TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
know a LC guy thinking of using them- sends his Saginaw in, they rebuild/drill/tap & send back with all hoses ram & hardware for about $450. My question is, I seem to think somebody (DF maybe?) had serious issues with them, but I can't recall. Anybody know these guys or remember who I am thinking of? It was something like 2 or three units were sent back & in the end they sat on it & didn't do squat- blamed it on the customer?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
yeah it was dick who had all the problems, i was going to run one of their rams till i heard all they did was leak. i guess ill tap my box and see if i dont break the damn thing then buy the ram

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Yeah, it was me. There steering box work seems to be OK but their cylinders are garbage. It's not just me either. I got one of the guys to fess up one day on the phone. Take a look at the different cylinders out there and you will see the difference in quality. The WTOR cylinder is a PITA to rebuild too. Just ask anyone who knows about this kind of thing. There are other sources, I have cylinders from WTOR, AGR and PSC. The best build quality is the PSC it's built like a brick shithouse. The AGR is not too shabby but the heim situation on the rod end kinda sucks. I've heard some good things about Rocklogic too but have not seen any of their stuff first hand. You might want to check them out too.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It was about a buck fifty as I recall. I think he has prices on his website. He a real nice guy to talk too so you might want to drop a dime and call him too.

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
valkyrie said:
know a LC guy thinking of using them- sends his Saginaw in, they rebuild/drill/tap & send back with all hoses ram & hardware for about $450. My question is, I seem to think somebody (DF maybe?) had serious issues with them, but I can't recall. Anybody know these guys or remember who I am thinking of? It was something like 2 or three units were sent back & in the end they sat on it & didn't do squat- blamed it on the customer?
Thanks in advance...
Chris, I put together my own kit:

1.5" Bore Ram w/8" of stroke and heims already on both ends - $105 bucks
Hydro hoses w/quick disconnects - $135 bucks
Box tapped at a local shop - $50 bucks
Being able to steer in the rocks in compound 4 low - priceless :D

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
To give you more options

As Dick made reference to, RockLogic has been great to work with so far! I had them rebuild and tap my box for my project and everything was top notch work.

I am having to wait to do the full kit though, I ran out of money for the time being. But they have a special going on right now on their Hydro assist kit.

$200 for ram and hoses. It runs until Xmas, or at least that is what Von from there told me. they only charged me $65 to tap or was it $50? either case it was one or the other for the tapping and the other amount for the rebuild. I don't have my receipt in front of me right now

·
Registered
147 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
Chris, I put together my own kit:

1.5" Bore Ram w/8" of stroke and heims already on both ends - $105 bucks
Hydro hoses w/quick disconnects - $135 bucks
Box tapped at a local shop - $50 bucks
Being able to steer in the rocks in compound 4 low - priceless :D
Now just imagine a 2" ram, booted high flow pump. Then palm 42's into rocks and move the truck sideways. ;)

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
Dick Foster said:
It was about a buck fifty as I recall. I think he has prices on his website. He a real nice guy to talk too so you might want to drop a dime and call him too.
Where can you make a phone call for a dime? :D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
zszac111 said:
yeah it was dick who had all the problems, i was going to run one of their rams till i heard all they did was leak. i guess ill tap my box and see if i dont break the damn thing then buy the ram
It is easy to tap the box! Just don't rebuild it by your self! If you need help or tips e-mail me I can tell you what I did. I followed that online write up but If you have any questions let me know!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
cb77DEMELLO said:
It is easy to tap the box! Just don't rebuild it by your self! If you need help or tips e-mail me I can tell you what I did. I followed that online write up but If you have any questions let me know!
did you open anything up to allow it to flow better or did you just rebuild it? my box has zero play in it and works great, but turning 39.5's out on the rocks isnt fun, i want to be able to one finger it, if that sounded right :D

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That has more to do with the pump and the bore of the ram. The stock Tacoma pump will do OK with a 1.5" bore. I attempted to soup up a Tacoma pump up but found that the HP valve is sweged together so you can't get in there to stiffen up the spring. I did bore out the orfice some. However the larger orfice without the pressure change resulted in some intersting steering. At normal cruise RPMs up all you had to do was think about a lane change and you were over there but when you let the RPMs drop as in turning a corner, the PS went away completely and you had the additional force of the ram to overcome to boot. Nedless to say, it required planning ahead so you could get the clutch in get the revs up. I went back to an unmodified stock pump in very short order. Well that was unmodified with the exception of more fluid capacity in the res. To get one finger with big ass tires would probably take going to another pump and a larger bore cylinder. I don't think the Taco pump has enough capacity avaliable to drive a large cylinder and have a decent steering rate too.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dick Foster said:
That has more to do with the pump and the bore of the ram. The stock Tacoma pump will do OK with a 1.5" bore. I attempted to soup up a Tacoma pump up but found that the HP valve is sweged together so you can't get in there to stiffen up the spring. I did bore out the orfice some. However the larger orfice without the pressure change resulted in some intersting steering. At normal cruise RPMs up all you had to do was think about a lane change and you were over there but when you let the RPMs drop as in turning a corner, the PS went away completely and you had the additional force of the ram to overcome to boot. Nedless to say, it required planning ahead so you could get the clutch in get the revs up. I went back to an unmodified stock pump in very short order. Well that was unmodified with the exception of more fluid capacity in the res. To get one finger with big ass tires would probably take going to another pump and a larger bore cylinder. I don't think the Taco pump has enough capacity avaliable to drive a large cylinder and have a decent steering rate too.
Thanks for the info, its not a must to one finger it out there, but having to grape ape the damn wheel to turn just plain sucks ass. i think i will tap my box tomorrow and attacth the mounts using a ram i have laying around the shop and have quick connect lines made by my hydro shop. maybe ill be able to steer the damn thing next weekend on the trails for once :D

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
If you do do it. I have an little idea for your tie rod attach. It takes a little extra work but it sure beats the hell out of welding the tabs to your tie rod.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dick Foster said:
If you do do it. I have an little idea for your tie rod attach. It takes a little extra work but it sure beats the hell out of welding the tabs to your tie rod.
go ahead and throw it out there, im going to the shop tomorrow to mess around so i can fab it up. my tie rod is 1 1/4" DOM with 3/4" hiem on one side and hard mount on the other if that helps any.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Dick,

Chris's original post was regarding a LC. As you know, pump selection for such a rig is vastly more flexible than for a Taco, so a larger ram could be an option for him if he felt it was needed.

BTW, when was the last time that you used a pay phone....10 cents? :lmao:

Later, John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts