled a VSS from a Land Cruiser. Wired it as per Wyatt's method and it works just fine. CEL is now off. Still have ABS and e-brake lights on, probably since rear WSS are unplugged. Used a 31 teeth gear on VSS and seems to be a little off, it reads faster than actual vehicle speed. Trying to get a 28 tooth count gear for VSS.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Update:

Pulled a VSS from a Land Cruiser. Wired it as per Wyatt's method and it works just fine. CEL is now off. Still have ABS and e-brake lights on, probably since rear WSS are unplugged. Used a 31 teeth gear on VSS and seems to be a little off, it reads faster than actual vehicle speed. Trying to get a 28 tooth count gear for VSS.
what year/model LC?
interesting to see that a non-Tacoma/Runner VSS works in the new Taco tcases.
junkyard price?
2-wire or 3-wire?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what year/model LC?
interesting to see that a non-Tacoma/Runner VSS works in the new Taco tcases.
junkyard price?
2-wire or 3-wire?
It came from a 1999 HZJ105. This model was not available in the US. However, it uses the same fulltime transfer case found in the USDM 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers.

It is a 3 wire sensor and it was a freebie since the donor vehicle is mine. I still need a VSS to replace that one!

AFAIK there are 2 models of VSS that are very common amongst the entire Toyota/Lexus platforms. They vary on the gear side usually. I believe the stock M/T on an 05 Tacoma uses a 28 teeth gear. It is stamped 28-11 on the plastic gear. The one Im using is 31-11.

HTH

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
It came from a 1999 HZJ105. This model was not available in the US. However, it uses the same fulltime transfer case found in the USDM 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers.

It is a 3 wire sensor and it was a freebie since the donor vehicle is mine. I still need a VSS to replace that one!

AFAIK there are 2 models of VSS that are very common amongst the entire Toyota/Lexus platforms. They vary on the gear side usually. I believe the stock M/T on an 05 Tacoma uses a 28 teeth gear. It is stamped 28-11 on the plastic gear. The one Im using is 31-11.

HTH
very good info!
If, in fact, that vss you have works with the Taco tcases you can order any of the 5 different gears...28, 30, 31, 32, or 33t.
I have all the pt #s in the speedo gear writeup in the faq/tech section.
even if the shafts are different lengths (as in some early Tacos) the gear itself can be pressed on/off what shaft you have with ease.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
very good info!
If, in fact, that vss you have works with the Taco tcases you can order any of the 5 different gears...28, 30, 31, 32, or 33t.
I have all the pt #s in the speedo gear writeup in the faq/tech section.
even if the shafts are different lengths (as in some early Tacos) the gear itself can be pressed on/off what shaft you have with ease.
Cool, I'll look for that writeup.

edit:

Found it!http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Speedometer_error

Thanks Hy-T!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts