TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I lent my procomp 2"X30" to a buddy who trashed it, so now I am looking to buy a new one. 4wheel parts has them cheap, but I have heard they are substituting other ones instead. I went to a local store and saw the keeper straps but they are expensive and looke quite cheesy as compared to my old strap. Has anyone ever heard of erickson tow straps?

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/category/recovery_straps/

If the pro comps are scarce, I dont want to risk getting either aniferior strap ar waiting to long. I need one by the end of the month. I won a 4" proc comp strap but it wont fit into my receiver.
 

·
Tacoma-dana 44
Joined
·
383 Posts
When you say the 4" strap won't fit. Are you stuffing the strap loop into the receiver tube and using the pin to hold it?

If so, I recommend the Warn receiver shackle bracket:

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml

Even though my Stout bumper had clevis' on it, I still keep the bracket because I can use it on other vehicles I'm pulling out, or that are pulling me out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
924 Posts
I have a ProComp 3x30 and a couple of Keeper 2x20's. The Keeper ones are not as fancy, but perfectly serviceable, and were fairly cheap at regular auto-parts stores. If you need one quick, and also want a fancy one, then buy what you can now and shop around for a second one later. The 2x20's are very packable and can always be used as a secondary or backup strap.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
how do you trash a strap?ive abused my cheapie and it still pulls alright.
 

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
Joined
·
208 Posts

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
joeylead said:
Well, I lent my procomp 2"X30" to a buddy who trashed it, so now I am looking to buy a new one. 4wheel parts has them cheap, but I have heard they are substituting other ones instead. I went to a local store and saw the keeper straps but they are expensive and looke quite cheesy as compared to my old strap. Has anyone ever heard of erickson tow straps?

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/category/recovery_straps/

If the pro comps are scarce, I dont want to risk getting either aniferior strap ar waiting to long. I need one by the end of the month. I won a 4" proc comp strap but it wont fit into my receiver.
Barb at TRDParts4U has one 3"x30' ProComp Strap you can get for $23 + shipping...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
www.westernsling.com

buy one from a company like this made to your specs..double ply at 20 ft was the same price as the lowest price i've seen for single ply 20ft straps sold at 4x4 shops...

I also bought D rings for less than 1/3 the price Warn and other shops sell them for
snatch block are cheaper as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KRYPTO(dale) said:
how do you trash a strap?ive abused my cheapie and it still pulls alright.

My buddies used it to tow a car out of the woods. When i gave it to them it was sine. Now the webbing and ends are all torn, you can even see the inner layer in some spots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for al of the suggestions, I will be getting one real soon. What do you all think of doing this:

using a hitch w/o the ball and a d-ring to attatch the strap. I have some big d-rings I just got and then I could use my 4" strap. I figure I would put the round edge through the hole in the hitch and the strap would be against the pin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
valkyrie said:
Rick, I don't know- you need to email Barb at [email protected]
Already did, think I’m going to get it on mon ;)
Is this one of the straps that stretches to provide more pulling power? Still sounds better than my harbor freight one I have now
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
Ricks72 said:
Already did, think I’m going to get it on mon ;)
Is this one of the straps that stretches to provide more pulling power? Still sounds better than my harbor freight one I have now
Well.. it does stretch, but only momentarily. The are actualy designed to snatch (expnd some then contract, in effect multiplying your pulling power) more so than tow, although I'm sure most everyone here has done that before. Slow, steady dead weight pulling is less hard on it than snatching...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
joeylead said:
Thanks for al of the suggestions, I will be getting one real soon. What do you all think of doing this:

using a hitch w/o the ball and a d-ring to attatch the strap. I have some big d-rings I just got and then I could use my 4" strap. I figure I would put the round edge through the hole in the hitch and the strap would be against the pin.
Just go to the hardware and but a nice big clevis! Stick that thing through your ball-less "stinger?" and viola, tow point. Clevis's are so damn handy especially at the farm I work on, gotta love farm work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Ricks72 said:
Is this one of the straps that stretches to provide more pulling power? Still sounds better than my harbor freight one I have now
You'll want the Keeper Stretch-n-Snatch Strap - they are awesome!!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-370/c-10101

These stretchable straps don't necessarily give you more power (in the strap) but if you're pulling out a stump..... You can *get a run at it* and yank the strap - it stretches - and the force is tranferred into yanking at the stump. We've used ours many times for yanking stumps in this exact way and it works GREAT!! Same for pulling out BIG HEAVY vehicles out of mud. We yanked a full size Dodge Ram on 37" tires out of a deep mud hole (hydrolocked) without any assistance.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top