TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recon sticker? if so how hard or easy was it to obtain.
Are they strict on lifted trucks ?:confused:

·
Registered
380 Posts
they are getting stricter on some stuff and more lenient on others.

you don't need affidavits for exhaust anymore, and i think S/S brake lines. but, you may want to have paperwork handy. I also passed with DR coilovers, no problems (i heard they werent passing cars with coilovers because it was to stiff, (bounce test)).

They will check your:
engine bay (major engine mods)
bumper height (depends on truck)
tire sticking out past flares
mud flaps front and rear must cover tire.
tint
any sticker or tint passing the "as1" line on the windshield
and maybe some other stuff.

its like a safety check on steroids.

don't forget to call and make an appointment. when you get there just drive up to the line for recon and sitback till called.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
recon or safety check sticker

I own a beautiful 2006 taco lifted 6 inches with some mean wheel package, how ever, my safety check is due this month and I dont wanna spend 5 hundred dollars on fender flares and mudflaps just to use it to pass recon. Does anyone have any suggestions or possibly used fender flares and stuff?

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
not sure about o'ahu - but i hear it's super tough... anyway to perhaps borrow someone's wheels and tires that don't stick out past your fenders?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've heard people say that, use my old stock tires and rims. what about mud flaps and my coil overs? I bought the fabtech coil overs in the front and the fabtech shocks for the rear? will they say anything about that?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I try to check every modified rig I see to see if it has the recon and I would say that about 90% of them do not! I had to get it done on my 86 runner that totally mild to say the least. Then I see these guys running rigs with tons of lift and tires sticking out 20" with no recon?!? I can understand if they slap on some other tires but if its lifted its supposed to be recon'd. That hole "braddah" system around really pisses me off. Mostly though because I havent found my way into it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
same here. since we live here in honolulu, Ive seen the same and wow, where is the love? help another out. I dont care to much about the recon, but the safety check is what I really need and soon.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
same here. since we live here in honolulu, Ive seen the same and wow, where is the love? help another out. I dont care to much about the recon, but the safety check is what I really need and soon.
I havent done it myself but I heard if you can find the right guy, slip him $100 bucks or whatever its worth to you and you could be good to go! Dont quote me on that though...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own a beautiful 2006 taco lifted 6 inches with some mean wheel package, how ever, my safety check is due this month and I dont wanna spend 5 hundred dollars on fender flares and mudflaps just to use it to pass recon. Does anyone have any suggestions or possibly used fender flares and stuff?

Did you schedule an appointment yet ? when is it ? I called the recon station about 4 weeks ago and the lady said they were a month behind on appointments.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
When I made my appointment back in early november, I couldnt get in until the middle of january!!! Pretty convenient that they are the ONLY place on oahu to do it. Can you smell a monopoly? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just got one done on my truck a few weeks back. All of the stuff in my sig is what I had on it (minus the Safari snorkel... I didn't want to risk that, so I just did it afterwards...). The only thing I had to really *do* was provide a copy of my alignment specs. Nothing else - including the suspension, which is only about 1.5 to 2" of lift - raised any eyebrows.

Do note: they didn't really seem to emphasize the following important items (or I didn't remember them, which is probably more likely):

1) they require $15 for the inspection, check or EXACT change ONLY (no ATM/credit cards)
2) your alignment inspection must have been done within 30 days of the recon inspection. Mine was done last year, but the guy still let it slide, since I hadn't done anything to the suspension since then, but I definitely got the idea he was just being nice in letting it slide.

I've heard that you can even do something as lame as temporarily installing those black plastic trim pieces that are usually used in landscaping front yards (they usually divide mulch areas from grass areas, or whatever) as fender flares for the inspection as a temporary fix for the wheels sticking out. Either way you go, if you're getting the actual recon done, you'll probably have to do something to at least get it up to spec enough to pass the test.

Good luck, dude!
-Radar

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got one done on my truck a few weeks back. All of the stuff in my sig is what I had on it (minus the Safari snorkel... I didn't want to risk that, so I just did it afterwards...). The only thing I had to really *do* was provide a copy of my alignment specs. Nothing else - including the suspension, which is only about 1.5 to 2" of lift - raised any eyebrows.

Do note: they didn't really seem to emphasize the following important items (or I didn't remember them, which is probably more likely):

1) they require $15 for the inspection, check or EXACT change ONLY (no ATM/credit cards)
2) your alignment inspection must have been done within 30 days of the recon inspection. Mine was done last year, but the guy still let it slide, since I hadn't done anything to the suspension since then, but I definitely got the idea he was just being nice in letting it slide.

I've heard that you can even do something as lame as temporarily installing those black plastic trim pieces that are usually used in landscaping front yards (they usually divide mulch areas from grass areas, or whatever) as fender flares for the inspection as a temporary fix for the wheels sticking out. Either way you go, if you're getting the actual recon done, you'll probably have to do something to at least get it up to spec enough to pass the test.

Good luck, dude!
-Radar
Radar,
did they measure your bumper from the ground up? or did they just look at what you had on?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopefully will try to get mine in December.:( thats the only month I will have time to get it.:( Too busy at work....:eek:

·
Registered
444 Posts
supah ferry to another island for safety check :D

seriously though, every time i go up to o'ahu, i see quite a lot of very modified trucks and some cool looking cars. not sure how all of'um get safety checks though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
They just looked at it. Mine's not remarkably different from stock height, so it's probably pretty obvious that it's within limits.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Our trucks can go really high. I don't think you can get it up in the air high enough with the IFS. I can lift my truck a lot higher and still be legal on the height.

I have about 7-8" of lift. (Fabtech 6" cranked up.)

Just use the cheap garden liners and make some extensions for you fenders. Then get your Recon.

I still need to update mine.
But this is what my truck looks like.

My tire barely stick out so I don't get a second look from the police.

I'm running 35x12.5x17" BFG KM2's on 17x9" centerline rims.

My wife didn't even notice that I lifted it higher for a few weeks.

Proportionally it looks "Almost" the same as when I had my 3" lift on, just bigger.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts