TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I bought this truck in Feb after a long search for an 85 ext cab.

The truck was in pretty awesome shape for being 25 years old. It had some goodies on it as well R151 tranny, Marlin 4.7's in a single 23spl case, AP TC skid, Marlin Rear bumper and a pretty fresh rebuild on the 22RE (about 15K) 3" springs in the front, an AAL in the rear and a good set of 33/10.5/15 BFG KM's on FJ 60 wheels

I started collecting parts which include all the necessary upgrades over the next few months:

Longs, Long Chromo hub gears, Long knuckle ball wipers, Knuckle rebuild kit, TG knuckle ball gussets, IFS box mount, TG shock hoops, Marlin Histeer, Marlin Wheel Spacers, Marlin Front winch bumper, Marlin front hanger, Marlin u-bolt flip kits, Marlin front axle truss, Marlin extended brake lines, FROR bumper stiffener, Warn M8000, 4" font leaf pack, Sky 63" hanger kit, Sky diff guards, Sky rear shock hoop, a set of 63's, HP front 3rd, 5.29's F/R, Detroits F/R, IFS steering box from an 86 PU, V6 IFS rear axle

The first thing I wanted to accomplish was to get rid of some sheisty under hood wiring, cruise control crap, crappy offroad lights, and a non working security system. I also suspected a vac leak somewhere as well and the truck didnt idle well and had an intermitent starting problem. I also gave it a good degreasing as well while I was under there. Found a great deal on a refurb Odyssey PC 1500 and threw that in as well. I still need to get to regasketting the oil pan sooner or later.

I got some new intake parts from the throttle body all the way to the airbox as well from the stealership since the couplings were dry rotted pretty badly. Also picked up a new dipstick as well to replace the tired old one.

All the crap I removed. Suprisingly it started after I removed all this stuff :)

Found a set of 35's for a reasonable price :)

Marlin bumper on

Got a friend ot help me out on the donor front axle

With work being hectic as of late I was reffered to a guy to help me out setting up the 63's and changing out the front hanger and strectching the wheelbase a little bit

Front axle out

Push pull steering...Gone

Mocking up the rear

Rear shot

Front cleaned up

The front stretch

Full side view as it sits now

Should be getting to flexing it out this week for the correct length shocks and bump stop placement. Shock hoops and IFS box mounting to follow after that. Trying to have it wheelable my the end of Oct for an ICBM sshakedown.

It is coming together nicely so far......

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Things have been progressing slowly...

Got the oilpan dropped, painted, and re installed last week

New paint job is kinda shitty

The toyota gasket maker is messy but cures really fast.

Started the test fit of my HiSteer as well

I got my new headlights installed last week as well

Planning on setting up my MC like this. Thanks TRoss for all the help.

Got the parts in as well this past week. That is the first project for this week.

I also started cleaning up my donor spindles and knuckles in the parts washer. This is on the agenda for this week as well.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Got an update from Dale and Ray last night

Flexed out the front end to measure for bump stop placement

The 14" Bilsteins I got should work well up front.
The 12" Billsteins should be in this week so we can get the rear finished up.

Also changed out the front shackles to some OEM T-100 ones that were a tad shorter than the ones I had on. Thanks Ray

The front hanger and bumper stiffener will be welded in today completely.

Front axle should be well on its way today. The diff opening needs a little clearancing with a grinder/burr to get the diff in all the way.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is the latest progress:

Sky's rear hoop for top mounting points. Lower mounting tabs on middle rear of housing.

New Pacesetter LT header

Hanger pad

IFS box wainting to get stabbed in.

Front hanger fully welded in. Fabbing new front body mounts now.

Rear hoop and 12" Bilsteins

Exhaust needs to be clearanced so it wont rub on the DS shock.

A little good news. found the possible reason that the AC system wont hold refrigerant. Should be an easy fix :) Loose lines cant hold refrigerant

Its getting there though

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well the red truck is rolling on all fours.

Pretty damn close to being done now.

Front axle in:

Fender wells trimmed, shock hoops tacked into place

IFS box mounted

Rolling

Only major thing left is to trim the rear fenders, and install the rear axle bearings, seals

Couple little things to get finished up. Adding diff oil, rerouting steering pump lines, e-brake, re install grille and bumpers, winch, header install, exhaust......

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got some updates yesterday.

The steering fluid res. bracket was fabbed to move the resi back about an inch due to the shock hoop and fender trimming. Should be trimming a little more of the inner fender for a little better access to the steering box

Brake lines are all hooked up and charged with fluid. Steering lines are hooked up to steering box.

Looks like the coil can be mounted back pretty close to the OEM position with a little massaging of the bracket to clear the DS shock hoop.

I think we got it figured out how the air box is going back on as well. Just having to work around the little things.

Hood louvres might be on today. I think JR and Myself found the right placement on the hood

Here are the pics of the shackle angles

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the shocks stabbed in last night. You can also see the trim job on the dust cover that I kept to hold the brake line.

The coil, resi, and airbox are bolted down

The old exhaust header is loose and the new header will be installed today after the EGR ports are plugged

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are a couple pics from the end of last week

Grille painted with an emblem from an 86 runner

Holes in the hood for the Race Ace Louvres

Bumper mounting tabs modded on the Marlin bumper:

Front end cleaned up and painted:

New drivers side body mount:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hood waiting to be reinstalled on truck:

Couple shots of the front with the bumper on:

Guacamole Green steering stabilizer:

Here is the added piece of 3/8 line for the IFS box:

Managed to get the header in last night as well. There was a heat shield keeping it from sliding into place. JR got that pulled off and we got the header in finger tight for now.

O2 sensor in:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Got a couple of the finishing touches done yesterday:

Installed the pass side hub assembly

Clearanced the header with a hammer and got it reinstalled and torqued down

Most importantly, we rolled old red out to see some sunshine and flexed him out to measure for bump stops.

Back in the shop:

Gonna try and start him up today. Need to charge the battery up a little, he's been sitting a while.

Bumps should be on, reinstall the hood, check a couple other misc. things and maybe I get to run him the the muffler shop today. :cool:

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got Ol Red started up on Friday. He sounds pretty rough with just a header and I could only sit in the truck running a little while before the fumes just about killed me. It was good hearing it start though. The Odyssey Battery didnt even need to be put on the charger:)

I got the hood put back on with a little help:

Also got started on getting the bumpstops tacked into place.

Need to get the exhaust done this week sometime

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I got to drive yesterday for the first time in months.

The suspension/gearing feels great and steering with the IFS box is awesome.

Took the truck to the local exhaust shop:

Got the grille put back on, shimmed up the bed a little and

slammed my thumb

Oh well it was a good day

I do have a little leak on the exhaust manifold which probably will require a helicoil in on of the bolt holes but thats not too bad

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I picked up my truck on sat and got a couple things done to prepare for his shakedown run in Gilmer this weekend

- Got the new long spline Driveshaft reinstalled (officially 4wd now)
- installed the TG Rock Rings
- got the rear liscense plate attached and the light working
- installed the Warn Hawse fairlead

Most Importantly

-Got that damn leak at the header fixed using the new toyota exhaust gasket and the old one with the heat shield trimmed off and a generous amount of Permatex Copper RTV...I know its redneck but it worked

I need to grease the new driveshaft and drivetrain and change the diff oil after the break in mileage is obtained

Ill get some pics up tomorrow.... The weather was shitty today in Houston

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Winch and fairlead mounted up

Rock rings

Front Long Spline Driveshaft

Flowmaster 40

Liscense plate mounted up in rear

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
First shakedown

Well I got to wheel a little on Jan 13th for the TX Lonestar Jamboree at Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer TX. It was my firts time to the OHV park and the maiden voyage of my 85.

The truck did great considering i have wheeled IFS rigs my whole life.

Did have one issue though :)

At least they have warranty:) No more trying to catch 1st and 2nd gear w/ the 4.7's and a lot of skinny peadal. Lesson learned :eek:

Got it changed out:

Got back to wheeling:

Watched my friend Alex lose a wheel infront of a crowd :)

And just overall had a blast besides the weather being total shit

The rest of my pics are here

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/boomtacoma01/Jambo 2011/?start=all

There are a couple things I need to address after this trip:

-need new windshield wipers
-need to reseal the windshield
-get my winch working
-cut down my front driveshaft on the axle side to reduce bottoming out on compression
-get the fuel gauge working and a find a larger fuel tank

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I bit the bullet and bought a house. The best this is that I will have a 2 1/2 car garage to finish up all my little projects in. Just gotta start moving tools up from my parents over the next month or so.

After wheeling at Gilmer, these mods are at the top of my list:

I need a hand throttle - found one on Quadratec
My brakes are shit - going to upgrade to the FJ60 vented rotors and IFS calipers
Still need to chop down my front DS a little. This week hopefully

Need to finish installing all the other crap that hasnt got on the truck yet or is incomplete including:

-install my grant steering wheel done
-fix my horn since it doesnt work done
-extend both axle breathers done
-get some juice to my winch so its actually usable
-install my rock lights
-need new windshield wipers
-need to reseal the windshield
-cut down my front driveshaft on the axle side to reduce bottoming out on compression
-get the fuel gauge working and a find a larger fuel tank

After all of that I will concentrate on getting my duals set up with a bunch of Marlin Crawler goodies:

MC07-R10 rotated dual adapter
Twin or Triple sticks
30 spline chromoly front output shaft upgrade
30 spline chromoly rear output shaft upgrade

Spent most of the past weekend getting the garage organized and parts/tools sorted with a little yard work in the mix as well. Got my warranteed G2 gears in from Davez Offroad on Thurs along with a new bearing retainer and front output shaft for my extra Top Shift TC. Also need to pick up a Trickle Charger from a wheeling buddy tomorrow as well (for free I might add) to temporarily fix my charging prob till I get that figured out. Going to take my gears to get set up tomorrow and pull the Red truck in the garage for the first time. Cant wait. Going to have tons of room to tear shit up.

You dont realize how muck crap you really have on hand until you actually organize it :) I need to unpack a few more boxes and then Im good to go.

Got the truck into the garage yesterday. It fits nicely.

My stash of parts:

Started ripping out the interior: seats carpet, shifter boots etc.... Found a little rust but not too much.

I also started investigating my weird steering issue. The tie rod had backed off and was finger tight. Kinda scary. Also found a loose ground which could be contributing to my battery discharge prob. Removed my head unit to clean up the wiring a little and possible change it out. Will address those tonight...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got a few things accomplished and started as of late (when I havent been doing Yard Work)

I ripped out all the carpet and seats and began to assess the interior of the truck plus its easier to work on all the wiring and other crap I need to do.

Got a free pair of Boston 6x9's to put in the rear of the truck, from a co-worker that just relocated, and put them in some generic 6x9 MDF boxes so I can have a little more tunage on the road/trail.

Got a set of E350 Van horns wired up through a 30 amp relay so I acually have a horn a very loud one to say the least. It was pretty straight forward to get hooked up. The Ford horns ground through the mounting bolt unlike the Toyotas so the relay was needed. I like having a horn now :)

Got my front and rear diff breather extensions done as well.

Started fabbing up a shifter cover to temporarily cover the tranny and TC shifters. Started with some cardboard and then transfered it to some sheet metal. Just need to cut it out and bolt it down.

Also started cleaning up my extra TC with the Marlin 4.7's in it. Got a used front output shaft and and bearing retainer from Davez offroad for 20 bucks and they sent it along with my warranteed gears. The gears are getting reinstalled in my V6 third that I grenaded at Gilmer.

Baby steps.....

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here are a couple pics:

Interior stripped out:

Horn set up:

Relay by front headlight

Dont mind the misc. wiring. I will have it all cleaned up

Grant steering wheel:

BTW if you have the ground and hot wire switched on the horn button, the horns will scare the shit out of you when power is added :)

Here was the Janky power wire that goes from the battery to the main fuse box. I replaced it with some 4 ga power wire I had laying around.

I also started on Installing my RogerBrown light wiring harness but didnt get it finished up.

Frond and rear diff breathers are done. Front routed to the firewall and the rear mounted by the gas cap under the fuel door.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a little work done. I removed the tranny and TC shifters to get my sheetmetal shifter cover kinda fitted up: Its only temporary till I get going on my duals and have to mod it down the line. Still need to trim out the shifter openings.

While that stuff was out, i started fitting up some free, green carpet. Dont know if Im gonna stick with it or not.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I got my shifter cover mocked up and the holes drilled out last night. It will use the OEM screw holes to attach it to the transmission tunnel. I still need to cut the holes out of the shifter boots when I bring a jigsaw home from work.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts