TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just aquired a Craftsman 3ton floor jack from my brother. It would act spongy so I read up on here: http://www.hyjacks.com/i111.htm And bled the system. Same thing. Bled the system again. It's sucking air past the seal somewhere (which I think it's where the pump is)

So, is rebuilding a floor jack fairly easy? Where can I get the seals? Any writeups anywhere? I would hate to get rid of this jack because it is the old style, which uses a gear instead of a stupid u-joint.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Check out the parts lists on the Sears web site. They have a parts center for everything Craftsman and what ever else sears carries.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Maybe you can just pull the thing apart and yank the O rings then take them down to an autoparts store, or an OSH, even Vatozone has them, and match them up size wise. Get yourself some new jack oil while you're at it. I think I got a bottle of it at OSH or somewhere like that.
Good luck with OSH. Ever since Sears bought them, they have been going to hell so they don't have some of the cool stuff they used to carry. Now that K Mart owns Sears, I suppose it will only get worse. Sigh

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Just aquired a Craftsman 3ton floor jack from my brother. It would act spongy so I read up on here: http://www.hyjacks.com/i111.htm And bled the system. Same thing. Bled the system again. It's sucking air past the seal somewhere (which I think it's where the pump is)

So, is rebuilding a floor jack fairly easy? Where can I get the seals? Any writeups anywhere? I would hate to get rid of this jack because it is the old style, which uses a gear instead of a stupid u-joint.
I've had the same problem. I just twist the shit out of the handle to lock down the release screw and it holds up fine. This is after bleeding the cylinder, of course.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No matter how much I twist it it doesnt. It will get about halfway up, then it won't go up. It just sounds like it's pumping in air...

So the only two seals are for the ram and for the pump rod?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dick Foster said:
Maybe you can just pull the thing apart and yank the O rings then take them down to an autoparts store, or an OSH, even Vatozone has them, and match them up size wise. Get yourself some new jack oil while you're at it. I think I got a bottle of it at OSH or somewhere like that.
Good luck with OSH. Ever since Sears bought them, they have been going to hell so they don't have some of the cool stuff they used to carry. Now that K Mart owns Sears, I suppose it will only get worse. Sigh
Yeah. Just looked the parts up on the phone, parts are discontinued. This jack isn't that old!

Looks like I'll take the O-ring to the pump handle down to the hardware store and see what they can do...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dick Foster said:
even Vatozone has them
LMFAO, I can not believe I haven't heard that one yet.......
(and I was unaware that K-mart bought sears :confused: :confused: )

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yeah, they did. I'm guessing they will start the sell off any day now. That's what the brilliant minds at K Mart did with their own chain. They couldn't compete with Wall Mart and were bleeding money so they eventrully got around to selling all of their hard assets i.e. their store property. For the short term, they made some money. With standard MBA logic, all that really matters is the next 90 days or so. When the public usually only takes the lowest price into consideration until it's all gone that's the only way isn't it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts