TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '96 3.4L Tacoma. Several months ago I changed all of the fluid in the front diff, transfer case, tranny, and read diff. I added roughly 75% gear oil and 25% Lucas oil stabilizer.

I used to get mpg in the high teens/low twenties. Now I'm in the mid teens. My driveway is sloped and when I push the clutch in it doesn't seem to roll as easily down the driveway. It's also hard to get into first gear when it's cold. Anyone else have these issues?

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Sounds like the Lucas oil stabilizer made your oil thicker. You should just drain it all, and put in some good oil. Redline MT works well in the tranny, just overfill it some from the top.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check your brakes for a sticking caliper/cylinder. Diff/trans oil should not make a noticeable difference in rolling resistance (unless you are WAY out of spec on viscosity). In my experience, switching to syn from dino got me less than 1 mpg gain. As far as cold shifting issues, put a quality synthetic GL-4 in the trans (I like amsoil) and forget about the additives

·
Registered
70 Posts
Additives

Why are you wasting your money on the Lucas. If you use a good quality oil, you should not need any additives. All of those additives are a waste of money in my opinion. I've got almost 250K on my taco and I only use a good quality dino oil and never have had any issues. Stop wasting your money!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
As much as I hate additives, my ex fiance demanded I put that Lucas garbage in her transmission while I was doing routine maintenance on her vehicle, needless to say I was swapping out the Transmission about a month later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drained the lucas mixture from the tranny and decided to get rid of the hodge podge of fluids in my garage. I wound up putting in about 75% semi synthetic 75W-90, 15% 80W-90 conventional and 10% Synchromesh. I left the lucas in the diffs and transfer case.

My last fill up got me 24mpg doing 70mph on the highway. The exact same drive three months ago had me at 16mpg. There's no way this gain can be completely related to trans fluid but I didn't do anything else. I inspected the brakes and they looked fine. Probably won't let this stuff anywhere near my tranny again.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Get the stuff out of everything...

I remember BITOG did a test to show that Lucas foams up the oil when running through gears. What happens is the thicker oil, along with the anti-foaming properties that are not present in the Lucas, makes it aerate the oil. What happens is instead of oil lubricating your gears, oil and small tiny pockets of air "lubricate"

I've never ran the stabilizer and I never will. Snake oil in my opinion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I now am against the additives as well after seeing the oil stabilizer rob my mpg average severely. I recently did an oil change and left it out and saw my mpg's come back to life.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My transmission has almost 400k miles on it, throwout bearing, input shaft bearing, shift forks, and well... pretty much every other bearing in the mother fucker is shot. I replaced my plugs with Trail Gear magnetic drain plugs (great investment) and put in Auto Gold 80/90 with some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Transmission feels MUCH better now. Not saying it would "fix" and old transmission, but I may be able to squeeze some more miles outta this fucked up transmission. I can only hope. I reccomend Lucas Oil products fo sho. :2cents:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I only use a good quality dino oil
Too bad "good" is subjective, for all we know you use penzoil which is crap. I'd know, I used to work for them. ;)

Elaborate, or shut the fuck up laddy. :2cents:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Too bad "good" is subjective, for all we know you use penzoil which is crap. I'd know, I used to work for them. ;)

Actually I use castrol GTX dino. And with over 250K on the motor it looks like this: View attachment 29505

The motor is clean, and does not burn any oil and I have NEVER used additives. As most on this forum will agree, additives=snake oil=waste of money.

Is that enough elaboration???:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
No, but that is enough passive aggressiveness, woman. :lmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts

Was having this discussion with a bud, and I decided to punch it into TTORA to see what others have done.
Clearly I did not expect to come across such idiocy on this forum...
Trailblazin = absolute clown.

Thanks everyone else for their useful input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts