TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive had my kings on the truck since either late july or early august, and the passenger side is leaking pretty bad out of the lower seal, and driver side is leaking about half as bad. the coil seat on the passenger side has a nice collection of oil as well... they arnt actually puking oil or anything, its just leakin out slowly and building up gunk on the coil seats and on the bottom of the shock body.

my questions are: how long can i drive on them with a leak like that? what is the usual turnaround time on having a pair of shocks rebuilt? if i plan on adding a bypass up front later, should i just have the coilovers revalved now? how much softer will it be w/ a different valving and no bypass added yet?

ive been driving with the "slow" leak for about a month now, i just dont know if im causing permanent damage to the internals. i plan on having the race-series seals installed at time of rebuild. just trying to get an idea of how long im lookin at since i dont really have anything else to put in there to keep the truck driveable... thanks in advance

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don't even both with revalving the shocks until you have the bypasses.

I'm not sure on the rest. Belk should know about the turnaround time on rebuilding a set of Kings, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Actually I'm not positive on the turnaround time, you'd have to call King. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Shock oil's a funny thing, the tiniest little bit seems to expand and attract so much gunk and crap that it looks like you've lost half your oil, when in reality, you've only lost a menial amount. I had a badly pitted shaft cause some leakage on my rear bypass a while ago, and for a while there was oil everywhere, and when I finally had time to tear it apart, the oil level was only down about an inch. Didn't even noticeably affect performance. See if you can pressure wash the oil off so you can monitor how much keeps coming out, and I wouldn't romp it in the meantime, but you can probably hold off until getting bypasses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts