TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking a code reader that shows me engine data, engine codes, and shows what sensors have failed. I have a 96 Tacoma but am also getting into the used car business so I would like to know what needs replacing on the vehicles before I buy them at auction.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Looking a code reader that shows me engine data, engine codes, and shows what sensors have failed. I have a 96 Tacoma but am also getting into the used car business so I would like to know what needs replacing on the vehicles before I buy them at auction.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=engine+code+readers&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=74798193501&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=598916642957149851&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_41sr3dahhx_b

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a very basic Actron type with two buttons. It only gives me a code number so I have to take the extra step of looking up the number online, and some numbers have a few possible causes. I'd like something a little more advanced that would give me more info. Looking into some of the bluetooth versions...

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Usually the generic OBDII readers will just give you a code that you look up. To get more all encompassing data than that you need a reader specific to the vehicle make and those are usually much more expensive and limited in their use. Typically these are for dealerships to work on a specific make.
I like Linear Logic's Scan Gauge II because you can leave it intalled in your car or remove it to read and reset codes in other vehicles. That plus you get gauge functions which are always nice to have. It can even keep track of your gas mileage. http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

The Scan Gauge II will read both OBDII and CAN codes. CAN is a later standard used in some newer vehicles.

There are hundreds or maybe thousands of them out there, some very simple and cheap and other much more exotic scanners that use you smart phone and wifi for the display etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
SafetyDang
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing