TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I went hill climbing yesterday and he slid off the side of the hill. Well, I could only pull him out in reverse because the trail was so narrow and I couldn't get turned around. I had to snatch pretty hard a couple of times to get him out of some deep ruts. Is this bad on my tranny? Would you recommend pulling him out forwards next time or does it matter?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I have been told you actually have more tork while pulling in reverse. (not sure how accurate that is…but I have been told that)

The most important issue to consider when extracting another vehicle is you want to be as lined up (straight on) with the stuck vehicle. Try not to pull laterally against your frame.

I always try to pull using my forward gears, but I have also extracted vehicles while in reverse. My tranny is still strong. I have never had any ill behavior out of it and it is a '97

Oh! another thing, try not to have to "jerk" on the other vehicle the smoother you can pull the better your truck will like it. But again…there have been times where I dumped the clutch and gave it a flogging with the skinny pedel.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
91Bravo said:
My friend and I went hill climbing yesterday and he slid off the side of the hill. Well, I could only pull him out in reverse because the trail was so narrow and I couldn't get turned around. I had to snatch pretty hard a couple of times to get him out of some deep ruts. Is this bad on my tranny? Would you recommend pulling him out forwards next time or does it matter?
Thanks.
Yes, the transmission is inherently weaker in reverse gear. I've personally broke 2 reverse gears in my transmission, once in a recovery situation. It is always recommended to attempt a recovery by driving forward.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
thanks for clerifying for me! I never trusted the myth of more tork in reverse, but I could never be given a solid answer.

I respect your answer more than the "hear sey" I was given.

To the O.P: Show stop knows his stuff, try to pull in forward gears when at all possible.

·
Registered
597 Posts
x2 on the reverse gear being weaker

EDIT: Actually I can't say that for fact on the '05 and newer models but for sure on the 95.5-04 models. I would think it would be true for the newer models also.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
10-4!

I figured out what I was told by reading another current thread. It is not that reverse is a stronger gear, but what I referred to is that reverse is a lower ratio. thus more tork.

On either account, I stand corrected. I appreciate the clerifactions.

·
Registered
779 Posts
...exactly what bear and shostop have said.. the reverse gear on most trucks IS lower ratio, however it is weaker..be careful since the ratio is lower, you may be tempted to use it... they break much easier when recovering another vehicle than recovering one in a forward gear...

·
Registered
247 Posts
ShowStop said:
Yes, the transmission is inherently weaker in reverse gear. I've personally broke 2 reverse gears in my transmission, once in a recovery situation. It is always recommended to attempt a recovery by driving forward.
I've never heard of someone breaking a reverse gear. I've pulled alot of people out in reverse with trucks i've had over the years, and my friends have too without a problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll remember this next time I have to pull someone out. My friend has a VW baja bug, but he slid off into some deep ass ruts made by 44" tires. I tried just tensioning before pulling, but my tires just spun. That's why it took a couple of "snatches" with about 2 or 3 feet of slack in the strap. I didn't yank too hard I don't think! Thanks everyone for all of your helpful info!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
plus pulling out in forward gear results in better weight distribution and traction on your rear axles. same reason why it's harder to back up a hill than forward.

·
Registered
186 Posts
On the V6 manual transmition, reverse is not a lower ration then 1st. Look it up in the manual, first is 4-something:1 and revers is 3-something:1.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My reverse gear seems like it is geared lower than my first gear. I could be wrong though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts