TTORA Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Finally installed my 1 ton MC. I ended up replacing the rear OEM brake line with a -3 SS line to remedy the leaking one.
Added some fluid and got them initially bled. I just have to tuck all the lines away. Then on to a test drive.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Started mocking up my sliders tonight. I found them online from a shop called Slag Factory. They are 67" long with a kickout. The main tube is 2x3 with 1.75 outers and 2x2 legs. Scab plates and gussets were also included. They seem to be built well. I'm leaving the 2x3 tubes out a bit in order to be able to tie some tube into. Time to bust out the chop saw tomorrow to get the other legs cut and burned in.

Scab plate and gusset

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
After running out of wire and gas for the welder I finally got my sliders burned in.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I've been working on a few things over the past week.

Addressed my pass side spring perch and got it all torqued down. I had to trim the inner 5/8 bolts to fit correctly to keep the spring plate on evenly.

I painted the front calipers, high steer arms, and steering linkage. I should have painted all this before in installed it the first time.

Just waiting on the paint to dry. Should be back in this week.

I installed a new fuel pump mount on the back of the cab just slightly lower than the fuel cell.

Finished up my anti wrap bar

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I've been out of town since getting back from K2. It is truly an awesome park to wheel and is definitely hard on your rig. I think once the tire break in they will be awesome. Issues that I found: I need to clearance both front fenders, cut off about 2 inches of slider in the front and rework my winch situation. My tires eat into the sliders and fenders when stuffed and my approach angle is horrible.
On to the pics..

King of the Hill

https://youtu.be/7Z_p4CR1XMQ

My tires hit the leaves a little.

Daniel losing his idler and steering pump pulleys on Smoking butthole.

Alex on Crazy Wabbit

Ron doing his thing on Dolphin

Guy named Rob with a sweet fj55 buggy and a hot 5.0 under the hood

Ryan's Twisted Customs buggy on Kiss My Grits

Ron on Hanibal Lecter

Exit on King of the Hill

Weather was perfect for wheeling.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I have been putting in a bit of work.

I cut the outer rail and Kickouts off of my sliders. They stuck out way too far and were more of a hindrance than a blessing on my past few trips. I will refit the Kickouts to reweld to the rear of the sliders. I also trimmed another 2 inches off of the front of each slider. The 40's kept digging into them at full stuff and on hard turns.

I stripped down the interior of the truck in preparation for the Auto Swap.

I have pulled the Duals and am in the process of pulling the transmission. I have them sold and should have enough to drop on an Atlas II 4.3. I removed the clutch peddle, slave cylinder reservoir, hard line and starter.

I found an A340F at a local yard for a decent deal of $300. I ordered the Advanced Adapter 50-5710 adapter to fit the A340 to the Atlas. I also replaced the 3 solenoids in the Transmisson Valve Body.

I also ordered some miscellaneous brackets and tabs to make the transmission cross member. Dave @ Brave Motorsports is going to Fab up one of his tail housing supports for the Atlas.

Since my truck was a manual and will be keeping the stock wiring harness, I went with the RADesigns Baja Shifter to manually control the transmission and the Rock shifter for the trans gear selection. Iwill have to fab a mount for the 2 shifters and adjust my transmission tunnel cover accordingly.

I will be adding an external TransCooler (Derale 13950) and ordered all of the -6 fittings and hose to plumb it in.

Parts buying should just about be done besides ordering the Atlas..

A340 with the R series bellhousing

Swapped out the solenoids

Trimmed down the sliders

Cab cleaned out

Down to 2 peddles jamminzz half way there

Ready to drop the transmission.

I finished up my re-worked front winch mount. Its tucked in almost 7 inches further than the previous version. The tube is 1.75 DOM .188 WT. I used a piece of 4" channel iron for the winch base instead of the 2" square tubing like i originally planned. I had to use 4 socket head grade 8 bolts instead of the regular ones due to space constraints. I capped off the Sky's Off Road lettering with a piece of 3/16" x 1.5" flat bar. Never Liked that on there anyways. I also trimmed the front grille to fit around the winch. I still need to fab up a mount for my steering cooler and run the wiring for the winch but other than that it's done.

I also finish welded the kick outs on my sliders, capped off the front where I trimmed them back and finally got my transmission pulled.

I never was really happy with the leaf springs in the front so I did away with them.

I have been working on stripping down the front end in preparation for the 3 link. The D60 is sitting on jack stands waiting for the old brackets to be cut off. The Plasma list is pretty long...

The transmission is ready to install minus one shift linkage bracket that I incorrectly ordered. That should go on quickly once I receive it. The Flexplate and dust cover are installed and torqued down. I still need to get some Dex 3 fluid before I install it. Trans cross member is mocked up and needs to be cut to fit and welded up.

3 Link parts:

a TG orbital and mount
a PSC XR 2.5 DE ram, clamps and clevis kit
Artec and Barnes link brackets
Artec adjustable upper axle link
Ruff Stuff panhard brackets and heims
Rockwell Offroad 1.25" Heims

24' of 2" 25 WT DOM for the links

I just need a few more hoses and to figure out where to mount the ram.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
A little more progress.
Cleaned up the frame and body mount. I'm running the upper link frame mount here.

Orbital mount finished up.

Atlas mocked up on the A340F.

Initially fit into place

Big hole in the floor. I have to relocate the fuel return lines here. I also need to figure out some sort of skid plate for the transmission pan. A little too exposed for my liking.

Frame mount upper link bracket with panhard mount tied in.

I cut a new plate for my transmission tunnel cover and got my shifters mocked up.

Since my radio fried at Hot Springs during the monsoon, I decided to make the radio area a spot for some switches. They will control various lights, the trans cooler and some other things. The trans temp gauge may go in there as well since I have the room. I need a few more rocker switches to finish it up. The plate is a piece of stainless sheet metal that I had laying around and I have about 10 bucks in switches invested.

A little more progress...

Blue Torch Fab full hydro mount and PSC XR 2.5x8 DE Ram

Mocked up

PVC mock up links in place on the Driver side. Ended up with a 32 in uper and 39" lower.

Threw a tire on to see what it is going to look like. Tire is 5 inches off the ground in the picture.

I started on my transmission X-member and skid plate. Its has been a challenge to say the least. I have to work round the exhaust and driveshaft and a few other things. I almost have a complete flat belly right now. The Atlas is hanging down about 1.5-2 inches below the frame. It will be mounted with 6 bushings to the frame rail. I should have it mostly done tomorrow hopefully.

Then, I need to drop the trans and TC to get them bolted together completely and install the Torque Converter and reinstall.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I finally got the A340F and Atlas II together and sealed up. I burned in the cross-member mounts and skinned the transmission/ transfer case skid with a piece of AR500 plate.

I will be adding another cross member for a tail support for the Atlas.

I ordered some more parts from Barnes4WD to finish up some small things and will be fabbing up a cover for that gaping hole in the floor.

I should be ordering up my Fox 14"coilovers from Ryan at Accutune after KOH.

Then I need to cut out my old shock hoops and refit them on the frame rail.

There is still a lot to do.

I had to do some fitment issues with my hydro mount. I had to trim about 3 inches out of the mount to get my steering linkage at a better angle and buy me some room by the lower radiator hose. I also added 2 more clamp mounts for the ram.

I also got my 2" .25 DOM links and the 1.5" DOM panhard cut. I extended my frame side panhard mount to add some length. Killed my HF Sawzall. Had to order up a quality Milwaukee one to replace it.

I got my transmission and Atlas dropped for final assembly and trimmed the hole a little more. I will have to put my sheet metal skills to work to patch this hole and get my passenger seat mounted.

I fabbed up a cover for my floor pan. Front cover will be removable to access the front driveshaft.

I got my Derale trans cooler mounted.

I got my transmission flexplate and TC bolted up and my starter re-installed.
I need to reinstall my header and muffler, fill the trans and Atlas, plumb the cooler lines to the transmission and proceed with a test fire on the engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Transfer case cover finished with the integrated seat mounts.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/boomtacoma01/media/85 Toyota/22518771-D234-4235-BD48-033E033C9B94_zpsv71qi9vm.jpg.html][/URL]

I found a set of the liquid sounds shallow mount speaker pods with a set of Kicker 6.5" coax speakers.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/boomtacoma01/media/85 Toyota/F18B0092-109E-477A-80B0-9009DBE8B406_zpsxdtzusla.jpg.html][/URL]

Most importantly I started mocking up my Fox 14" coilovers. I had to cut off the shock hoops, move them forward about 2.5" and kick them back about 10 degrees. The lower shock mounts are from Artec and integrate to the lower link mounts. The upper shock hoop mounts are from Wide Open Design.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/boomtacoma01/media/85 Toyota/1E4F517D-DF6B-49A9-A1F0-B230268E5137_zpsofwerr6w.jpg.html][/URL]

I got the front D60 welded out and painted. Both coil over mounts are done. The full hydro is mounted and the lines are plumbed. I finally finished mounting my last tire and torqued it to spec since I was tired of looking at it. I mounted the front grille and welded in the driver side seat mount.

I should have a roller by the end of the week when I get my coil overs back from Brave Motorsports. I'm pretty excited. It has been a long time coming.
Links are done, steering is plumbed and bled, the engine fired up after 8 months on the first crank and the auto seems (fingers crossed) to be working correctly. I'm pretty happy. Kinda overkill with the pics but I'm proud of all of my hard work with some satisfaction that 98% of it was done on my own.

Short test drive completed.

Knocking out the little things.

Vision X Optimus pods

Bed lined out with a Pelican case for tools and and my ARB recovery gear

Interior wiring and shifters completed

Well the test drive went well on Friday. I didn't push it too hard and put about 5 miles on it. The full manual control of the auto is pretty sweet. I even threw the plates on ha ha.

Just a few little things to wrap up over the next few weeks before my trip to Gilmer.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Rear 4 Link and Backhalf

The truck took a trip to the country for the next evolution, a rear 4- link and backhalf..

2" x 0.25 wt DOM for the links, Artec brackets, and Truss, Rockwell Offroad 1.25 Heims, Fox 2.0 16" COs and a custom Backhalf by Nathan @trailtoys

Attachments

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
4 Link continued

Wrapping it up....

Attachments

101 - 111 of 111 Posts