TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my renewal from Allstate, and they want to jack my rate $100 every six months. For no reason. Well, because of a 'significant increase in medical payments and uninsured drivers and comp claims' (read: hail damage) in my zip code. So yeah, no reason. I guess being a customer for 20 years with only a single not-at-fault uninsured driver claim doesn't mean jack shit.

So I'm shopping around. Don't care about rates, since that's so specific to person and vehicle but:

Who do you have? Had you had to use them? If so, how were they and would you recommend them? If you get the same coverages and limits, is there really any difference between companies other than actually dealing with them over a claim (only ever had Allstate)?

I saw earth's recent thread about Progressive, but I don't have the same issues with a heavily modified/built vehicle. My roommates have them, have had three not-at-faults in the past couple of years, and are happy with how things went.

·
Registered
556 Posts
We are in the same boat,we have allstate and are not happy. They keep terminating our policy and now our policy is locked up. We are shopping around as well.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Geico hasn't been horrible. I've dealt with them in the past but switched and now have come full circle back to them.

I'm at $1087 6/mo with sr22 and full coverage on both my diesels (07 ram 3500, and an 01 ram 2500).

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Had USAA, great service etc; now I have Progressive and they're cool too. And about $150 cheaper than USAA for a 6-month policy. 92 Civic and 85 4Runner, in Colorado Springs. Some tickets, one DUI 5 years ago they don't count. Progressive goes back 3 years for driving records.

Score. :cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heard nothing but good about USAA from both people and ratings, but unfortunately I don't qualify. I should probably have my parents look into it. They're also with Allstate and always have been, but Dad was in the Navy. And if they got it, as I understand it would qualify me too.

I met with a Geico person and the quote I ended up with was about $200/6 mo. Which seems really low to me but as far as I can tell has the same coverages (actually, a little more). I then went to a Progressive agent who happens to sell a variety of companies and actually recommended I go with Allied (a Nationwide company). They offer year long policies, but are supposedly a lot more restrictive on their pool. For example (as given to me) if you get a DUI they'll drop you and not cover you again. They were about $700 for the year.

But I also learned something interesting. I'd done an online quote with Progressive and it came back at $313. The agent ran it with the exact same coverages and their quote was $422. She told me that if you buy direct it is cheaper, because they do pay a portion to the agents if you get it through them. That's a lot to pay just so you can always talk and work with the same person if something happens.

Went to a local Allstate agent (mine is in Lakewood since that's where I was living when I first got the policy) to ask my questions and was suggested all kinds of changes, including increasing some limits and lowering others, and the best I could do if I made all those suggested changes was $387/6 mo. But at least I got more information and understanding of things I can change and just how much the individual options cost.

Went to talk with State Farm too, but it was late on Friday and so they're supposed to run numbers and get back to me. I'll be interested to see how much they differ from the online quote.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also heard about Hagerty Insurance, which is for classics but technically my truck is a classic....lol. However I heard they insure to and from the trail but not on the trail which is awesome. You don't have to lie about what the vehicle is and what your using it for. I'll look into it more.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Trying to find a good insurance company is like trying to find a good lawyer, financial advisor or politician. There are no good ones, only bad and worse.
We'd all be much better off is there were no insurance of any kind. All they do is take peoples money and do their utmost to fuck things up. It's how our healthcare system got to be so far off into the weeds.
If you take the insurance out, then you take the money and all the asshats out of the equation too.
If you sit down and think about it for about two seconds then you can see that insurance brings nothing to the table but loss and corrution. They can't because they do can do nothing else but add to the woe at our expense. Just like lawyers do.

So I just got my renewal from Allstate, and they want to jack my rate $100 every six months. For no reason. Well, because of a 'significant increase in medical payments and uninsured drivers and comp claims' (read: hail damage) in my zip code. So yeah, no reason. I guess being a customer for 20 years with only a single not-at-fault uninsured driver claim doesn't mean jack shit.

So I'm shopping around. Don't care about rates, since that's so specific to person and vehicle but:

Who do you have? Had you had to use them? If so, how were they and would you recommend them? If you get the same coverages and limits, is there really any difference between companies other than actually dealing with them over a claim (only ever had Allstate)?

I saw earth's recent thread about Progressive, but I don't have the same issues with a heavily modified/built vehicle. My roommates have them, have had three not-at-faults in the past couple of years, and are happy with how things went.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you have a shot at usaa do it. I use them for banking, insurance, and investments (for now) and they are simply outstanding.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So as an update, I went with Geico. Two different State Farm agents never got back to me, and most online quotes I got came back in the $350 range. For the same types/levels of coverage Allstate wanted $513/6mo I was able to add medical, roadside, and 'best' rental, as well as drop both deductibles by half, and still only come out at $226/6mo. Even read through the details of both policies and while there are some slight differences (cap amounts paid for contents or funeral, no coverage in Mexico vs coverage within 75mi of the border, others), for my purposes they're pretty much the same. A few things I learned I thought I might share:

Allstate's top level policies (Platinum) offer a check of up to 5% of your premium back at the end of the period every 6mo you go without a claim. This and multiple accident forgiveness (vs single) is the only difference between Platinum and the next step down, Gold. However the premiums for the same coverage levels are 7-10% higher. Let me pay you more money so I can get some of it back, but not all the extra I pay you? No thanks. Unless you have a new (3 model year or newer) vehicle, in which case there are some other things that do make it potentially worth it, including further discounts that mostly bring the two rates in line. This is how I ended up on that level in the first place, when I first bought my truck... eight years ago.

Platinum and Gold have this thing where every 6mo you go without an accident, they give you $100 toward your deductible. This is one of their big sell/ad points, like they're unique, but a few other companies do have it. In every case I saw, it caps at $500 (though an agent claimed it had no limit for one, contrary to the website). Thing is, once again you pay for it. The 'deductible rewards' or 'vanishing deductible' is the primary difference between Gold and Standard (along with accident forgiveness - you still get one, but after five years not right away), and there's another 10-15% premium rate difference to pay for it.

In fact that's one of the things to watch - reducing the deductible, premium rebates, and accident/violation forgiveness were all offered by a few different companies, but it always raised the rates. With another company it was $100 6/mo, so basically if you pay the higher rate to get it, after 2.5 years you've given them the same amount in 'extra' premiums they'll put toward your deductible - and everything beyond that is just more money for them, since it's capped at $500.

Accident (and/or violation, which is sometimes separate if available at all) forgiveness is another big Allstate selling point, but I found almost everywhere offers that. Usually after a period of time, maybe right away if you don't have anything on record in their window, and sometimes you can buy *just* that. This is the only one that is kind of worth it, because if something does happen and you're found at fault, your rate won't go up. And the rate jump would be a lot more significant than the extra $8/6mo Geico wants. After I think it was two years with them, I'll have it without paying the extra $8.

It's kind of amazing how detailed and personal auto insurance can get, and I'd like to hope that was reflected in the rates (but I'm too lazy to check with the state board to get the big picture, since all companies have to file their underwriting rates and guidelines). The two biggest things I would pass on are to shop around and when doing so make sure you're comparing apples and apples, and as soon as you have access to it read your actual policy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I own Pinnacle Roofing and I've worked with tons of INS companies - but on the homeowner side obviously! For what it's worth, Allstate is a terrible company when it comes to claims. They underwrite policies so their quotes are competitive, and my clients often find this out the hard way when they have to cover code improvements out of their pocket (even after the deductible). I mention this because you usually get a discount for combined home/auto policies, so while Allstate may seem like a good deal, they're far from it.

As a vet, I used USAA and have personally had car/home claims with them, as well as dozens of roofing clients. Their service is probably the best out there, but you pay for it. We saved hundreds by leaving them years ago - but if you are the spouse of a deployed serviceman, this is who you want taking care of you. Every employee in that company cares about you the client, and I'm always impressed with the way they service their insureds.

My own experience and research is to shop for a new policy every 2-3 years. Call independent agents and match your coverage exactly to get accurate price comps. Ensure you have code coverage and water back-up protection as well - even if tree roots cause the back up!

The reason is that insurance rates change according to dozens of variables, but one is every company's risk load-balance. You may fit a market demographic (age/marriage/# of accidents/etc) that one specific company is trying to off-load (so they raise the rates knowing some customers leave while others just pay the higher rates), or you may find a company who is trying to incite your demographic by offering a better rate. It's all about that balance and it changes annually for eery company.

My research has been that Safeco has consistently given me the best rates (42yo M, family of 4 with full coverage on 2 cars, liability on a third, no accidents or tickets). They also do a good job with homeowner claims, but I don't know how they do with car accidents.

All the "safe driver" rebates and crap are just crap. Don't bother, you'll pay too much in my experience.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
American family- I just pulled the lexus pay $446.60 a year for stated value on the Toyota and an over done liability on the dually. I added Wendy and my business partner as drivers and insured my dads storage unit. I was paying more $900 a year with a broker for liability on the truck and the lexus(same cost as the dually to insure) and when i had stated value with the broker i was paying $1200 a year on the toyota alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
vwfastg60
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing