TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a shit load of gift cards for my b-day.so i figure ill buy everything needed to put 4.56 in my truck. what brand is recomended?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I personally like Motive or Precision gears. I had Yukon gears in my Dana 44 granade on me so I might have a biased opinion though

·
Registered
49 Posts
Precision gears

·
Registered
822 Posts
nation said:
got a shit load of gift cards for my b-day.so i figure ill buy everything needed to put 4.56 in my truck. what brand is recomended?
I had two sets of genuine gear and never had a problem, plus theyre cheap too. i had a set of precision gears in a ranger go out because the pinion bearing siezed on the pinion due to a faulty axle seal. The genuines have a lifetime no questions asked warranty with them too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am running genuine 4.88 in my truck and do far so good. This is a pandoras box question you ask, but it has more to do with setting them up properly then the brand per say IMO. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL! I think the general consensus is precision or yukon are "the best" but that is always debatable since best is a relative thing to your needs and budget.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Genuine Gears are genuinely made in Taiwain of soft inferior metal

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
US Gear are top of the line too. Stay away from the cheap imported gears unless you want to pay an installer to do it again all over later. A lifetime warranty isn't worth sh!t without covering the labor too. Just how many times in your life do you want to pay someone to replace your gears?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I got superior but haven't installed yet. Im sure its like everything else, they are all made in one plant and just put in differnt boxes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
mt_goat said:
US Gear are top of the line too. Stay away from the cheap imported gears unless you want to pay an installer to do it again all over later. A lifetime warranty isn't worth sh!t without covering the labor too. Just how many times in your life do you want to pay someone to replace your gears?
good point. unless you get 'em to practice yourself 'til you become a professional installer after blowing a few sets of ring & pinions. :D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
ben90 said:
good point. unless you get 'em to practice yourself 'til you become a professional installer after blowing a few sets of ring & pinions. :D
Yeah we have a pro installer here in OKC that installed some genuine gears in has own rig because he knew if they broke he could just replace them for free. Well he drove all the way to Moab for a week of wheeling and the first day there, yep you guessed it, they broke leaving him stranded 1000 miles from home with limited tools. He wasn't wanting to waste his whole trip there so he ordered a complete 3rd member from Randy's and had it over nighted to a Moab motel and he swaped it and finished his trip with about $1400 less in funds. Needless to say he doesn't install genuine (crap) gears anymore.

I should say I got about 40,000 miles out of a set before they were trashed. I had them replaced with US Gears and went to 4WP with the trashed R&P and got my new free R&P and sold it to a guy for about $25. That's about what they are worth IMHO.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
mt_goat said:
X2... and one of the few gears my local installer would even install...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
mt_goat said:
Yeah we have a pro installer here in OKC that installed some genuine gears in has own rig because he knew if they broke he could just replace them for free. Well he drove all the way to Moab for a week of wheeling and the first day there, yep you guessed it, they broke leaving him stranded 1000 miles from home with limited tools. He wasn't wanting to waste his whole trip there so he ordered a complete 3rd member from Randy's and had it over nighted to a Moab motel and he swaped it and finished his trip with about $1400 less in funds. Needless to say he doesn't install genuine (crap) gears anymore.

I should say I got about 40,000 miles out of a set before they were trashed. I had them replaced with US Gears and went to 4WP with the trashed R&P and got my new free R&P and sold it to a guy for about $25. That's about what they are worth IMHO.
in that case, well, i guess you have a stong and very good point against genuine gear.

By the way, i got myself a set of precision gears :D Hopefully they'll last longer than genuine gear.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
ben90 said:
in that case, well, i guess you have a stong and very good point against genuine gear.

By the way, i got myself a set of precision gears :D Hopefully they'll last longer than genuine gear.
Yeah Precision and US Gear are both great gears. Sometimes you get them in a Yukon box, but how do you know ahead of time?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Isn't it Yukon that ships some off brand gears in a Yukon box sometimes, or is this another brand. I remember a thread about this sometime ago. If this is true, I'd go with Precision.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yeah like Gump says, Yukons are like a box of chocolates.... :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Everybody rips genuine gears and had I known that I might not have bought them. Having said that, I've wheeled mine very hard and now I've towed at nearly the full 5,000 lbs capacity across the Appalachian mountains several times. I have about 25,000 miles on them and I've never had a problem or even a hint of a problem.

Break in your gears properly, find a good installer, and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts