TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fabbing up some recovery points as we speak. I can't decide if I should weld them or bolt them to the frame. I have some 1in machine steel to hold the 3/4 inch shacles welded to a 3/8 plate measuring 2x7.5 inches. I've drilled holes in the plate to use the existing holes from the stock tie downs infront of the hanger and one more behind the hanger. I was going to use a large grade 8 bolt through the frame behind the hanger. Do you think this will work or should I weld the whole thing to the frame and ditch the bolts? If I weld it, I would flip the longer part of the plate to the rear. Its not done in the pictures, the bolts are only hand tight and I haven't drilled the rear hole yet.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n241/Goldtaco/PICT0013.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n241/Goldtaco/PICT0012.jpg

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Given the choice, I'd probably bolt it on. But, one thing to keep in mind, the open c-channel rear part of the frame can easily bend, so boxing it near where you attach those to the frame would be a good idea.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, thats the front of the truck. I didn't specify

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone want to give me their opinion?

·
Registered
490 Posts
be safe....do both.welds break just as bolts do.my winch bumper is welded to the frame plus 6 grade 8's

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
What prep do you do to the truck before you weld? ie disconnect battery and the Brain?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd just bolt it. You'd be fine.

If you must weld it, do it right and take special care to clean, prep, and repaint the entire area to slow down the rust that's gonna start. Use several coats.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bolt w/ grade 8. Bolts should, I say should break before your truck does. But whatever your pulling/pulling you probably will break before they do.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Do both.

Bolt w/ grade 8. Bolts should, I say should break before your truck does.
Not normally actually. You're more likely to rip the nuts out of the frame, or at least bend the shit out of it before 3 grade 8 bolts that size will break.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do both.

Not normally actually. You're more likely to rip the nuts out of the frame, or at least bend the shit out of it before 3 grade 8 bolts that size will break.
Well, I agree, but It depends on size of bolts yes. I must have missed where he said 3 bolts that are apparently rather large. Thats why you go with something that can "safety" break when stressed too much.
Overall if your going for "never breaking, yes, First strengthen frame and location points, than I would still bolt incase the recovery points actually break and than you can change or remove them later

1 - 13 of 13 Posts