TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this for a while & am pretty close to pulling the trigger. The plan is 4.56 cryo'd R&P, solid pinion spacer, ARB front & rear. I've got spare diffs at a shop waiting for the green. I don't have time for a SAS or making a different rear fit, so I have to make the most of what I've got. It's got to stay streetable so I'll keep the IFS & deal with their limitations/challenge. I play almost exclusively in the rocks & want to push the 4R more than I already have. A 3rd vehicle is not an option, so this is my rig. Front & rear bumpers, full skids(budbuilt or custom) & beefed rear lower links are soon to follow. Just fishing for thoughts, comments, suggestions before I committ. It's some big $$. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, but 4.56 might be a little low for the V8 with 33's... will be good offroad, but you're gonna take a big hit in gas mileage.

I have NEVER seen anyone who regretted doing ARB's, but have seen at least one person regret every other locker choice...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I would love to own a newer runner and do the exact same thing. a buddy of mine has a 2006 4runner lifted with donahue and tc. with 33s and the atrac system and he loves it. And when i first saw it i fell in love:D

Sounds good, deffinently get skids w/ the diffs those lockers will get you into some serious trouble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be bumping to 35's after the mtr's get more worn. I got some calcs from a good source that get the rpm's very close back to stock, considering all the xtra weight/ F/R bumper 300#, skids 120+#, full spare, hilift, tools, spares, recovery gear etc, etc. It appears to be the best option, plus it's my only option at this point in time. There's not a lot of after market stuff available for the 4th gen. The "Soccer mom cars can't wheel" story.

The atrac is priceless in the 4th gens. I lost mine for a while & it was almost like having 2WD. Driving to the trail in absolute luxury & then doing some pretty serious wheelin' is very enjoyable. I'm a very cautious driver & always take my time, but am always up for a challenge, so the lockers are more to get me out of trouble, than into. I'm sure I'll rarely use the front, but while the diffs are open, might as well. Who's your buddy w/ the 06, there's only a handfull of 4th genners that actually wheel?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I think there are getting to be more and more. There's a couple on yotatech and another forum - toyota120.com is pretty much all 4th gens

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I think there are getting to be more and more. There's a couple on yotatech and another forum - toyota120.com is pretty much all 4th gens
Just can't do it can you? Why not bring the info here instead of directing people off to other sites?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
What - a list of people who don't participate on this board that have 4th Gens? :rolleyes:

He wasn't asking for info - just that he hasn't seen many people to talk to about 'wheeling 4th gens...

Oh - and instead of padding your post count with busting my chops, why don't YOU post something useful?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
What - a list of people who don't participate on this board that have 4th Gens? :rolleyes:

He wasn't asking for info - just that he hasn't seen many people to talk to about 'wheeling 4th gens...

Oh - and instead of padding your post count with busting my chops, why don't YOU post something useful?
Troy feel free to do a search on my posts. You will find more than enough tech. Sorry I didn't get all my post paddng in the Fuck the O's Post whore thread and directing folks to Yotatech. Then again when you brought it up the mod section about your redirects you said nothing then stayed hidden under Molly's skirt while she tried to defend you. Like I said previously if you know the tech then bring it here!

OP: Sorry for hijakking your thread.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while & am pretty close to pulling the trigger. The plan is 4.56 cryo'd R&P, solid pinion spacer, ARB front & rear. I've got spare diffs at a shop waiting for the green. I don't have time for a SAS or making a different rear fit, so I have to make the most of what I've got. It's got to stay streetable so I'll keep the IFS & deal with their limitations/challenge. I play almost exclusively in the rocks & want to push the 4R more than I already have. A 3rd vehicle is not an option, so this is my rig. Front & rear bumpers, full skids(budbuilt or custom) & beefed rear lower links are soon to follow. Just fishing for thoughts, comments, suggestions before I committ. It's some big $$. Thanks.
Talk to Bud about the skids. He's hell of nice guy and will bend over backwards to help you. Think about Long travel if you don't want to go the SAS direction. Most is pretty much bolt-in such as Total Choas kit and Camburg since your 4Runner uses that same front suspension as the 4 gen Tacomas. This will allow for added wheel travel to help keep your top heavy rig stable.

If you have access to a welder look into sleeving your current links or add some angle iron to the lower side to act like a gusset to keep them from bending on impact with rocks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do spend time on the 120 site, those are the handfull I referred to. Most info for 4th gens in one place. I come here for a non 4th gen opinion.

Bud just came out with a whole set of skids for the 4th gens, so we finally have a quality option. I'm still considering a custom full belly. Depends on cost. I thought about the TC when I first lifted, but decided it was overkill, now I'm kicking myself. I'll keep the hoes & get some more use out of them, for now. There are a few after market HD links out that I'll end up with, but I like the angle iron idea, almost like a skid for the links, I'll look into that.

It's always good to see another 4th gen gettin' used. Funny, I was on that site a few nights ago looking for info on the cryo treatment.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
HEY JP4CRAWLER, curious where you got or are getting your gears?? im doing about same thing, spent all day on comp and phone looking for 488's but nobody has them, all pro has 456's but they are 499$ plus 299$ for instal kit for the fronts, seems a little steep, i realize they are toy parts, but id like to do 2 arb's at same time as gears. im in a 03 v8 runner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are the 2 guys I've narrowed it down to. I'll probably send them to Dean, he's worked with the guy doing the install before & is close by. Thanks for the info.

There are no other options available for gearing. One guy tried to source some from Oz, but after getting them, they turned out to be wrong. AP is the only one available. It's not cheap, but nothing seems to be with the 4th gens. One other option is to pick up a used front diff & have a gear cutter make em what you want. I got a rear out of a Lexus for $300 shipped & the front for $340. They were in mint condition with only 8K miles. I saw others for a lot less. I'm going the AP route, as I've already blown the rear once & don't want to mess around with cutting. There is another co coming out with gears, I'll have to look it up & post later. They're supposed to be priced more reasonably, but not available for a few months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts