TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know, phone book...but if anyone has used a metal plating service in the past and could recommend any particular business, I'm looking at getting a small item plated in bronze or copper...probably bronze.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've never plated anything copper or bronze but you can try Denver Metal Finishing. They're around I70 and Steel st

·
Registered
99 Posts
D.M.F is one of the only platers left in Co.
What is the part? If you could settle for copper I might be of help...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bronze would be ideal, but copper might work.

It's pewter, though I don't have it in hand yet...not ordering unless this will work.

The piece isn't very large...it's an arc about 1.5-2" wide and 6" diameter or so.

The coating needs to be bombproof bonded and thick, like lifetime+ durable...it's a show piece & will be handled and unfortunately will probably end up bounced off a few things over the years.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try DMF. Was also gonna give Acme Plating (in Montrose) a call...found them on a web search.

*Edit...the people at DMF were cool, but weren't able to help with the plating I want...they can do gold, but that's OTT for this piece!...not to mention, he said "durability is not a strong point" w/r/t gold plating :lmao:. No go.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Could you powdercoat the piece? The shop where I am taking my rims to be powder coated has a brown bronze color which is what I am coating my wheels with. Just and idea.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Why bronze, any particular reason?

I ask since you sound like you need something mega durable (i.e. not bronze).

·
Registered
99 Posts
ACME does primarily silver and gold... iirc the do the grammy or emmy awards... They are supposed to be great folks, I know one of their chem suppliers. I would give them a call. I don't think my copper will do the job over pewter. Note also that the part will likely need special cleaning and polishing prior to plating.
In Longmont there is a high tech waveguide manufacture that has a lot of plating options and does electro forming, not sure they would quote but who knows, look up Custom Microwave.
Eagle claw and Schlage used to plate in Denver but i think those processes moved to asia, don't quot me on that though I'm not sure. Anywhere you go will probably be expensive. Operating any kind of heavy metal plating shop in North America is obscenely expensive these days, hence the green polluted rivers flowing in China and the dark factories in the USA.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also, don't give up on Gold, Cobalt hardened gold finishes are available and tend to be very hard/durable. Electronic contacts are plated this way to get the electrical/corrosion properties of gold with long wearing durability.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Acme, really nice people down there...they can do it, though you're right, it's not inexpensive. Not outrageous considering the cost of the piece itself, but still not cheap.

It's not truck related, not functional hardware at all in fact..."for explanation see avatar" would be the easiest thing to say. I think I only confused the poor girl on the phone at Acme when she asked what it was I was hoping to plate :lmao:.

Gold would be waaaay too much bling for this :D...but I didn't know that about durability. There's 83/6/11 (I think...?) bronze anyway, less expensive too...but it's the color of 89/11 bronze I'm after.

I'm not gonna beat the hell out of it, and hopefully it'll never, ever get banged around, but you never know. The benefit of bronze, brass or copper as a base is pretty obvious, no matter how often it gets banged around it'll always polish up, but finding someone who can work with any of those is damn near impossible. Then, I need someone who can cast it, and pewter is pretty common...last item is bronze plating, since I don't even know anyone who casts bronze for a hobby in the US. I can find ready-made pieces in pewter and get them prepped and plated, at least...but ideally, I need a sculptor and a casting facility.

If you guys know anyone like that, hook a brother up...I've been drawing blanks on this for a while.

Another option would be taking a line drawing and transferring to CNC, but I don't know if that's possible...or how easy it would be, if it is possible, nor do I have the equipment. Ok I'm kinda thinking out loud, but if anything I'm saying rings a bell for anyone, post up...

Can pewter be powdercoated? ...easily?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Post pics of what you are after...? The more info you post, the more input people can give you ;)

You say hopefully it will "never, ever" get banged but then say it will still polish up no matter how much it gets banged around. Either you have something precious that you need to take care of or you have some piece of junk that's going to roll around in a toolbox or under the seat...so which is it?

Unfortunately, I don't know any scultors haha. Post a pic and I can let you know if you can have it machined or not. I could do all that for you if you wanted to go that route. I would make it out of adamantium then you wouldn't need to bother coating it!

No go on powder coating or anything else that uses significant heat, pewter melts at a low temp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not truck related, not functional hardware at all in fact..."for explanation see avatar" would be the easiest thing to say. I think I only confused the poor girl on the phone at Acme when she asked what it was I was hoping to plate
So my guess then is "Major League Bagpipers Jewel protection system for attending COTTORA events in a Kilt" device? Close?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my guess then is "Major League Bagpipers Jewel protection system for attending COTTORA events in a Kilt" device? Close?
:rofl:

you got it, it's the metal piece on top of the junk protector, and this one will be worn for solo piping & formal stuff. not so much a 4wheeling item :lmao:...

so yeah, it's something that'll be taken care of, but it's also one of those "lifetime of use" things...good pieces get handed down. there's also a good chance that i'll eventually get beer, scotch, girl juice, rain, dust, and who knows what else on it...and since it's hanging at roughly junk level, it should be protected by nature since i don't normally go around quagmiring my junk on stuff...but stupid shit happens.

adamantium...fawk yeah :D.

something that just occurred to me...the basic style of these things could be programmed up real easy. The one below is just a semicircle, some of them are a squared profile, but that's about it. no need for plating, this way.

this is a complicated version. most likely a pewter base, chromed...that's the sort of piece i'd be getting plated in bronze.

i don't see that one getting programmed easily, tho.

i dunno what to say, people :D...i should've asked here first :lmao:. if this happens, i'm buying the scotch for a while :cool:.

·
Registered
99 Posts
SWEET! Those things are pretty cool, lucky guess.
Solid metal rules, never peels like plating can, machine it if you can.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sean, methinks you and I should get on a trail together and start a Kilted Wheelers subchapter of CoTTORA.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SWEET! Those things are pretty cool, lucky guess.
Solid metal rules, never peels like plating can, machine it if you can.
:cool: Yup that's why the idea of machining it from a piece of solid appeals to me so much. Atlas has the material locally, gonna drop in next week & take a look. Their bronze is 93/7 copper/silicon, machines well and can be soldered, brazed or welded, but I need to check the color. Other option is thinner sheet, and weld it up...and by that I mean track down somebody with a TIG cuz I don't have the cash flow to buy one right now. Maybe someday.

Sean, methinks you and I should get on a trail together and start a Kilted Wheelers subchapter of CoTTORA.
:lmao: Sounds cool, but would be a terrible idea, if you consider the details...

-If Carhartts cost as much as kilts, we wouldn't wear them wheeling.
-Kilts don't take well to being sat on, if you can help it.
-If spotting anyone up a hill but your girlfriend, first time you crouch to check clearance, they'll shift to reverse and punch it.
-Working on anything under a truck is right out, since none of us carry mind bleach.

...I suppose it might attract more girls to the club. All the same, if you're kilted, you're not spotting me up any hills :flipoff4:. No offense intended :D.

So anyway, back to machining or welding 93/7 Cu/Si bronze...Brandon, what would you need to run this on a mill? DXF? I have ACAD.

Assuming this works out...I'm playing well enough that I got moved out of beginner grade for next season, and assuming I can hold on to the upgrade, I should be ready to play public formal events in about a year, and free to the COTTORA crew if anybody needs a piper. Just take it easy on the weddings, and don't anybody take this as an excuse to kick off early ;). If you want to hear, a few of us are at Scruffy's once a month on a Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
:lmao: Sounds cool, but would be a terrible idea, if you consider the details...

-If Carhartts cost as much as kilts, we wouldn't wear them wheeling.
-Kilts don't take well to being sat on, if you can help it.
-If spotting anyone up a hill but your girlfriend, first time you crouch to check clearance, they'll shift to reverse and punch it.
-Working on anything under a truck is right out, since none of us carry mind bleach.

...I suppose it might attract more girls to the club. All the same, if you're kilted, you're not spotting me up any hills :flipoff4:. No offense intended :D.
The beauty of the Utilikilt. ;) I tested climbing into a lifted rig the other week and it works out fine, and crouching is no problem. I had thought of the working under the truck thing though. Might need a little mental floss after that one. :D

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Judging from the picture, that's not going to be cheap to make... Do you already have it drawn up in cad?
Not drawn up yet. Might need a little guidance...it's been a while since I drew something up for cnc, and I don't remember if acad provides a drawing feature for depth of cut of a pocket, other than a text notation. Can your machine tap as well? If not, no biggie...I can sort it out from a blank in the right place.

Only the upper style would be cnc, the lower is just too complicated.

I just talked to the guy who's building the piece, he's sending me a sample to work from.

Where it might get expensive is pocketing out the back of a thick piece of material...constructing a box might be easier but then it's getting in to brazing, solder or tig and the cost difference might be a wash.

Anyway the sample should be here around the end of the week.

Asha'man said:
The beauty of the Utilikilt.
Ohhhhhhh. I think I would be shot, if I showed up to play comp in one of those :lmao:. I get enough grief for not wearing a fawking hat, vest and tie. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts