1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Join us for our first ever event
in
Red Rock Canyon

Join us as we explore the treasures hidden along Last Chance Canyon! This area offers everything to the expedition wheeler!

The terrain is suitable for all 4wd vehicles. There are plenty of optional lines to make this run as difficult as you want it to be.

There will be two groups:

Stock/Moderate- You will be traveling up Last Chance Canyon and visiting sites along the way to Bonanza Gulch and Burro Schmidt's Tunnel. Minimum requirements are 4wd, 31" AT/MT tires, skid plates and recovery points.

Difficult/Hard- You will be taking a couple of bypasses off of Last Chance Canyon as well as an optional run through Nightmare Gulch on Sunday morning. Minimum requirements are a moderate lift, 32" AT/MT tires, a locker, skid plates, sliders and recovery points. **Nightmare Gulch has areas where a long wheelbase and wide body could hinder you. There will be squeezes between fallen rocks and narrow, tight turns.**

This is in a remote part of the desert. Please pack accordingly. Bring extra fuel, water and food. Our campsite is on a "first come, first serve" basis. It consists of cabins which are kept up only by the people who choose to stay there.

More information about camping will be added soon. We're in contact with the State Park Peace Officer who patrols Red Rock Canyon and will relay questions as they come up.

CAMPING: Camping is permitted, limited to 14 days. After 14 days, campers must relocate at least 25 miles from previous site.

Help BLM preserve California's fragile deserts. Please park your vehicle and set up camp in previously disturbed sites.

Gathering wood for campfires, when permitted, is limited to dead and down materials. Live vegetation can not be cut.

Practice Leave No Trace Principles:

Plan Ahead and Prepare Camp and Travel on Durable Surfaces. Pack It In Pack It Out. Properly Dispose of What You Can't Pack Out. Leave What You Find. Minimize Use and Impact of Fires

The meet point will be at the trailhead to Last Chance Canyon off of Redrock-Randsburg Road at N35o 21.672', W117o53.943. Due to the extensive travel time, the meet time will be 9:30.

From L.A., O.C.: take the 5N to the 14N then turn right onto Redrock-Randsburg Road.

From the I.E., San Diego: take the 15N to the 395N then turn left onto Garlock Road. Garlock Road becomes Redrock-Randsburg Road. Your last chance for fuel/food is at Kramer Junction(Four Corners)(395/58).

This is a limited engagement! There will only be 2 groups of 10! So, sign up now!

Group 1(Difficult)
1. sparky *Trail Leader*
2. BASEjumper
3. SP!N4L T4P
4. bzag
5. prospectator
6. Tacoeng
7. MotoDave
8. vistataco
9. BrandonH
10. J41
11. Mpleitez

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I'm in.

I don't care which group.

1. Can I bring my trailer?
  2. Would anybody be down for heading up Friday afternoon?
  3. Do you know of anywhere to camp if we did?
  4. What's the LAT/LONG on those cabins?

Group 1(Difficult)
1. sparky *Trail Leader*
2. SAR_Squid79

Group 2(Stock)
1. SAR_Squid79

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in.

I don't care which group.

1. Can I bring my trailer?
  2. Would anybody be down for heading up Friday afternoon?
  3. Do you know of anywhere to camp if we did?
  4. What's the LAT/LONG on those cabins?
Put me down for the hard run. Looking forward to wheeling again. It's been a while.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
What's the LAT/LONG on those cabins?
35.447138,-117.880571

There are a few others along that same road. But this one (sears cabin) is by far the best. These aren't your typical "getaway" cabin. They are pretty rugged, and historical to the area. But best of all...free! Just be sure to leave the place as you found it, if not in better condition to ensure they stay for years to come.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both Pikeman and I took plenty but am not able to get mine onto photobucket yet. I don't have an internet connection at the house. Hopefully I can get access to a computer this weekend. When I do, though, I'll flood this thread with 'em!

·
Registered
506 Posts
He took pics with his phone and I took some pics and video with my camera. I will post a couple pics and then links to the videos.
Nightmare Gulch

Last Chance Canyon

Video of V-notch on Last Chance Canyon

Link to rest of album, of course not enough pictures taken as both of us were Solo and covered a lot of ground. Burro Schmidt Tunnel is just over 1/2 mile long, took 38 years to dig by hand. Very cool as Rivethead said.
http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222/ressoldier/last Chance Canyon and Nightmare Gulch/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

·
Registered
305 Posts
If I go would it be okay if I brought along a buddy that drives a jeep?

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I go would it be okay if I brought along a buddy that drives a jeep?
Because of the limited number of trucks we're able to accommodate, we're only allowing members to sign up initially. If there are vacancies, we can start filling those closer to the date of the event.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds good. I'll be following this thread.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That notch is no joke, man. There's a ledge jetting out on the driver's side that has a pile of window glass on it. You can see me poke my head out to look back and see what it was doing to my quarter panel. Luckily, it just dragged across my fender flare and tagged my bumper. So now my rear flares match! :D Attempt this with lots of patience and a good spotter. It doesn't look that intimidating until you actually get into it. I would imagine the wider the stance, the easier it would be. Oh! And only attempt this if you have good sidewalls. Michael said I was climbing using only my driver's front sidewall near the end.

Bump for Red Rock!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah I started on the notch but was probably an inch or two off the line and was not looking good. We decided to have me back out and go around(so I didnt add to the pile of glass on the one rock).

Sparky- was glad I was able to go for the pre-run. I might have a GoPro soon so that will help also next time you need a pre-run.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am going to have to pull out of this one. I can only afford one big trip this month, which happens to be some two wheel fun out at Los Padres National Forest. But I am still planning on being there, just without the wheels :D

I might have a GoPro soon so that will help also next time you need a pre-run.
Ironic.This just arrived today in the mail today from an old friend of mine.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Common, people! Wheeling isn't just about finding the biggest rocks to put under your truck. It's going out to explore new areas where only your 4WD Toyota can take you. Believe me, when you leave Red Rock Canyon, you'll want to come back to see what else this beautiful place has to offer.

Let's see how many of you are dedicated wheelers who want to experience something different. Take a step out of your comfort zone and allow yourself to learn another part of Southern California's amazing landscape and rich history!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey guys, haven't really posted on here since I moved here from Colorado (2 years ago), but now that my trucks fixed/registered I'm down for this, so count me in for group 1. And as inviting as those cabins looks, I think I may just sleep in my truck.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It'll be nice to have you guys there!

I'll be pitching a tent outside the cabin. Who knows what critters have decided to make their home there.

Jamie, I might come up there late friday night. The easiest route to the cabins is from the 14. It's mostly a smooth dirt road until you get into Bonanza Gulch. Taking Last Chance Canyon Rd. to the cabins would be a bit slow. Even though you'd be covering more ground, you'd still get there faster coming from the 14.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts