TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might need some help to recover a buddies cherokee that he drove off the road while we were up killing pumpkins today. The recovery itself shouldn't be too super difficult, but we don't have the right equipment. It needs to be pulled up on to the road from the side of the vehicle (I think, I'm no recovery expert), and there are no convenient anchors on the uphill side. If someone has a deadman (or a used boat anchor:rolleyes:) and a winch with snatch block, I think that could do the trick. The nearest 90 degree tree is like 150 ft uphill, and the other even remotely close ones are too much of an angle.

We're located just outside of Idaho Springs, the vehicle is only about 10min away from there. Right now we're looking at rebar for anchorage and a cum-a-long. Free beer for anyone who can help make this happen a little easier.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
When are you going to try?

I would rather anchor several vehicles together than try the buried rebar trick. Worst case, the vehicles will slide slowly allowing you to observe and correct the situation, where the rebar could get pulled out and suddenly you have a disastrous situation.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ASAP, but I think we'll try tomorrow and then have a few more people available Fri. But as far as I know none of us have a winch.

I'd rather run 180 ft of line between the closest tree, or use multiple snatch blocks, than use rebar and a cum along. I was just illustrating our complete lack of appropriate gear (or in this case, driving ability). And having multiple vehicles as an anchor is a great idea. Not that in this situation there would be a whole lot of correcting available. I'll try to post a few pics up here soon. You can all laugh- I did.

·
20,355 Posts
I am not free until saturday, after noon but if you still need help then i am in.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went up today with a few cumalongs and chain. Can't get a gopod angle on it though, think we'll need a winch. My buddy has a couple of friends who may be available tonight to help him out. If they aren't available or can't get it out, we'll try again tomorrow noonish. The ice where its at is kind of a pain to get around on, so a little melt will help. In the meantime, enjoy the pics

Looking up hill

looking over the hood at the gully he'll fall into if it decides to go the rest of the way off.

This tree is about all that's holding him up, and it's dead.

Rear passenger wheel.

Nearest good anchor was a ways up hill. unfortunately its still a bad angle, the cum along didn't want to pull it up that way.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right. If we can anchor that front and winch him backwards, we won't have to risk the front axle/ pass wheelcoming off. And yeah, I heard it was going to start snowing Sunday. Fortunately, this isn't Bill moore, its pretty close to town and doesn't hold deep snow that long. But its gated and they close the gate soon. Hopefully its not there that long though. It's my buddies GF's truck, and she isn't very happy right now.:wife:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I think you're right. If we can anchor that front and winch him backwards, we won't have to risk the front axle/ pass wheelcoming off. And yeah, I heard it was going to start snowing Sunday. Fortunately, this isn't Bill moore, its pretty close to town and doesn't hold deep snow that long. But its gated and they close the gate soon. Hopefully its not there that long though. It's my buddies GF's truck, and she isn't very happy right now.:wife:
Tell her we'll get it out :)

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
LOL

Looks almost identical to a situation we came across on Rollins Pass Sunday. Only this jeep is white, not red :lmao:

·
7,735 Posts
I've seen that situation a couple times. Too bad I'm up to my eyeballs in work else I'd offer to come down and lend a winch, but I don't think I'll have any time away from the keyboard till about sunday evening.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Oh - that's not NEARLY as bad as I thought from your first post!

I definitely think back will work, either with a strap (attached to passenger side of Jeep, driver's side of recovering vehicle). If you could wrap that chain around another tree more behind the rig, it would help limit the potential for sideways action.

Throwing some salt on that ice would be a good idea IMHO.

I can be up there Saturday morning if you need it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah troy, it's more just a matter of lacking proper equipment for the job. He was originally only front wheel off, but the strap from my driver front to his truck just sent his rear wheel to where it is now. Of course I was behind him; doing that on the downhill side could work better.

I threw a bunch of dirt on the ice today while we were up there today, it made it a lot easier.

You can't really see it, but we did have another chain from the back of the jeep off to a tree on the side back, but for some reason it just didn't want to move.

At least we're not this guy

So we're supposed to meet up there at 3pm tomorrow with somebody else who can't be there til then because of work. If anyone else can help (troy or eric?), either earlier or about then (say meet in IS at 2:40 or so) that would be great.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Troy has to work tomorrow. If anything, Daisy-chain rigs to be a secure anchor point to tug with.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I realize this isn't the BEST suggestion. As it's off trail, etc. etc.

What about pulling/backing a truck up the hill about 10ft and snatch blocking off a shackle to one end of the jeep at a time (front corner, then rear corner) and doing it that way? ---- this would be worst case, everything else failed, scenario ----

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought about that. Can't get my truck up the hill though. Maybe someone else's, but... And us hiking up to attach straps and such to trees is doing more damage to the slope than a truck would, because its steep enough we keep slipping so I think the off trail argument is not so valid here. But yeah, I'd a liked to have done that. Just didn't see any feasible, or safe, way. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm always open to ideas, esp from people who have more recovery experience than me, which is pretty much just about everybody here I'm sure. And we have enough line to hook a snatch block to a tree, just no snatch block. I have some stuff on my wish list that is going to be bought ASAP, too bad I couldn't get it this summer.

Anyways, my buddies friend who I haven't met and who hasn't seen the truck says he's POSITIVE he can get it out tomorrow. So I'm definitely in to watch and either learn or laugh. If he shows, as he didn't make it today. Apparently he has a lot of recovery stuff though (works for a 4x4 shop I think?) so we'll see how that goes. I just think it'd be nice to have a guaranteed winch on hand.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I just hope the snow doesn't complicate things.... :(

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I can help today, but 3pm is too late. I have guests arriving at my house at 5:30pm. Let me know if you can go earlier and ave at least two other capable rigs with competent people that can help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts